Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Bbc I Player Stuttering /buffering

Old 05-08-2013, 12:26
Sibeber
Forum Member

Hi All

I don't use the "smart" bit on my new Panasonic tv much but this morning I thought I'd watch the football league show but as I went into the menu i got a message that an update was needed so I duly put it in update mode which took about 30 mins once finished I tried to play the programme but it was stuttering very badly ..would this be down to the update ?

I'm not that bothered about this but was curious if anyone else had this issue and did they cure it .

Thanks
Sibeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:41
chrisjr
Forum Member

First thing, go here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics

and check your internet connection. That will eliminate a poor internet connection being the cause, or not as the case may be.
chrisjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:59
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

First thing, go here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics

and check your internet connection. That will eliminate a poor internet connection being the cause, or not as the case may be.
Always a good thing to try, however it's not the same feed as SMART TV's use, which seem to require considerably higher bandwidth than the normal computer iPlayer.

I went to a set on Saturday, complaining about iPlayer not working yet he claimed Netflix was perfect - it looked like the typical too slow Internet connection, so I got him to test his Internet speed, which was only 0.4Mbps

I can only surmise that Netflix can work at some really crappy bandwidths?, and with suitable 'quality'.
Nigel Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 13:03
Sibeber
Forum Member

Always a good thing to try, however it's not the same feed as SMART TV's use, which seem to require considerably higher bandwidth than the normal computer iPlayer.

I went to a set on Saturday, complaining about iPlayer not working yet he claimed Netflix was perfect - it looked like the typical too slow Internet connection, so I got him to test his Internet speed, which was only 0.4Mbps

I can only surmise that Netflix can work at some really crappy bandwidths?, and with suitable 'quality'.
Thanks Nigel ..will give it a go
Old 06-08-2013, 15:33
Sibeber
Forum Member

Thanks Nigel ..will give it a go
All working perfect today no buffering, thanks
Old 06-08-2013, 15:59
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

All working perfect today no buffering, thanks
Good

What did the speed test chrisjr suggested show?.
Old 06-08-2013, 20:59
alan1302
Forum Member

Netflix seems very good on slower connections - I started using Netflix about a week before getting BT Infinity installed and on my old 1.2 Mbit connection the picture was fine on Netflix.
alan1302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:42
Sibeber
Forum Member

Good

What did the speed test chrisjr suggested show?.
download speed 12894 kbps
streaming spead 12360 kbps

cheers
Old 10-08-2013, 12:34
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

download speed 12894 kbps
streaming spead 12360 kbps
That looks pretty good!
Old 13-08-2013, 09:42
eddie_hello
Forum Member

Re BbCiplayer stuttering. I spent several weeks playing around with Streaming using legitimate services as well as not so legitimate. I found that BBCiplayer is by far the slowest with constant buffering. The best streams I came across where the not so legitimate.
With regard to Netflix and Love etc. There is a group of International ISPs who are somewhat pissed of with the streaming channels and have been asking for more revenue. To this end they have resorted to throttling.
Youtube stuttering. There is a youtube video that gives a direct URL to youtube that connects much faster and never stutters.
http://techglimpse.com/index.php/spe...ng-windows.php
eddie_hello is offline   Reply With Quote