Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Doctor Who action figures?

Old 19-08-2013, 22:57
Scorpio2
Forum Member

Are the Doctor Who figures not as popular anymore? I remember every shop used to have them and there was a huge selection of characters. But now you barely see them and they don't make as many aliens or companions anymore and the worst of all is that the new ones size has been downgraded.
Scorpio2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 19-08-2013, 23:09
cylob49
Forum Member

Are the Doctor Who figures not as popular anymore? I remember every shop used to have them and there was a huge selection of characters. But now you barely see them and they don't make as many aliens or companions anymore and the worst of all is that the new ones size has been downgraded.
The new line is doing quite well and the Classic line is still very popular with collectors. You dont see them in supermarkets anymore but they are selling well in FP.
cylob49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 00:54
MikaRimmer
Forum Member

I hate the new line, love the characters they've chosen for it, but hate the fact that they are 3.5 inches. I can't mix my collection together and have Clara the same scale as everyone else, or the Ice Warrior, etc. It really bugs me.
MikaRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 11:09
Brass Drag0n
Forum Member

Yeah, I've collected all the various 5" Cyberman figures and have them standing together on a shelf... but the latest version will look like a sodding Hobbit if I stand him with the rest of them.
Brass Drag0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 13:46
Shawn_Lunn
Forum Member

I only got the Clara one from the new line up.
Shawn_Lunn is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 23:20
dashyork42
Forum Member

Its annoying how they've gone down to the new size. I have all the Doctors and now won't be able to get John Hurt's Doc or Peter Capaldi's in 5 inch! Wonder which clown decided to downsize them?! :/
dashyork42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 10:26
Listentome
Forum Member

Its annoying how they've gone down to the new size. I have all the Doctors and now won't be able to get John Hurt's Doc or Peter Capaldi's in 5 inch! Wonder which clown decided to downsize them?! :/
I think they thought the 5" were less popular with kids than the general 3.5" action figures. It's us adults that like the 5" ones, hence why the classic series figures have remained 5".

I think they will make 5" versions of Capaldi and maybe Hurt too as some sort of collector's set.
Listentome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 11:24
Brass Drag0n
Forum Member

Supposedly, the sales of the 5" figures aren't very good either and that future releases will be fewer and will be more focused on variant colour schemes and less on new models.

I see the 2nd wave of sound FX Daleks are down to 4 figures (there were 6 in the 1st wave).

Not sure how the Toys R Us Doctor and Dalek sets are selling so far? But I assume the 11th Doctor with metallic blue Stratagist Dalek, 3rd Doctor with "invisible" Dalek and the 8th Doctor with red Dalek Alpha will fly off the shelves whn they finally come out.
Brass Drag0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 00:32
YorkshireKat
Forum Member

These are tempting....

http://dw-figurines.com/
YorkshireKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 00:36
Scorpio2
Forum Member

I think they thought the 5" were less popular with kids than the general 3.5" action figures. It's us adults that like the 5" ones, hence why the classic series figures have remained 5".

I think they will make 5" versions of Capaldi and maybe Hurt too as some sort of collector's set.
I find that strange. Don't kids usually like figures bigger? The reason for the figures being down sized is probably the budget.
Scorpio2 is offline   Reply With Quote