Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Game Difficulty

View Poll Results: What Difficulty Do You Choose?
Very Easy 4 5.63%
Easy 8 11.27%
Normal 46 64.79%
Hard 7 9.86%
Very Hard 1 1.41%
Anything Else , Like Veteran Etc 5 7.04%
Voters: 71. You can't vote on this poll right now - are you signed in?

Old 05-09-2013, 22:29
STeely
Forum Member

Top Spin 4 is a fine tennis game , until you reach the grand slam semi final , then it becomes virtually impossible , as the cpu player becomes super human , so i saved it before the semi final and kept replaying it , but never winning , this was on normal ,so today i switched it to easy , won easily , but i dont like playing on easy!!
STeely is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 05-09-2013, 22:50
AcidVenus
Forum Member

Maybe the AI learns how you play and you have to change your game. I think they did this with an NHL game so you couldn't score the same goals but I've not bought an NHL game for a few years now so not sure.

I play a lot of FIFA and no matter who my opponent is in the cups, once I get to the quarter final the game is always harder, doesn't matter if I'm against Barcelona in the Champions League or Stevenage in the League Cup. It's not as impossible as your game seems though!
AcidVenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 23:21
Ladyxxmacbeth
Forum Member

Because I rent games I like to put it on easy so I can enjoy the game without it taking too long. I did play metro last light twice. Once on easy and again on hard but that is area liked enjoy the game and I don't like dying
Ladyxxmacbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 23:38
thomas2400
Forum Member

I tend to play most games on their default difficulty which is normal

I like to play it on that first because its basically how the developers intended the game to be, then if i like the game i'll do it again on harder difficulties

I usual do CoD on normal and then veteran, with the occasional hard in between, i also played the uncharted trilogy and the last of us on Normal, then hard and the crushing/survivor
thomas2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 23:39
Jimmy_McNulty
Forum Member

I don't think games should have pre defined difficulty settings.
Jimmy_McNulty is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 23:41
silentNate
Forum Member

I chose Normal for the poll but I'm still trying to find an Easy mode for Super Meat Boy
silentNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 00:14
Conroy
Forum Member

Since around 2009 I tend play on the hardest difficulty available for the majority of my games, however there are a couple which I know are beyond my ability (such as the Ninja Gaiden's or Killzone 2) so I wimp out and play it on normal or one down from the hardest.
Conroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 00:28
Chparmar
Forum Member

I normally choose hard. However with Batman: Arkham City, I just had to notch it down a little!
Chparmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:15
beemoh
Forum Member

Depends what makes the difficulty, difficulty- more interesting rules, more elaborate puzzles, better AI etc, and I'll go for hard. Just giving the AI bigger guns and weighting random chance in its favour, easy.
beemoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:58
ballybally
Forum Member

I normally go for the hardest setting available. I'm not one for replaying games much so when crushing or suicide is unlocked after hard I never bother with those.
ballybally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:05
brb
Forum Member

It depends. For me, difficulty doesn't make the game. However, obviously if it's too easy then that isn't enjoyable either. I usually go for normal, but sometimes I got to the next setting up depending on the game.
brb is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:16
MartinImber
Forum Member

Normal then crank it up

Harder runs through are more fun after a normal run
MartinImber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:24
Flawed-Tactics
Forum Member

I don't think games should have pre defined difficulty settings.
Yes they should, but I don't think the hardest setting should be locked to force multiple plays. It's just a poor way to increase longevity.
Flawed-Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:53
ixHellstormx
Forum Member

Depends on the game really, I can't be bothered and see no point in doing a game on normal, only to have to do it again on hard then veteran, so i'd choose veteran and get the achievements that way. With the Halo games i'd choose Legendary (although i'm still struggling to get 'the library' level done ). I have tried a few games on 'Insane' but never completed one on that level.
ixHellstormx is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:03
ixHellstormx
Forum Member

Yes they should, but I don't think the hardest setting should be locked to force multiple plays. It's just a poor way to increase longevity.
agreed and I also think the gamer score should be changed depending on difficulty used, when completing a game...

Normal = 25G
Hard/Heroic = 50G
Vet/Legendary = 75G
Insane = 100G

what do other gamer's think. do u agree ?.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:10
Hotbird
Forum Member

My first run through is normally on the hardest setting because I want a challenge and I want the game to last as long as possible. But once I have finished the game I often like a second playthrough on easy to just have fun with the game trying things out ect.

I find games which don't have the hardest setting open from the start really annoying because that often requires a playthrough on hard to open really hard mode which means two hard playthrough.

agreed and I also think the gamer score should be changed depending on difficulty used, when completing a game...

Normal = 25G
Hard/Heroic = 50G
Vet/Legendary = 75G
Insane = 100G

what do other gamer's think. do u agree ?.
I thought Trophies and Achievements were roughly alike because on PSN you often get games giving a Bronze for completing the game, a Silver for completing on Normal and a Gold for completing on the hardest setting.
Hotbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:16
Lisa.J
Forum Member

I went for normal but to be honest it depends on the game. FIFA I'd usually go for the hardest as its a game I'm good at & wouldnt enjoy winning every game without it challenging me.

Stuff like COD I'd probably have on normal as I'm not that great at FPS, if it was too difficult it'd probably make me that annoyed I wouldnt want to play it again.

I remember reading people complaining that Red Dead was too easy when it came out, but it was perfect for me. I dont really want to play games like that to get annoyed & frustrated at dying all the time - the story was the main thing for me.
Lisa.J is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:39
Danger Close
Forum Member

I don't know. Have you tried the insane mode of Dead Space without the upgraded weapons from earlier plays?

I usually go for normal and then work my way up, if I can be bothered/if I like the game enough to go again.
Danger Close is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:41
blueisthecolour
Forum Member

I noticed over the last couple of years that I'm finding games harder and harder. I don't know if your reflexes just go as you get older . . .

Pro Evolution annoyed me as on the PS2 versions I used to play it on the hardest difficulty level (I think the highest was 6 stars that could be unlocked on PES 4) however I really struggled to do that on the PS3 versions. I've now accepted that I have to play at normal level.
blueisthecolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:59
SimonB79
Forum Member

Normal!!! (Or Easy) if I'm in a rush!
SimonB79 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:18
ixHellstormx
Forum Member

I noticed over the last couple of years that I'm finding games harder and harder. I don't know if your reflexes just go as you get older . . .

Pro Evolution annoyed me as on the PS2 versions I used to play it on the hardest difficulty level (I think the highest was 6 stars that could be unlocked on PES 4) however I really struggled to do that on the PS3 versions. I've now accepted that I have to play at normal level.
Ur reflexes def slow down the older u get lol well that's my excuse for getting owned lol
Old 06-09-2013, 11:27
ixHellstormx
Forum Member

My first run through is normally on the hardest setting because I want a challenge and I want the game to last as long as possible. But once I have finished the game I often like a second playthrough on easy to just have fun with the game trying things out ect.

I find games which don't have the hardest setting open from the start really annoying because that often requires a playthrough on hard to open really hard mode which means two hard playthrough.

I thought Trophies and Achievements were roughly alike because on PSN you often get games giving a Bronze for completing the game, a Silver for completing on Normal and a Gold for completing on the hardest setting.
I was more referring to XBL achievements. I just think that completing a game on Veteran or Insane should offer us a higher gamer score than the normal 50G. So for instance completing a COD game on Veteran would give u 50G for normal, 75G for Hard and 100G for Veteran, instead of 50+50+50 or whatever.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:46
Hotbird
Forum Member

I was more referring to XBL achievements. I just think that completing a game on Veteran or Insane should offer us a higher gamer score than the normal 50G. So for instance completing a COD game on Veteran would give u 50G for normal, 75G for Hard and 100G for Veteran, instead of 50+50+50 or whatever.
I had just assumed that was how it worked given we get a Gold for completing Veteran and a Silver for Normal. I always thought the Silver / Gold trophies roughly converted to gamer score values so on a Veteran win with a Gold would equate to 100G while a Normal win with a Silver would equate to 50G.
Hotbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:01
ixHellstormx
Forum Member

I had just assumed that was how it worked given we get a Gold for completing Veteran and a Silver for Normal. I always thought the Silver / Gold trophies roughly converted to gamer score values so on a Veteran win with a Gold would equate to 100G while a Normal win with a Silver would equate to 50G.
Yeah ur right HB, just checked Modern 3 and it's 100G for completing the game on Hardened or Veteran (dunno what I was thinking tbh lol). I thought it was 50G for each.

*I'll be standing over in the corner facing the wall if anyone wants me lol
Old 06-09-2013, 12:29
Ænima
Forum Member

For a first playthrough, I pick the one below the hardest setting every time, then if I play through it again, go through it on the hardest setting.

I just think you get more out of the game at it's hardest setting. Depeding on the game the hardest setting is usually the most realistic or mode where you have to be most tactical, but I like to get used to the game first, and saving the hardest setting also gives me an excuse to play through it again and get a few more achievements.
Ænima is offline   Reply With Quote