Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

SPICE GIRLS - Under rated

Old 25-08-2013, 02:29
Tillymint82
Inactive Member

Just listening to Spice girls and my god what a nostalgia trip! Pure joy on film and vinyl!

Its stirs so many happy emotions in me!
Tillymint82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 25-08-2013, 04:31
John_Lochery
Forum Member

Me too. I was obsessed with them from age 5-10 years old. My mum and Dad knew every song lyric and basically every line from the movie and it wasn't their choice to haha. I used to play them non stop. some songs I cant listen to anymore because it makes me really emotional. particially 'love thing' because that used to be my favourite song as a kid and if I listen to it now it makes me cry.
but recently I was listening to 'do it' and I still love that song! wish they would reunite again for a tour and come to Scotland
John_Lochery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 08:07
mushymanrob
Forum Member

underrated?... only by idiots!

i think that generally they get/got the recognition they deserved and their place in pop history is sound.
mushymanrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 11:04
zeze88
Forum Member

i think that generally they get/got the recognition they deserved and their place in pop history is sound.
I agree. I never was a fan of Spice Girl, bu even I am very well aware of their huge success - I mean, selling 46 million album copies with only 2 releases is just incredible.

So, i definitely think this thread is wrong because they certainly weren't underrated back then, and they aren't now - they will be remembered in the pop history without a doubt.

Maybe you should rename it as "Spice Girls nostalgia" as that is what OP was talking about in the first post.
zeze88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 11:57
Lucylocket88

I agree. The Spice Girls were huge, so I do not understand how they are underrated. If any girl group is underrated, in my opinion, it is The Saturdays.
Lucylocket88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 12:13
Makson
Forum Member

underrated?!! um how exactly??
Makson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 12:40
dee123
Forum Member

I think Viva Forever is underrated.... and that's about it.
dee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 14:11
BRITLAND
Forum Member

I agree. The Spice Girls were huge, so I do not understand how they are underrated. If any girl group is underrated, in my opinion, it is The Saturdays.
Girls Aloud? They could of been very popular in the States?
BRITLAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 14:18
Corabal
Forum Member

Underrated, what?
Corabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 14:20
Harper_Milne
Forum Member

yeah....really...really underated.. who the heck is the spice girls?
Harper_Milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 14:53
Makson
Forum Member

Living through Spice-mania from 96 to 98 was absolutely crazy.
Their faces were everywhere....from deodorants to crisp packets!
Old 25-08-2013, 16:04
_Magnum_
Inactive Member

Living through Spice-mania from 96 to 98 was absolutely crazy.
Their faces were everywhere....from deodorants to crisp packets!
Very true I was around 13 - 15 during that time and remember every boy in high school had to say which Spice Girl he wanted to "get off with" some even said they'd have babys face and Gingers tits and Posh' legs lol

I said my fave was Victoria at that time lol
_Magnum_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 16:33
That_Guy
Forum Member

Jesus, can you ever not ruin threads with your insulting comments? Seriously, you are unbelievably arrogant.
That_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 16:37
Makson
Forum Member

Very true I was around 13 - 15 during that time and remember every boy in high school had to say which Spice Girl he wanted to "get off with" some even said they'd have babys face and Gingers tits and Posh' legs lol

I said my fave was Victoria at that time lol
I was around 11 at the time and everyone (male and female) in my class had their desks covered in spice girls stickers...it was considered the height of coolness
Old 25-08-2013, 19:29
chrissielatham
Forum Member

Just listening to Spice girls and my god what a nostalgia trip! Pure joy on film and vinyl!

Its stirs so many happy emotions in me!

They were never underrated, from 1996-1999 they were absolutely everywhere, they were massive.

The girl group that got it all, fame fortune and power.
chrissielatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 19:38
Squealer_Mahony
Forum Member

It's interesting, personally I don't hear their songs much in the 90s flashback segments of radio shows but Wannabe seems to be on the music tv channels a lot.
Considering how huge they were at the time I would expect to hear their music (other than wannabe) more often. I'm not complaining though as I wouldn't be a fan.
It's just interesting as I would hear an array of Take That songs in day to day life but not Spice Girls. So while they weren't underated maybe the songs got lost in the hype
Squealer_Mahony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 19:50
Hit Em Up Style
Forum Member

It's interesting, personally I don't hear their songs much in the 90s flashback segments of radio shows but Wannabe seems to be on the music tv channels a lot.
Considering how huge they were at the time I would expect to hear their music (other than wannabe) more often. I'm not complaining though as I wouldn't be a fan.
It's just interesting as I would hear an array of Take That songs in day to day life but not Spice Girls. So while they weren't underated maybe the songs got lost in the hype
Spice Girl songs just haven't aged that well. I think that's part of the problem.

2 Become 1 is always played both on TV and on radio throughout December though.
Hit Em Up Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 20:10
_Magnum_
Inactive Member

from 1996-1999 they were absolutely everywhere, they were massive
Did the group actually do anything in 1999 other than those December gigs?

1999 was the year of Geri Halliwell the solo artist.
Old 25-08-2013, 20:10
_Magnum_
Inactive Member

Spice Girl songs just haven't aged that well. I think that's part of the problem.

2 Become 1 is always played both on TV and on radio throughout December though.
Too Much & Goodbye get played a lot at Xmas aswell.
Old 26-08-2013, 07:34
mushymanrob
Forum Member

Jesus, can you ever not ruin threads with your insulting comments? Seriously, you are unbelievably arrogant.
one day, just one day, you might, just might, add something to the topic being discussed without recourse to throwing insults about at people. i note its not just me you have a go at, but recently 'unique' too. is that all you do? think its clever to take a pop at people who clearly have well rounded, intelligent opinions to try to make you look good?

my comment was a perfectly vallied one as only an idiot could think the spice girls are underrated. there acheivements are being well documented on several threads atm.

ruined a thread?.. just how did i do that? people are still posting, offering opinions on the subject to hand....all except you that is.
mushymanrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 08:04
That_Guy
Forum Member

Yes mushy. I'm sorry. You're not arrogant at all. Maybe one day, just one day you'll understand.
Old 26-08-2013, 08:05
That_Guy
Forum Member

Too Much & Goodbye get played a lot at Xmas aswell.
2 Become 1 always reminds me of Christmas.
Old 26-08-2013, 10:05
RabidWolverine1
Forum Member

Im a 24 year old guy, Spice Girls isn't the type of Music I listen too but even I appreciate just how huge they were (I have a few cheeky songs of their's hiding away on my Ipod)

Also makes me fully appreciate just how much of a creative and marketing genius Simon Fuller is, he created the perfect campaign and the perfect girl band. I wish I could have been Spice Girls manager for just 1 year...Never would have had to work again

Helps that Mel C & Emma B were easy on the eyes too
RabidWolverine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 10:23
Cheap Thrills
Inactive Member

I think their ballads have aged better than a lot of their more upbeat songs. 'Viva Forever' is still a really nice song.
Cheap Thrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 12:23
WhisperingGhost
Forum Member

I think their ballads have aged better than a lot of their more upbeat songs. 'Viva Forever' is still a really nice song.
I think Say You'll Be There still sounds as fresh today as it did then. I agree with songs like Wannabe and Spice Up Your Life though.

What a great time to grow up!! They were everywhere constantly, they even regularly made headline news on the News At Ten and were spoken about in Parliament. There really was no getting away from them.

I'm also glad they were out before the Internet was huge. Their sales are phenomenal and waiting on the fortnightly Smash Hits magazine to read the next interview/photo shoot with them was so exciting. Nowadays it would be an interview on Popjustice/DS with no anticipation or excitement beforehand. They made everything they did an identifiable event!!

My fave Spice moment - Ben Elton introducing them before their 1997 Brit Awards performance. It was an introduction of superstar proportions (considering they had only been around for 7 months) and you could feel the buzz in the auditorium. Then, 5 puffs of smoke and a Union flag dress later, there they were!!

http://vimeo.com/m/17399309
WhisperingGhost is offline   Reply With Quote