Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Should They Update The Regeneration sequence?

Old 06-08-2013, 01:20
dublintvfan
Forum Member

Would you like too see an updated regeneration sequence for 11th doctors exit?

is time to go away from the bursting into flames into a a morph cgi with matt dying in claras arms ect and suddenly he begins to glow and morph into peter or do you have any other ideas?

Any thoughts?
dublintvfan is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:24
Piipp
Forum Member

I like it how it is now. I think keeping it also delivers some good consistency but I wouldn't put it past Moffat to change it up for Capaldi's introduction.
Piipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:27
CoalHillJanitor
Forum Member

I'd like to see it done differently every time. Moffat should theoretically be down wit dat.
CoalHillJanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:39
sebbie3000
Forum Member

I'd like to see it done differently every time. Moffat should theoretically be down wit dat.
I can't remember which interview it was - it was a few years ago now - but SM said he'd wanted the regeneration kept the same for DT to MS, as it kept a consistency between the Doctors. I really can't see him changing it due to that, although I personally prefer that he would.
sebbie3000 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:13
CoalHillJanitor
Forum Member

I can't remember which interview it was - it was a few years ago now - but SM said he'd wanted the regeneration kept the same for DT to MS, as it kept a consistency between the Doctors. I really can't see him changing it due to that, although I personally prefer that he would.
Yeah, it would really be more consistent to be inconsistent.
CoalHillJanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:56
So 3008
Forum Member

The eruption effect has been used seven times since the revival (by three different people) - for millions of viewers that is what regeneration looks like and so should continue to be used in my opinion. It's too well established and gives a nice constituency to the process.
So 3008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:25
heatherfeath39
Forum Member

The eruption effect has been used seven times since the revival (by three different people) - for millions of viewers that is what regeneration looks like and so should continue to be used in my opinion. It's too well established and gives a nice constituency to the process.
Agreed the SFX as well as the Murray Gold music signals a regeneration and gives it a nice continuity between different Doctors.

Just wonder if Matt will get an Ood and a whole theme song to sing Eleven to sleep.
heatherfeath39 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:12
somerset fox
Forum Member

Hmmm, seeing as the Dr regenerates into someone older, perhaps he doesn't regenerte, but grows older through some sci fi means. Or, (blue sky thinking here), perhaps John Hurt regenerates into PC. has the numbering system used against the Drs (CE is 9, DT is 10 etc) ever been canonically stated? just the rambling thoughts of a too tired man in need of sleep...
somerset fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:58
Mrfipp
Forum Member

I like the effects themselves, the bright golden lights, but I do think they should be toned down a bit.I sort of want the Doctor back to regenerating on the TARDIS floor, and I don't think it would look right.
Mrfipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:18
TEDR
Forum Member

has the numbering system used against the Drs (CE is 9, DT is 10 etc) ever been canonically stated?
Doesn't Smith refer to himself as the eleventh in The Lodger? Tennant also makes reference to having regenerated half a dozen times since he left Sarah Jane, but he may be speaking approximately.
TEDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:17
hypergreenfrog
Forum Member

I wouldn't want too much of a change, after all it is the same thing phenomenon to the same individual - but maybe just some small change for the detail-obsessed fans (this is a compliment, btw) to notice?
hypergreenfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:19
greymarl
Forum Member

I far prefer the old regenerations (Baker to Davison is my favourite, if anyone's interested ) - this orange fireworks and gurning does nothing for me really, it's all a bit OTT.
greymarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:47
Bizza
Forum Member

I hope the keep it the same, I also hope Matt goes out with a bit more dignity than Tennent did.

"I don't what to go" Yes you do David, that's why you're regenerating
Bizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:50
Pull2Open
Forum Member

I far prefer the old regenerations (Baker to Davison is my favourite, if anyone's interested ) - this orange fireworks and gurning does nothing for me really, it's all a bit OTT.
Thing is, the 'old regenerations' didn't exist, they were all different. The Baker/Davison one was only ever used once (as good as it was) So far the NuWho regeneration sequence has stabilized the process.

I must admit, there used to be a degree of excitement about how they would do it each time!
Pull2Open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:55
greymarl
Forum Member

Thing is, the 'old regenerations' didn't exist, they were all different. The Baker/Davison one was only ever used once (as good as it was) So far the NuWho regeneration sequence has stabilized the process.

I must admit, there used to be a degree of excitement about how they would do it each time!
Yes, I mean the general style of them - much more calm and laid back
greymarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:55
HappyTrucker
Forum Member

While I'm not that keen on regenerations happening standing up all the time now - if he's critically ill or injured, standing could, or should, be nigh on impossible - I'm happy for the effect to be the same but with just one change: better morphing effects from one Doctor to the next. I've always found the morph effect to look really........meh. But maybe that's just me expecting too much from a TV show.
HappyTrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:59
Pull2Open
Forum Member

While I'm not that keen on regenerations happening standing up all the time now - if he's critically ill or injured, standing could, or should, be nigh on impossible - I'm happy for the effect to be the same but with just one change: better morphing effects from one Doctor to the next. I've always found the morph effect to look really........meh. But maybe that's just me expecting too much from a TV show.
Eccleston to Tennant worked well in terms of morphing but Tennant to Smith was not as good because the back ground flames made editing very difficult!
Old 06-08-2013, 10:05
Doktor Dances
Forum Member

Eccleston to Tennant worked well in terms of morphing but Tennant to Smith was not as good because the back ground flames made editing very difficult!
Well RTD wanted to screw over Moffat as much as he could, I'm surprised he didn't bring in dancing girls and a CGI bunny-rabbit just to get the whole set.
Doktor Dances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:12
wazzyboy
Forum Member

Much as Matt has expressed his concerns about playing out the scene, part of me wants to see a much slower and more gradual degeneration and regeneration. Something that happens over the course of the episode. CE to DT is about the nearest we've had to this where he was ailing for most of the first ep as DT.
wazzyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:15
Pull2Open
Forum Member

Well RTD wanted to screw over Moffat as much as he could, I'm surprised he didn't bring in dancing girls and a CGI bunny-rabbit just to get the whole set.
Oh please!
Old 06-08-2013, 10:22
scumcat
Forum Member

I hope the keep it the same, I also hope Matt goes out with a bit more dignity than Tennent did.

"I don't what to go" Yes you do David, that's why you're regenerating
when watching this when Tennant says "i dont want to go" i always say "should of signed the contract then" it always makes me smile, sad i know
scumcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:26
Doktor Dances
Forum Member

The 10 regeneration was the largest "rug pulling" exercise I've ever seen. A calculated and contrived series of events to ensure Moffat had the worst possible hand-over.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:32
JDEsseintes
Forum Member

I think it'll be done differently this time. The same stance and effects, probably, but in terms of direction and perhaps narrative I think they'll put a new spin on it.

Not that they need to.

EDIT: I had a funny idea that Eleven - once aware that he would soon regenerate - would write a farewell letter to Clara, or, rather bizarrely, his future incarnation. Probably too self-indulgent, more so than Tennant's.
JDEsseintes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:43
QuantumLeap
Forum Member

Just wonder if Matt will get an Ood and a whole theme song to sing Eleven to sleep.
God, I hope not.
QuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:52
Doktor Dances
Forum Member

Agreed the SFX as well as the Murray Gold music signals a regeneration and gives it a nice continuity between different Doctors.

No. Please. no.