Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Microsoft remove Kinect requirement for Xbox One

Old 13-08-2013, 10:57
Speedloafer
Forum Member

Yet another 180 from the PR disaster that is the Xbox one. Why not make all these changes at once in a big fanfare announcement. All these changes over time will confuse people as to what it actually does now. At the moment it still comes packaged with the Kinect which means now you are paying for something that you not only don't want, you dont actually need. (I know a few diehards will tell you they want the Kinect but they will only say that as long as MS are backing it)

In addition to reversing its used game DRM policies for Xbox One, Microsoft has revealed that the console will no longer require Kinect to function. In our latest Ask Microsoft Anything, Xbox Corporate Vice President Marc Whitten revealed that Xbox One owners will be able to use all of the console's core functions regardless of whether the new Kinect sensor is connected. Naturally, many of the tentpole features of the new Kinect, such as player identification, voice commands, etc., will be disabled as a result, but players will still be able to play games and access entertainment content.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/08/1...ct-to-function
Speedloafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 13-08-2013, 11:09
ixHellstormx
Forum Member

As it's no longer needed then take it out of the box and drop the price of the console.....result !
ixHellstormx is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 11:17
kendoguk
Forum Member

It's not really that confusing to keep up.
kendoguk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 11:21
Speedloafer
Forum Member

It's not really that confusing to keep up.
Keep up, thats it exactly. By the time the thing is released how many more changes will be made?
Old 13-08-2013, 11:25
jokerz
Forum Member

As it's no longer needed then take it out of the box and drop the price of the console.....result !
This is probably what they will do next and drop the price to be more competitive with the PS4.

They have so got it all wrong so far!
jokerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 11:26
Red Arrow
Forum Member

Keep up, thats it exactly. By the time the thing is released how many more changes will be made?
What else has changed apart from DRM and self-publishing?

I'm loving the comments on the DS article about people complaining about MS doing a 180 again. I really don't see what people are moaning about to be honest. The main thing MS did wrong was their market research, but then again it only takes a few people to moan on the Internet about something to get the ball rolling.

People complained about the DRM and having Kinect "spy on them" so MS have removed it. People now complain about MS doing a 180. Jeez.

MS years ago never listened to customer feedback for anything, now they are and are getting slatted for it.
Red Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 11:28
kendoguk
Forum Member

Nothing really just more MS bashing as it seems the in thing at the moment.
kendoguk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 11:35
ixHellstormx
Forum Member

With all the 180's MS have done, their heads must be spinning.
Old 13-08-2013, 11:38
Red Arrow
Forum Member

With all the 180's MS have done, their heads must be spinning.
Again, what other 180's apart from DRM and self-publishing have they done?
Old 13-08-2013, 11:42
Hotbird
Forum Member

MS years ago never listened to customer feedback for anything, now they are and are getting slatted for it.
I never really understood this mentality, if you complain about a company (Or Government for that matter) not listening to feedback you cannot then turn around and throw U-Turn or 180 in their face when they do listen and change things.

Family share
Hotbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 11:44
Red Arrow
Forum Member

Does that not fall under the DRM change or is that the Family Live accounts?
Old 13-08-2013, 11:50
Hotbird
Forum Member

Does that not fall under the DRM change or is that the Family Live accounts?
Possibly.
Old 13-08-2013, 11:53
Philip Wales
Forum Member

What else has changed apart from DRM and self-publishing?

I'm loving the comments on the DS article about people complaining about MS doing a 180 again. I really don't see what people are moaning about to be honest. The main thing MS did wrong was their market research, but then again it only takes a few people to moan on the Internet about something to get the ball rolling.

People complained about the DRM and having Kinect "spy on them" so MS have removed it. People now complain about MS doing a 180. Jeez.

Hang on a minute didn't MS say at E3 that the Kinect was integral to the operation of the Xbox1 and that the planet would burt into flames should you try to use it without. Now it's not integral, so does that mean your only getting half the user experience, with a rushed new OS.
Philip Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 11:58
Hotbird
Forum Member

Hang on a minute didn't MS say at E3 that the Kinect was integral to the operation of the Xbox1 and that the planet would burt into flames should you try to use it without. Now it's not integral, so does that mean your only getting half the user experience, with a rushed new OS.
Just like online if you don't connect the Kinect you will get a lesser experience, but you might actually want that lesser experience. MS are just giving people the choice they should have done from the start.

Now its up to MS to create the software and experiences to make people want to connect up their Kinect unit. They have certainly achieved this with online, I doubt many people serious about gaming would have their console offline. Sadly they have yet to really demonstrate why I should connect up my Kinect, there are no compelling games and no compelling features.
Old 13-08-2013, 12:00
Red Arrow
Forum Member

First I've heard about them rushing the OS. Can you give more info?
Old 13-08-2013, 12:03
ixHellstormx
Forum Member

It's not how many they have done, it's the fact that they keep changing things that's pissing people off but at least they are listening. And what about the inclusion of a headset with the new console, first it was no then maybe.....make up yer mind ffs and stop ****ing around.
Old 13-08-2013, 12:08
munta
Forum Member

DRM (used game sales + Regional Locks + Playing without disk)
Self-Publishing
Always On-line
Family Sharing (Game sharing + Game roaming)
Mandatory Kinect
Headset
munta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 12:12
Flawed-Tactics
Forum Member

To hear one has only to listen. Well known quote that Microsoft has being doing a lot of and I for one dont see what the problem is.

Maybe its upsetting a few ps4 people I honestly don't know, but ms got it so wrong out of the gate, what we're seeing now is them putting a few things right.

It's all good as far as I can see.
Flawed-Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 12:12
gamercraig
Inactive Member

So now if you use an Xbox1 without Kinect it will be like using Windows 8 on a desktop PC. At least they're consistent
gamercraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 12:14
fastest finger
Forum Member

DRM
Self-Publishing
Always On-line
Family Sharing
Mandatory Kinect
Headset.....
fastest finger is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 12:16
munta
Forum Member

Thanks - I'll edit
munta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 12:19
Philip Wales
Forum Member

First I've heard about them rushing the OS. Can you give more info?
That was speculation on my part, but I would imagine it's like writing a desk top OS that uses a mouse, then being told actually there is no mouse, so can you please re-write the os, only they have less than 2 months to get it sorted.

Has the Xbox made it to FCC yet?
Philip Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 12:22
ixHellstormx
Forum Member

The point is this could all have been avoided.
Old 13-08-2013, 12:38
Red Arrow
Forum Member

DRM (used game sales + Regional Locks + Playing without disk)
Always On-line
Family Sharing (Game sharing + Game roaming)
All of this was part of the DRM changes.

And the headset? Really come on?! People are classing them including one as a 180 change too?
Old 13-08-2013, 12:40
Speedloafer
Forum Member

Its a "thing" because we all said from Day 1 what they were doing was wrong. They told us we were wrong and they told us this is what we wanted. Then they backtrack when they realise they were wrong, so yes they will be bashed. For every change they make that gamers have said from the start "Don't do that/we don't want that" they will be bashed. And they deserve it. It could have easily been avoided and if they had all these changes in one go it wouldn't be nearly as bad.