Options

Scottish referendum poll

smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
Forum Member
I've just done a quick check and the last DS poll on Scottish independence was way back in January 2012, when the question hadn't been decided and people were still talking about devo max.

At that time the results were:
Scottish voter - yes = 18.5%
Scottish voter - devo max = 4.5%
Scottish voter - no = 10.4%
Not Scottish voter - yes = 42.77%
Not Scottish voter - devomax = 5.78%
Not Scottish voter - no = 18.5

Back then I was in favour of devo max, and against full independence, now I'm firmly undecided

Should Scotland be an independent country? 156 votes

Scottish voter - yes
24% 38 votes
Scottish voter - undecided
3% 5 votes
Scottish voter - no
21% 33 votes
Scottish but not registered - yes
0% 1 vote
Scottish but not registered - undecided
0% 0 votes
Scottish but not registered - no
1% 3 votes
Neither Scottish nor registered - yes
19% 30 votes
Neither Scottish nor registered - undecided
3% 6 votes
Neither Scottish nor registered - no
25% 40 votes

Comments

• Options
    Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well deserved bump for this elaborate poll :)
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would hate Scotland to leave the union
  • Options
    NoSmokeNoSmoke Posts: 1,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put me down for Not Scottish Voter - Yes :)

If you included all the English voters in the referendum, Scotland would be on it's bike quicker than a rat up a kilt.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've stuck myself down as undecided, but don't get a vote. I started off in the No camp, then went for Yes, but now think it's a massive gamble that might go either way. Just depends on how brave the Scots are feeling in 2014 and how hard they're willing to make sure the whole thing works if Yes wins the day.

BTW, unlike the poster above me here's one Englishman that will happily accept whatever Scotland chooses. If that's independence then we should ensure the breakaway goes smoothly. Ensuring a sovereign Scotland gets a good start is in the best interests of England and Wales too.

Meanwhile if the vote is No then we all need to lobby Westminster to sort out the current mess we have in devolution. Time to move the UK to a real federal structure.
  • Options
    NoSmokeNoSmoke Posts: 1,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting though that the non Scottish Yes vote is higher than the Scottish Yes vote. :D
  • Options
    OrriOrri Posts: 9,470
    Forum Member
    Shouldn't it simply be, registered to vote in the referendum or not. Just to be clear that in this context scottish voter refers to locality rather than place of birth?
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    NoSmoke wrote: »

If you included all the English voters in the referendum, Scotland would be on it's bike quicker than a rat up a kilt.

This is both true and funny :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Orri wrote: »
    Shouldn't it simply be, registered to vote in the referendum or not. Just to be clear that in this context scottish voter refers to locality rather than place of birth?

A Scottish voter is anyone who is, or is likely to be, registered to vote in the referendum. I split out the non registered Scots to see what feeling there was from the exiles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A Scottish voter is anyone who is, or is likely to be, registered to vote in the referendum. I split out the non registered Scots to see what feeling there was from the exiles.

Then scottish resident might have been a less ambiguous way of phrasing it. For instance is someone scottish but not registered someone born in Scotland but not registered to vote in Scotland or simply someone living in Scotland who isn't registered?
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There doesn't seem to be anywhere for me to vote in the poll.

I'm not Scottish, but I am registered to vote.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    If I lived in Scotland, it is highly likely that l would be voting SNP and supporting full independence. That said, I expect a 'No' vote in the referendum because of all the uncertainty and fear caused by the 2007 economic crash (take note, Premier Marois).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be anywhere for me to vote in the poll.

I'm not Scottish, but I am registered to vote.

If you're registered to vote in the referendum then for the purposes of this poll it's the Scottish registered options that are of concern.
  • Options
    AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Interesting though that the non Scottish Yes vote is higher than the Scottish Yes vote. :D

There are at least 9x more non-Scots in the UK than Scots - so hardly remarkable, unless the proportion exceeds that!
  • Options
    Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Interesting that the points of the referendum have been looked at by the rest of the UK electorate and that a lot agree with the aims of Scottish independence. Seems to me that they are listening.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just done a quick check and the last DS poll on Scottish independence was way back in January 2012, when the question hadn't been decided and people were still talking about devo max.

Why have you gone with a loaded question?

It's loaded in the sense that most right minded people would have to vote yes on the basis of "never say never" because it's only asking about it in principle - not in the current climate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Auld Snody wrote: »
    Interesting that the points of the referendum have been looked at by the rest of the UK electorate and that a lot agree with the aims of Scottish independence. Seems to me that they are listening.

Not sure that's the case. Some will be those who actually believe that Scotland as a whole is a drain on the economy of the UK. Some will be those who believe that without Scotland the Conservatives will be victorious at the next Westminster GE. Some might believe that Scotland is more liable to vote to remain in the EU and might swing the result of a referendum. Some might believe that. regardless of the truth of it, the perception of Scotland dominating the Labour party is eroding its electability in England. I'd expect that after independence the focus of the xenophobia will turn more fully on Wales but never mind. Some may even be scots abroad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rusty123 wrote: »
    Why have you gone with a loaded question?

It's loaded in the sense that most right minded people would have to vote yes on the basis of "never say never" because it's only asking about it in principle - not in the current climate.

It's the same wording as the referendum question, so hardly loaded.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the same wording as the referendum question, so hardly loaded.

So you're defending one loaded question by comparing it to another.

Weird.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Weird.

He's saying it's identical to the referendum question insisted upon by the Electoral Commission. As such you'd be best addressing your concerns to them.

Now what he seems to be after, although there is a minor amount of confusion, is an estimate of how those eligible to vote and registered to do so, those eligible to vote but not registered and those ineligible to vote would answer that question.

If there's any loading it's in the possible answers rather than the question itself. However from his replies it's a simple mistake in setting them up rather than a deliberate ploy.

However the main problem is the last question confuses the issue given that not being scottish in terms of eligibility to vote implies you aren't registered.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Weird.

I really don't understand your point. Are you saying the poll should have asked a different question to the one being asked on the referendum? What would you prefer?
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Unionists had abandoned the carping about 'loaded questions' a year ago, when the Electoral Commission agreed to the wording of the question? What next - renewed demands to 'have it now and get it out of the way'?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Orri wrote: »
    He's saying it's identical to the referendum question insisted upon by the Electoral Commission. As such you'd be best addressing your concerns to them.

Now what he seems to be after, although there is a minor amount of confusion, is an estimate of how those eligible to vote and registered to do so, those eligible to vote but not registered and those ineligible to vote would answer that question.

If there's any loading it's in the possible answers rather than the question itself. However from his replies it's a simple mistake in setting them up rather than a deliberate ploy.

However the main problem is the last question confuses the issue given that not being scottish in terms of eligibility to vote implies you aren't registered.

There are 4 possible types of voters:
    1. Scottish and registered to vote in Scotland
    2. Not Scottish and registered to vote in Scotland
    3. Scottish and not registered to vote in Scotland
    4. Not Scottish and not registered to vote in Scotland
    Types 1 and 2 are combined. Simples:)
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Auld Snody wrote: »

We know that you don't believe this! But it's quite nice that you give the rest of the UK more credit for understanding the points of the referendum than your fellow Scots ;)

The English have been in favour of Scottish independence for as long as the Scottish have been opposed to it...
  • Options
    Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    We know that you don't believe this! But it's quite nice that you give the rest of the UK more credit for understanding the points of the referendum than your fellow Scots ;)

The English have been in favour of Scottish independence for as long as the Scottish have been opposed to it...

Well it would be nice to think that the debate has gone to the rest of the UK and that they see the merits of Scottish independence.
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    scottish voter - YES

what some need to remember is this is not a vote for the SNP or Alex Salmond like the no campaign would have you believe, this is a vote to decide the future of our country.