Options

Itv soap ad shown a lot lately

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
Forum Member
... Not that it's a bad thing I'm glad they have itv have given there soaps a brill ad and the airtime they deserve but the way it's being shown its like the way they advertise X factor or I'm a celeb non stop a few weeks before they are back on air. I was wondering what u think, do you think they advertising it loads to ensure maximum viewers for the autumn and winter months against EE? Is there logic or a motive behind advertising loads, it's not like the soaps are not highly popular anyway.

Comments

• Options
    The Queen VicThe Queen Vic Posts: 5,775
    Forum Member
    I genuinely think ITV is seeing just how bad EE is and it's obviously slipping in the ratings (beaten by Corrie by 1.8 million on a Friday night is a really bad look!).

Also, it's the summer so less people watch generally so they want to remind people! Aha.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think it's partly to do with ratings. EastEnders is looking a bit weak, with Emmerdale beating it a few times and I think ITV are taking advantage by ramping up the promos for Emmerdale and Coronation Street. Emmerdale has been rating pretty well these past few weeks - I think ITV are maybe hoping that some of Corrie's regular viewers also become Emmerdale viewers, and vice versa, boosting Emmerdale's figures even further and creating a stronger soap hour overall.
  • Options
    BeaconboofBeaconboof Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the ad pretentious. Not because of the Shakespeare extract but because the actors clearly don't have an affinity for the classics and don't really seem to understand what they're saying.
  • Options
    The Queen VicThe Queen Vic Posts: 5,775
    Forum Member
    Beaconboof wrote: »
    I find the ad pretentious. Not because of the Shakespeare extract but because the actors clearly don't have an affinity for the classics and don't really seem to understand what they're saying.

I wholeheartedly agree.

It's slightly cringeworthy to see it.
  • Options
    Bobby_MarzBobby_Marz Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I LOVE the advert!

And its what ITV do, same with the "DRAMA LIVES ON ITV" - "NEWS LIVES ON ITV" show them not stop, now there not on anymore, even though the news is still there ect.
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wholeheartedly agree.

It's slightly cringeworthy to see it.

To be fair some seem to have a better grasp of it. ED's Cameron, Debbie, David and Cain particularly.

CS - I like Peter, Tina, Hayley. David and Lloyd (considering he's a poet) dreadful.

Apt lines really in tune with the characters.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree about some of their delivery, really shows what limited "actors" some of them are. But some of them are good.
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sw2963 wrote: »
    To be fair some seem to have a better grasp of it. ED's Cameron, Debbie, David and Cain particularly.

CS - I like Peter, Tina, Hayley. David and Lloyd (considering he's a poet) dreadful.

Apt lines really in tune with the characters.

Hayley and Peter are great !
    I quite like Lloyds actually.
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    Hayley and Peter are great !
    I quite like Lloyds actually.

I really love this advert and find it classy and different, great idea to blend the soaps together.

I think it has been made to 'celebrate' the soaps and also as promotion.

After seeing Cain in this advert I am thinking of watching Emmerdale :cool: yes I am that shallow :p
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the lines seem really apt for the characters, particularly Hayley's!
  • Options
    CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it, particularly the way they've managed to give each character a line that's apt for them. I think they do a good job, and Cameron especially gives me the creeps, he looks like the living dead:eek:
  • Options
    TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    I agree about some of their delivery, really shows what limited "actors" some of them are. But some of them are good.

Agree with this^^ Some just seem to be repeating parrot fashion but others have a great delivery.
    I'm finding Peter (cs) more yummy by the day :D wondered if I could hire him to quote Shakespeare to me :o:o
  • Options
    Lucylocket88Lucylocket88 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    I love Emmerdale and Coronation Street, but the advert is rubbish. I would have rather seen the advert with advanced storylines and characters from both soaps, not a daft poetry reading.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    The advert is annoying.
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a good advert - the Emmerdale cast are very strong in it, as are Hayley and Peter from Corrie - to say that they don't understand the meaning behind the lines is to imply that 'mere' soap actors can't do Shakespeare. Again, the prejudice against soap actors - who let's remember are mostly trained actors who are lucky enough to gain regular work in a soap - is very unfair. They could have gone with the usual round of explosions, high drama etc in the advert but they chose to do something a bit more creative. Certainly in the case of the characters mentioned the lines were well chosen to reflect their storylines.
  • Options
    thismorningfanthismorningfan Posts: 1,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it be cryptic spoilers that we have to work out?
  • Options
    mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,811
    Forum Member
    I am quite happy to see Debs sitting on that swing
  • Options
    rolergirlrolergirl Posts: 5,205
    Forum Member
    Rita the luvvy hams it up like nobodies business!!
  • Options
    rubberduck3y6rubberduck3y6 Posts: 18,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mo mouse wrote: »
    I am quite happy to see Debs sitting on that swing
    It's nice seeing her not looking miserable for once!
  • Options
    rapunzel4rapunzel4 Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can anyone post a link please? not seen this - maybe its not been shown here?
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rapunzel4 wrote: »
    can anyone post a link please? not seen this - maybe its not been shown here?

it's on the ITV Emmerdale site, and unlike a lot of their content it does work up here! It's probably on the STV one too, but you might have to rake around a wee bit. Sorry, I would post a link, but I can never get them to work!
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beaconboof wrote: »

It reminds me of when my English teacher picked me to read out the part of Desdemona in class. I just had to go through the motions :o
  • Options
    miavivmiaviv Posts: 3,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrishaS wrote: »
    Agree with this^^ Some just seem to be repeating parrot fashion but others have a great delivery.
    I'm finding Peter (cs) more yummy by the day :D wondered if I could hire him to quote Shakespeare to me :o:o

I'll chip in if you like and I'll bring the popcorn