Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Pat and Cabbage

Old 11-09-2013, 14:29
verity65
Forum Member

It was dire and I gave it a go because of the actors,shall not be tuning in again
verity65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 11-09-2013, 14:43
Flukie
Forum Member

Why is she called Cabbage?

While trying to find out I found this - about it being commissioned.

http://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001051/

Red's Nicola Shindler, who will act as the Executive Producer on Cabbage And Pat, told Broadcast in an interview: "Cabbage And Pat has something really special: genuinely fresh and funny writing at its heart. Amy and Beth have created two extraordinary characters who, after coming through a life-changing event, have a brand new perspective on life and are fully launching themselves into a brave new world with gusto, warmth and humour."
Flukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 14:56
DJW13
Forum Member

In her early days she was a model who featured in a campaign to make us eat more cabbages... Well, that's what Cherie said when interviewed.
DJW13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 14:56
Flukie
Forum Member

Cabbage is really Jean. She was called Cabbage cos years ago she was a model and she did something about eating Cabbage.

Good job she wasn't advertising Laxatives.
Flukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 21:05
bill luvs t.v
Forum Member

I just watched this and it has picked up mAssively made me chuckle a good few times
bill luvs t.v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 21:07
Creamtea
Forum Member

Is cabbages son supposed to be some young stud? Or is he meant to be some ageing 40 something looking mid-life crisis man?
Creamtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 22:24
Hotgossip
Forum Member

It was terrible last week and even worse this week. It is totally unfunny and I only had it on whilst I was waiting for something else ..... and knitting!

I will never watch it again. Worst prog on TV.
Hotgossip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 22:35
square_eyes
Forum Member

I thought it was quite quite good tonight
square_eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 22:53
Steve9214
Forum Member

How come one daughter grew up in Bolton?
Judging by Diane Morgan's accent, in fact all three of the same family have wildly varying accents.

Edit; I thought that was Emma Kennedy
She was better as Philomena Cunk - the talking head in Charlie Brooker's "wipe" programmes
Steve9214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 23:53
Lenitive
Forum Member

While trying to find out I found this - about it being commissioned.

http://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001051/

Red's Nicola Shindler, who will act as the Executive Producer on Cabbage And Pat, told Broadcast in an interview: "Cabbage And Pat has something really special: genuinely fresh and funny writing at its heart. Amy and Beth have created two extraordinary characters who, after coming through a life-changing event, have a brand new perspective on life and are fully launching themselves into a brave new world with gusto, warmth and humour."
Interesting - I've only seen the first ep (and thought it unremarkable) but I hadn't known it was EP'd by Shindler. I'll give the rest of the series a shot.
Lenitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 15:36
bob up and down
Forum Member

She was better as Philomena Cunk - the talking head in Charlie Brooker's "wipe" programmes
I KNEW I had seen her somewhere before..... she was Philomena Clunk .

The programme was bloody awful though. Laura Solon doing her bit from the Harry Enfield show..... Polish coffee waitress. Same old same old.
bob up and down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 11:21
crisso69
Forum Member

Since I'm a male divorcee in this age range I really wanted this to succeed. However, it's just boring unfunny garbage and a waste of two fine actresses.

Their offspring are virtually anonymous and have no personalities nor sympathetic traits at all. Where are the ex-husbands? That could have made it slightly more interesting.

What happened to Peter Davidson (the male interest) from episode one? In reality though, once he had met the fit Cabbage, he would surely have dropped his interest in the more frumpy Pat and transferred his affections to the former!
crisso69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 11:37
NaturalDancer
Forum Member

The title was enough to put me off!
NaturalDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 22:52
Leicester_Hunk
Forum Member

Since I'm a male divorcee in this age range I really wanted this to succeed. However, it's just boring unfunny garbage and a waste of two fine actresses.

Their offspring are virtually anonymous and have no personalities nor sympathetic traits at all. Where are the ex-husbands? That could have made it slightly more interesting.

What happened to Peter Davidson (the male interest) from episode one? In reality though, once he had met the fit Cabbage, he would surely have dropped his interest in the more frumpy Pat and transferred his affections to the former!
He turned up again last night.
Leicester_Hunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 22:56
Cestrian18
Forum Member

I think I may be the only person in the country that quite likes this, its sweet and while there are no laugh out loud moments, bits do put a smile on my face and its really easy to watch, I can't see what's in it that makes people feel so strongly negative about it. Then again I liked Me and Mrs Jones and that was similarly panned so maybe I have awful taste
Cestrian18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 18:30
anne_666
Forum Member

It's dreadful!
anne_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 01:07
skp20040
Forum Member

Ok there are no gut wrenching raw out loud moments but those seem few and far between in todays comedies, but its ok and not something I would say deserves such bad reviews.
skp20040 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 15:41
Staffsyeoman
Forum Member

Wanted to like it as have been a fan of Lunghi and Flynn for years, not least that they have the sexiest voices in media. But then they have to do 'oop north' accents for this...(yes, I know Cherie's from Nottingham) It paled very very quickly.

And this might be a bit anorak, but the change from 'Cabbage and Pat' to 'Pat and Cabbage' just kept me going back to the old soldiers' nickname for the cap badges of the Hampshire Regiment and the York and Lancaster Regiment... which have in their centres a Tiger over a White Rose. Known as ..... the Cat and Cabbage... Had to keep telling myself PAT... not CAT...

Disappointed.
Staffsyeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 21:32
fizzler333
Forum Member

I watched this tonight as bugger all else was on and wasn't paying attention until they were at the wine tasting and a bloke chatted up Barbara Flynn, me and the husband both said at the same time ' Who is he' does anyone know what his name is and what else he has been in?
fizzler333 is offline   Reply With Quote