Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

A good VPN service for accessing geo-blocked website content

Old 04-09-2013, 15:30
NoEntry2k
Forum Member

I’m looking for some advice and guidance… can someone recommend a good VPN service that will allow me to access geo-blocked content on the internet? I want something I can use to watch online streaming videos on US websites like NBC, CBS, ABC etc.
I know some websites, such as Hulu, are often very quick to block such methods, so which service is current the best was to access most geo-blocked content?

I’d be primarily interested in free options, but particularly good/cheap subscriptions would also be considered.

Is Hot Spot Shield still considered one of the best free options?

Thanks in advance.

NoEntry2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 04-09-2013, 16:08
Mr Dos
Forum Member

HSS is ok for free. It can be annoying because it keeps trying to connect even when you don't need it - so I have it in a virtual machine. HSS also has browser ads, but Firefox Adblock fixes that. See snip of Hulu in the free VMware player.

http://s23.postimg.org/3lrrgotnf/hulu_vm.jpg
Mr Dos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 16:09
Stig
Forum Member

I use Unblock-US for Netflix. It's not free, but very good.
Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 16:19
DJGM
Forum Member

Media Hint is a good add-on for Firefox, in that it effectively ignores the geo-IP blocking without the use of a VPN,
especially the god-awful HotSpot Shield, which is buggy, slow, mostly unreliable, and is infested with adware.

(Media Hint works on SeaMonkey too after hacking the install.rdf component contained within its xpi file.)
DJGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 16:59
Loobster
Forum Member

I use ibVPN. Admittedly I only use it the other way (to view UK based content from the US). But ibVPN offer plans for just UK+IE or just US, or global connection options.

I pay $20 for 6 months and it works great for online catchup and live TV etc. Mostly use it with BBC but also works with Channel4, 5, ITV, etc.
Loobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 17:03
Troy Tempest
Forum Member

HotSpot Shield's Ok for the odd episode or to hide your ID in WiFi cafes and the like, but as been said, it's a bit heavy going on the browser and ad-laden, although the paid version is supposed to be Ok.

I've used an extension for Chrome browser, Hola!, for watching stuff on Hulu, FoxTV, SyFy, and it's worked well.
Troy Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 17:14
JulesandSand
Forum Member

I've used Strong VPN for the last 3 years - I have the $55 pa account and it hasn't let me down yet.
JulesandSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 19:33
REDBUS
Forum Member

http://www.anonymox.net/en free and easy to use , set to 5 country's default , us.a. , u.k. ect ,only enable when using and disable when not ,1 click to set to what region you need , no need for paid version imo
REDBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 21:53
Orbitalzone
Forum Member

ANother vote for media hint... free, easy and well worth a try... I was using it the other day to watch some brand new Family Guy's from Fox's website.
Orbitalzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 20:19
LION8TIGER
Forum Member

ANother vote for media hint... free, easy and well worth a try... I was using it the other day to watch some brand new Family Guy's from Fox's website.
I tried Media Hint and like another similar one I could not stop it from being active all the time. What I mean is in Firefox under options, advanced, network, settings it would re-tick itself next to Automatic Proxy Configuration URL no matter which other option I ticked.
LION8TIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 21:51
Beagslife
Forum Member

I’m looking for some advice and guidance… can someone recommend a good VPN service that will allow me to access geo-blocked content on the internet? I want something I can use to watch online streaming videos on US websites like NBC, CBS, ABC etc.
I know some websites, such as Hulu, are often very quick to block such methods, so which service is current the best was to access most geo-blocked content?

I’d be primarily interested in free options, but particularly good/cheap subscriptions would also be considered.

Thanks in advance.

I can't help with free services but I've used OverPlay and UnBlock-Us in the past, along with a host of Hide my IP type services.

I finally settled on OverPlay's SmartDNS service. It gives me what I need, along with flexibility and good support backup when needed. I'd imagine some of the other services aren't too far behind, but reliability over a number of years now, has me down as a loyal customer.

I'm Irish and live abroad. These type of services allow me to watch Irish content. It's also great for the main US content sites.

MC
Beagslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 22:22
Orbitalzone
Forum Member

I tried Media Hint and like another similar one I could not stop it from being active all the time. What I mean is in Firefox under options, advanced, network, settings it would re-tick itself next to Automatic Proxy Configuration URL no matter which other option I ticked.

Hmm no problems for me but I do disable it in the firefox 'manage add on' section as it did slow down general web browsing a little, then enable it when I wanted to use it.
Orbitalzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 22:38
LION8TIGER
Forum Member

Not sure I looked there (the obvious place) and yes I noticed the slowing down.
LION8TIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 23:16
TheTruth1983
Forum Member

Best way with Mediahint is just disable the add on when you don't want it active. Thank God it does not require a restart of the application.
TheTruth1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 23:17
TheTruth1983
Forum Member

For VPNs, it is hard to beat Unblock US. It isn't a traditional VPN so you do not get any performance degradation but you still get access to US based services. You can choose other countries too.
TheTruth1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 23:24
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

http://www.anonymox.net/en free and easy to use , set to 5 country's default , us.a. , u.k. ect ,only enable when using and disable when not ,1 click to set to what region you need , no need for paid version imo
I sometimes use that as a Firefox extension but it doesn't really work all that well. It's a bit on and off.
cnbcwatcher is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:05
Stig
Forum Member

For VPNs, it is hard to beat Unblock US. It isn't a traditional VPN so you do not get any performance degradation but you still get access to US based services. You can choose other countries too.
What I like about Unblock-US is that it works for non-PC devices such as an iPad or AppleTV.
Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:17
REDBUS
Forum Member

I sometimes use that as a Firefox extension but it doesn't really work all that well. It's a bit on and off.

can't say i've had any issue's with it TBH ,maybe a little slower than my 60MB , doe's have nag screen than pop's up now and then ,rarely use plug-in tbh but it's free can't complain ,doe's the job
REDBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:10
gother
Forum Member

I use Unotelly it's not free but it's fast and one of the best i've come across.
gother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:39
Beachcomber
Forum Member

I use AdTelly. Again, not free, but reliable and fast.
Beachcomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 18:46
JulesandSand
Forum Member

I use AdTelly. Again, not free, but reliable and fast.
I gave that a go - it reduced my Infinity from 78Mbps to around 10. Maybe they limit the speed for the free trial - if they do it's counter-productive.
JulesandSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 13:09
NoEntry2k
Forum Member

Thank you all for your comments. You’ve given me a number of options to explore, so thanks.
NoEntry2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 08:38
omipalone
Forum Member

I use https://www.bestvpn.com/blog/3711/pr...access-review/ and haven't had any issues with it.but it is a pay only service & has no free trial of the service.
omipalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:10
xander63
Forum Member

Thanks in advance.

http://hola.org/ For Google Chrome

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/hola/ For Firefox

Work well on NBC, CBS, ABC etc
xander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 13:38
oilman
Forum Member

There is a great alternative now to VPNs i.e. Smart DNS servers.
With a VPN, you are using the specially encrypted VPN servers, and this is great for more confidential work, there is inevitably a performance loss.

Overplay.Net,and VPNUK.INFO (two I have used, but there are others do smart DNS servers. For Overplay the cost is c. £3.33 per month.

Basically, you are provided with the names of DNS Servers, which "magically" make you look as if you are from the country in question.

In all other aspect's you are surfing the net as normal (you are not using VPN servers), and so the traffic is as normal i.e. not specially encrypted etc. Overall surfing this way can be faster (if VPN is heavily loaded say).

The real beauty is you can set the DNS Server adresses in yout router, and assuming your PC/android/IOS is set to get automatic DNS server addresses from the router gateway, then all devices that attach to the server can also use the same smart DNS server.

You do not need any additional software at all.

Some routers e.g. modern Sky routers do not allow you to change the DNS server, but you can work around by connecting a second router (sky router LAN port connects to WAN input of second router). All devices are connected to second router and you set DNS in second router. You would normally switch off sky wifi and connect to wifi of second router.

There are many guides on how to connect two routers (be careful many guides connect routers LAN to LAN - this is just using the second router as a LAN - You nned LAN to WAN with seond router on its own IP subnet).

I have set my system up this way using Overplay, and I can access English channels all over the world inc. USA, NZ, Australia, Canada, Ireland, South Africa.

Of course, if security is important, use VPNs. If your main (as you state) activities are video/tv streaming, I would strongly suggest use of Smart DNS.
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote