Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/series-8-for-autumn-2014-52931.htm

Hopefully it will be a full series with no splits

Comments

• PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it was speculated and expected. I just hope we don't have a split this time; it'll do Capaldi no favours in winning over the audience if we get five episodes a year.
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its worth the wait if the acting and stories are better and we get the full series without the annoying split
  • joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully no split series. Those have not been good for the show IMO and done Matt no favours either. I kind of agree with the article that it doesn't seem to be the force it was in chris or David's heyday. Certainly promotion of the show on BBC has not been as prominent. And the next series loses an episode. Lets hope moffatt can turn things around with the new doctor. Matt has been great and I do feel sorry for him because of all the issues caused behind the scenes and senior producers appearing to not being able to manage it.
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That article is basing it on what the Guardian says. They probably received a copy of the leaked email about 11s departure and series 8 airing in autumn and I assume this information comes from that leaked email. I don't see how this changes anything and it doesn't prove series 8 won't air in late summer.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it will be 6 episodes from August 2014 onwards, then the Christmas episode, then 6 more in March/April 2015. Unless you have the whole series in the Spring (i.e. like it used to be) there's actually no other option. They won't have Who and Atlantis on at the same time. In fact, this year, Atlantis is guaranteed to take a break the Saturday of the 50th.

The BBC will prefer this option, without a doubt. It helps fill out their broadcast slate. Saying that...the biggest clue to series 8's fate will be what the BBC do with their Spring 2014 schedule, i.e. what they fill the gap left by Doctor Who with. If it is a series that can return the following year, maybe just maybe the whole of series 8 will broadcast Autumn 2014 after all.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Please no series split. Please no series split. Please no series split. Please no series split. Please no series split. Please no series split. Please no series split. Please no series split. Please no series split. Please no series split. Please no series split. Please no series split.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they do another series split it will be the death knell for the current iteration.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please no series split. Please no series split. Please no series split. Please no series split. Please no series split. Please no series split. Please no series split. Please no series split. Please no series split. Please no series split. Please no series split. Please no series split.

Instead of doing that here, you should really tweet them, message them, whatever. They won't see that message here, but enough calls for no splits and they might get the message. They certainly did with the moaning about the missing Christmas special on the series 7 boxset.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    I think it will be 6 episodes from August 2014 onwards, then the Christmas episode, then 6 more in March/April 2015. Unless you have the whole series in the Spring (i.e. like it used to be) there's actually no other option. They won't have Who and Atlantis on at the same time. In fact, this year, Atlantis is guaranteed to take a break the Saturday of the 50th.

The BBC will prefer this option, without a doubt. It helps fill out their broadcast slate. Saying that...the biggest clue to series 8's fate will be what the BBC do with their Spring 2014 schedule, i.e. what they fill the gap left by Doctor Who with. If it is a series that can return the following year, maybe just maybe the whole of series 8 will broadcast Autumn 2014 after all.

...Except that the leaked email specified an unbroken 12 episode run, to help viewers get used to the new Doctor. A far better option all round, even if series 9 ends up being split, series 8 shouldn't be.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,911
    Forum Member

They've also got their remake of the Three Muskerhounds, with Mr. Capaldi, to broadcast at some point as well. That's another Saturday evening drama isn't it?
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    If they do another series split it will be the death knell for the current iteration.

No it won't, stop being so melodramatic.
  • ChapwithwingsChapwithwings Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Big assumption that Atlantis will get a second series there. I hope it's good but the subject matter for the BBC's non Doctor Who fantasy output is becoming more and more 'left field' as the years go by.

Maybe they could do a crossover though. DW has only destroyed Atlantis 3 times so once more can't hurt
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    these splits are pointlesss. No other BBC show does this to a 13 episode run.
  • LathamiteLathamite Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    >No other BBC show does this to a 13 episode run.

A contradiction in terms. It's not a 13 episode run and it's not really a "split" either. It's two different series, on two different production schedules. Calling it the same series is just wanky rhetoric to disguise this.
  • Richard_WatsonRichard_Watson Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Lathamite wrote: »
    It's not a 13 episode run and it's not really a "split" either. It's two different series, on two different production schedules. Calling it the same series is just wanky rhetoric to disguise this.

That said all of the advertising for 7B pushed it as being a "new" series; which given the change in titles, characters, costumes and sets it clearly was. But if they'd actually called it Series 8 then there'd be no way of denying that there'd been a reduction in production.
    Forum Member
    Instead of doing that here, you should really tweet them, message them, whatever. They won't see that message here, but enough calls for no splits and they might get the message. They certainly did with the moaning about the missing Christmas special on the series 7 boxset.

That's not such a bad idea. :D
    Forum Member
    No it won't, stop being so melodramatic.

It won't do Capaldi any favours, that's for sure. Having to wait six months after just five or six episodes before we see the remaining episodes would be a terrible way to introduce his Doctor.

Better to give us a straight run to allow room for Twelve to breathe. If they decide to split series 9 that won't be so bad, it won't be ideal by any means but I would rather they split series 9 than 8.
  • W._O._FrobozzW._O._Frobozz Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    They are really asking for trouble if they keep with these awful split seasons.

The only thing the BBC accomplished with the last split season was the total loss of interest in the show from every kid in my house. Well that and the lackluster "blockbuster" scripts.
  • snakecharmer37snakecharmer37 Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Its worth the wait if the acting and stories are better and we get the full series without the annoying split

That's the problem, many especially casual viewers and children won't wait that long. When Doctor Who does finally show it's new face again, people aren't going to be bothered.
    I have a feeling that the BBC and Moffat are going to regret these poor decisions. It will also make Capaldi's job that much harder to bring the viewers back. Plus, he can only do that if the scripts are any good. Will they be? Well, only time will tell.
    What many people don't seem to grasp is that this year, all we can expect is two, yes two new episodes. Seeing as the last lot were left overs. To me, it is a disgrace.
    We are waiting all this time for the 50th. Then another long wait until the Christmas Special. Then it's a ridiculous wait until the new series. If that's the best way to treat a supposed prosperous and successful show, then im Harry Potter.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    They are really asking for trouble if they keep with these awful split seasons.

The only thing the BBC accomplished with the last split season was the total loss of interest in the show from every kid in my house. Well that and the lackluster "blockbuster" scripts.

Only one family losing interest? That's a pretty good result then.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What many people don't seem to grasp is that this year, all we can expect is two, yes two new episodes. Seeing as the last lot were left overs. To me, it is a disgrace.

I'd be willing to bet that most viewers don't see it that way (and in fact, are unaware of the shooting schedules). And I bet that few see them as you do - "left-overs" (implying something that wasn't really wanted or was unused).

We are waiting all this time for the 50th. Then another long wait until the Christmas Special.
    So let's see, the 50th is broadcast on 23rd November 2013, whilst the Christmas Special is likely to be broadcast on the 25th December 2013. Now looking at my calendar, I make that just four and a half weeks. Yes, Just over one month. To call that "a long wait" is OTT in the extreme.
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    I'd be willing to bet that most viewers don't see it that way (and in fact, are unaware of the shooting schedules).

I do think most of the people who watch are more than capable of noticing that there's less Who now than there was in the past (or the same amount but every two years as some people try and paint it) regardless of whether they know the actual reasons for it or not.

(The dropping sales of DWA show the results of this on the younger end of the audience.)
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    So let's see, the 50th is broadcast on 23rd November 2013, whilst the Christmas Special is likely to be broadcast on the 25th December 2013. Now looking at my calendar, I make that just four and a half weeks. Yes, Just over one month. To call that "a long wait" is OTT in the extreme.

How about this then? Two episodes between May 2013 and September (or even October) 2014.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think most of the people who watch are more than capable of noticing that there's less Who now than there was in the past (or the same amount but every two years as some people try and paint it) regardless of whether they know the actual reasons for it or not.

(The dropping sales of DWA show the results of this on the younger end of the audience.)

Which does not relate to the other part of the quote:

Seeing as the last lot were left overs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about this then? Two episodes between May 2013 and September (or even October) 2014.
    How about it? The reply was concerning Nov 2013 and Dec 2013

And without mentioning the "entitlement" word that seems to provoke such a reaction here, I can't comment any further