Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Beyonce - Run The World

Old 29-08-2013, 00:58
VoodooChic
Forum Member

One of the biggest flop comebacks this century - she thought by having a "crazy out there" song with little melody she would score big.....but it really is one of the worst songs of all time.
She has yet to top Crazy In Love for me - and I see her more as a dancing robot than a superstar
VoodooChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 29-08-2013, 01:19
gpk
Forum Member

its not one of her better songs, another female empowering concept, when she had done that many times already and better. however, the video and billboard music award performance were amazing to be fair and "4" is my favourite solo album by her.
gpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 02:22
Zone_Out
Forum Member

"Baby boy & sweet dreams" are probably my fave singles from her.

She's done all the empowering female songs time and time again. & theme I expect her to carry on with onto her next album whenever that is. rtw was awful. I agree about her billboards performance being great, despite it being "influenced" by someone elses performance
Zone_Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 02:51
gpk
Forum Member

"Baby boy & sweet dreams" are probably my fave singles from her.

She's done all the empowering female songs time and time again. & theme I expect her to carry on with onto her next album whenever that is. rtw was awful. I agree about her billboards performance being great, despite it being "influenced" by someone elses performance
apparently, she met up with the people that put the graphics together for the performance which inspired her, but even so, she give that performance her all and she held her hands up during that backlash.
gpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 06:44
Hollie_Louise
Forum Member

The song has grown on me, admittedly only through the live performances because I love the choreography
Hollie_Louise is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 09:12
ItsTimmyTime
Forum Member

One of the biggest flop comebacks this century - she thought by having a "crazy out there" song with little melody she would score big.....but it really is one of the worst songs of all time.
She has yet to top Crazy In Love for me - and I see her more as a dancing robot than a superstar
That's a bit extreme.

Granted, it didn't sell well for Beyoncé, but that song still gets played loads in nightclubs and most people (Girls) rush the dancefloor. Most people belt along with the chorus and most people enjoy the song. They just didn't buy it.

I think it underperformed and fell flat because it was hyped as a Single Ladies 2.0. It's a solid pop song in my books!
ItsTimmyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 10:26
Ciccone Youth
Forum Member

It was so weak - what was she thinking?

And it was SO obvious they were aiming for a ''Single Ladies''-style hit, with the faux-minist chants and hoping-for-viral video, and then with it being tacked on to the end of the album with nothing in common with the rest of it - it deserved to flop.
Ciccone Youth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 11:16
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

Not a fan of this song really. It's very annoying. What was she thinking?
cnbcwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 12:36
Master Ozzy
Forum Member

I think the song was a bit ahead of its time. It's still played all the time in clubs, at festivals, onmusic channels etc. I wouldn't call it a flop at all. She opens her most recent tour with the track and the crowd go wild.
Master Ozzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 12:43
paltonz
Forum Member

I wouldn't call it a total flop, but she did underperform very much when it came down to sales. I hated this song though because that was the song where she really started to be full of herself. In fact, I really hated Best Thing I Never Had for that very same reason. It was like Irreplaceable but in a more unlikeable manner.
paltonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 12:56
Mark-Anthony
Forum Member

Definitely in the minority here but I love it and much prefer it to the annoying and overrated single ladies. IMO of course
Mark-Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 13:23
d56
Forum Member

The song has grown on me, admittedly only through the live performances because I love the choreography
Same here! I love the live performances.

First time I heard the song I thought it was a mess though, such a disappointment from Beyonce. Interested to hear what sound she will go for with the new album.
d56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 13:27
umr3000
Forum Member

Run The World (Girls) was most definitely an underwhelming lead song for her album 4. I just feel it wasn't all that inspiring and the theme of female empowerment and independence is something she has sang about loads that it has now become so predictable and repetitive.

I think musically Beyoncé really needs to step up her game for her next album, maybe something more alternative and edgy could help her standout and progress her career to the next level.
umr3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 14:47
LW09

I think the song was a bit ahead of its time. It's still played all the time in clubs, at festivals, onmusic channels etc. I wouldn't call it a flop at all. She opens her most recent tour with the track and the crowd go wild.
It only does well in clubs because she slapped her lyrics on top of Pon De Floor by Major Lazer which was a pretty big club song before Beyonce released Run The World.
LW09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 15:59
Makson
Forum Member

Run The World was totally Beyonce-by-numbers.....dull dull dull
Makson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 20:27
fkinhell
Forum Member

Sexist rubbish
fkinhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 20:39
Sick n Sexified
Forum Member

It was dreadful. End Of Time (a more mastered version, obvs) would've been a fabulous lead single.
Sick n Sexified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 21:07
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

Definitely in the minority here but I love it and much prefer it to the annoying and overrated single ladies. IMO of course
Single Ladies is dreadful. I remember when it came out first it was overplayed and overplayed until people got sick of it. I'm only a casual Beyonce fan but I've heard better from her than that.
Old 16-09-2013, 21:35
Squealer_Mahony
Forum Member

When she says "run this mother-" does she mean "mother ****er" coz it sounds like that's what she's about to say and if so I have a little rant to go with it but if that's not what it means then there's no point
Squealer_Mahony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 21:49
homer2012
Forum Member

How long ago did this song get released? Got to dance ruined the song by almost every girl act using the sample
homer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 21:52
homer2012
Forum Member

Biggest flops u kidding?

Have you seen the chart positions for this song?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_the_World_(Girls)
homer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 21:56
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

How long ago did this song get released? Got to dance ruined the song by almost every girl act using the sample
Summer 2011 I think.
Old 16-09-2013, 22:40
Tel69
Inactive Member

I don't mind Beyonce but Run The World is just noise, awful.
Tel69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 10:37
Journal
Forum Member

It may not have set the charts alight, but it certainly made a distinct impression on the masses. This song, and video, were all I could ever hear of in its day. I mean, 'flop?' Ha!
Journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 18:25
digichant
Forum Member

It's not her best song but it's certainly not "one of the worst of all time". Very negative thread out of nowhere 2 years later just to attack Beyonce

Lame.
digichant is offline   Reply With Quote