Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

VuTV: New premium pay TV service on Freeview HD channel 238

Old 29-08-2013, 07:56
a516
Forum Member

I've had a press release this morning (see website) regarding VuTV, which appeared on channel 238 earlier this week:

VuTV will air on Freeview channel 238 and allow subscribers to enjoy a range of premium channels from established, well-known and valued brands. A+E Networks, Viacom International Media Networks and Turner Broadcasting are the first major broadcasters to sign up to VuTV, making channel favourites such as Comedy Central, HISTORY®,H2®Crime & Investigation Network®, Nickelodeon, Nicktoons, Nick Jr., Cartoon Network, Boomerang and Cartoonito, available to Internet-connected Freeview HD homes.

VuTV is borne out of a desire to offer consumers the opportunity to access premium content via compatible Freeview HD TVs and set-top boxes. Unlike traditional Pay TV providers, VuTV will offer these channels for a low monthly subscription with no long-term contract, providing consumers with great value and hassle-free flexibility.
I've been informed more details about the launch date and subscription pricing will be made during IBC2013.
a516 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 29-08-2013, 09:51
TV Time Mike
Forum Member

So something similar to what Top UP TV use to provide on DTT some years ago.

If it works it could be very useful for those with suitable compatable TV's etc.
TV Time Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 10:16
Everything Goes
Forum Member

If it works it could be very useful for those with suitable compatable TV's etc.
Will be IPTV delivery like Connect offers at the moment.
Everything Goes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 10:39
a516
Forum Member

I think its a fantastic concept, although I think it would be nice to have the VuTV channels getting their own LCNs, instead of the current trend to have loads of channels behind one channel number.
Old 29-08-2013, 11:33
roadshow2006
Forum Member

What is the compatible technology?
roadshow2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 11:44
chrisy
Forum Member

What is the compatible technology?
MHEG-IC with the streaming media extension.
chrisy is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 12:41
freetoview33
Forum Member

Seems good to me!
freetoview33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 16:13
Everything Goes
Forum Member

Except it doesn't work on a lot of TV's and Set Top Boxes

See threads on Connect, The Space and the Music Channels that CH4 has.....

Bit more on it here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08...orth_watching/
Everything Goes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 19:13
Homers
Forum Member

I think its a fantastic concept, although I think it would be nice to have the VuTV channels getting their own LCNs, instead of the current trend to have loads of channels behind one channel number.
I totally agree with you. Keep in mind though that Freeview would no longer be a fully 'free' service, or is VuTV simply a seperate service?
Homers is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 19:20
freetoview33
Forum Member

Would this be compatible
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-....html#longDesc
freetoview33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 19:56
chrisy
Forum Member

Except it doesn't work on a lot of TV's and Set Top Boxes
People tend to be willing to get compatible equipment in order to utilise subscription services. In this case, you just need something new-ish, not something exotic.

I don't think this will be a barrier at all, and it will be cheaper than the TUTV Anytime boxes that a lot of people seemed happy to buy for less content.
Old 29-08-2013, 20:03
smoothieahoy
Inactive Member

For IDTVs, I bet it will probably either only work on certain models/makes of TV and/or require CI+ compatibility!
smoothieahoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 20:12
a516
Forum Member

I totally agree with you. Keep in mind though that Freeview would no longer be a fully 'free' service, or is VuTV simply a seperate service?
Freeview is really just a brand to promote free-to-air digital terrestrial TV channels. The platform is really "digital terrestrial television [DTT]", and it's had pay TV on it since 2004 after a (nearly) two year gap from the end of ITV Digital.

It is a shame that devices with MHEG-IC compatibility can't have a standalone logo on equipment, rather than being hidden behind the Freeview HD standard. As a result of the current branding and marketing arrangements, consumers are told they need a Freeview HD device to receive a service that is neither free nor in HD.
Old 29-08-2013, 20:16
a516
Forum Member

For IDTVs, I bet it will probably either only work on certain models/makes of TV and/or require CI+ compatibility!
It will only work on the latest Freeview HD devices (most 2012 models onwards), but there's no need for a viewing card - so CI+ compatibility is not an issue.

Tip: can you already watch CCTV on channel 226? If the answer is yes, then your receiver is most likely going to be compatible with VuTV when it launches during the 4th Quarter of 2013.

It is unlikely to be made available on YouView receivers, despite these being Freeview HD devices: understandably BT and TalkTalk will want you to go to them for such extra channels.
Old 29-08-2013, 20:29
misar
Forum Member

It will only work on the latest Freeview HD devices (most 2012 models onwards), but there's no need for a viewing card - so CI+ compatibility is not an issue.
What technology will they use to limit access to monthly subscribers, as in the press release?
misar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 20:36
a516
Forum Member

What technology will they use to limit access to monthly subscribers, as in the press release?
A similar technology to that already used by Vision TV Network (225), which offers several different subscription packages under one channel number.
Once the service is ready, potential viewers will be redirected to a screen with details on how to subscribe and what to do to access the streams once they have subscribed.
Old 29-08-2013, 20:36
2corney
Forum Member

whats the guessing that NowTV joins FreeviewHD using the same technology (once they have enough registered users) and sets up a VuNow tv package . seems strange that the VuTV channels are News Corp channels... just saying ! SKY by the back door!
2corney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 20:40
a516
Forum Member

whats the guessing that NowTV joins FreeviewHD using the same technology (once they have enough registered users) and sets up a VuNow tv package . seems strange that the VuTV channels are News Corp channels... just saying ! SKY by the back door!
NowTV/Sky is using the Roku route to get extra viewers with Freeview.

The VuTV channels announced thus far are in fact operated by Viacom (MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central), Turner (CNN, Cartoon Network, Boomerang) and A+E Networks (History, H2, Bio).

And thus any speculation that any of these channels may appear on Freeview one day soon can be put to bed...!
Old 29-08-2013, 20:53
2corney
Forum Member

Ahh yes but all joint ventures with sky,
Old 29-08-2013, 20:54
misar
Forum Member

A similar technology to that already used by Vision TV Network (225), which offers several different subscription packages under one channel number.
Once the service is ready, potential viewers will be redirected to a screen with details on how to subscribe and what to do to access the streams once they have subscribed.
What I meant to ask was how does it work. How does the system used by Vision TV Network (or whatever) allow them to enable display of what is (I assume) encrypted data only on specific TVs or boxes? Is the required decryption software part of the Freeview HD spec. which allows viewing of the 220 series channels?
misar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 20:55
2corney
Forum Member

VuTV parteners
http://www.vision21.tv/for-who/
Old 29-08-2013, 20:58
chrisy
Forum Member

Username/password authentication. The account could potentially be paired to a device, I'm not sure if Vision do that currently, but I'd expect VuTV to require that as it is more premium.

The VuTV channels announced thus far are in fact operated by Viacom (MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central), Turner (CNN, Cartoon Network, Boomerang) and A+E Networks (History, H2, Bio).

And thus any speculation that any of these channels may appear on Freeview one day soon can be put to bed...!
CNN was of course on Freeview in the past!
Old 29-08-2013, 21:00
chrisy
Forum Member

What I meant to ask was how does it work. How does the system used by Vision TV Network (or whatever) allow them to enable display of what is (I assume) encrypted data only on specific TVs or boxes?
It won't be encrypted. It's streamed over the Internet, so unless you have an active account the box won't be able to access the streams.
Old 29-08-2013, 21:01
omnidirectional
Forum Member

Ahh yes but all joint ventures with sky,
Sky have no stake in MTV and the Turner channels.
omnidirectional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 21:04
chrisy
Forum Member

The website is now up at http://www.vutv.com/
You can "check your compatibility" by going to Ch238. Here it just says "coming soon".
There's also a space to request a beta invite.