DS Forums

True Detective (HBO) - coming In January 2014

Old 09-09-2013, 10:46
MoreTears
Forum Member

HBO's next drama series, coming in January. Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8i5CR4kDjM
MoreTears is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:08
Maccadanny
Forum Member

Looks like another 'must watch' show.
Maccadanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:40
KathrynHenderso
Forum Member

HBO never disappoints! Great cast too.
KathrynHenderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 16:02
DarthFader
Forum Member

I am really starting to look forward to this. The trailer looks quality to me, so what with this in February and The Following in March, Sky Atlantic is looking like the channel to watch in 2014. If only Sky would offer it to Virgin for a lesser amount, they would more than make the loss back on advertising surely? Plus the channel sponsor might fork out more.

PJ
DarthFader is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 16:20
little-monster
Forum Member

I'll have to download this. I wish SKY ATLANTIC was on Virgin. Every other of their channels is.
little-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 16:28
platty
Forum Member

I am really starting to look forward to this. The trailer looks quality to me, so what with this in February and The Following in March, Sky Atlantic is looking like the channel to watch in 2014. If only Sky would offer it to Virgin for a lesser amount, they would more than make the loss back on advertising surely? Plus the channel sponsor might fork out more.

PJ
According to the trailer Sky are running at the moment, The Following is back in January
platty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 22:46
vladivarvixen
Forum Member

Only 8 episodes so can we hope for an unbroken run, especially as we'll be getting it at least a month after the US.
vladivarvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:42
NoEntry2k
Forum Member

Only 8 episodes so can we hope for an unbroken run, especially as we'll be getting it at least a month after the US.
Itís a HBO show, which means itíll almost certainly run for 8 consecutive weeks (unlike network shows) in the US, which means thereís absolutely no reason to think Sky Atlantic wonít do the same.
NoEntry2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 14:07
platelet
Forum Member

Cracking first episode.

Great characters, pace and plot. I've got a feeling this will be one where you really need to pay attention as there's a lot under the surface. It might be worth watching twice.
platelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 14:35
MoreTears
Forum Member

Cracking first episode.

Great characters, pace and plot. I've got a feeling this will be one where you really need to pay attention as there's a lot under the surface. It might be worth watching twice.
I did watch it twice. Loved it. Fantastic dialogue and outstanding acting performances from the two co-leads.
Old 13-01-2014, 17:53
Fred E Star
Inactive Member

Thought it was a bit on the dull side.
I'll give the second episode a go but if it doesn't pull me in I won't give it another chance.
Fred E Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 18:25
little-monster
Forum Member

This looks amazing
I am gonna binge all eight episodes once they air

According to wiki, this is gonna be a show where every season has a different cast, setting and new murder case. So like a crime version of American horror story.
little-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 19:00
platelet
Forum Member

This looks amazing
I am gonna binge all eight episodes once they air

According to wiki, this is gonna be a show where every season has a different cast, setting and new murder case. So like a crime version of American horror story.
Makes sense with the "True Detective" magazine label. Also means the story should be nice and tight
Old 13-01-2014, 20:44
DarthFader
Forum Member

According to the trailer Sky are running at the moment, The Following is back in January
Doh! Thanks, I had a divided by zero moment there I think!!
DarthFader is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 20:59
degsyhufc
Forum Member

I'm guessing this is a US paced thread.

When is it on in the UK?
degsyhufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 21:40
platelet
Forum Member

I'm guessing this is a US paced thread.

When is it on in the UK?
Indeed it is.

Sky Atlantic next month I think
Old 13-01-2014, 23:36
platelet
Forum Member

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/65715
Old 13-01-2014, 23:41
couchpotato2011
Forum Member

Just watched the first episode and really enjoyed it. Really interesting and I look forward to the next one.
couchpotato2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 00:47
margarite6666
Forum Member

I just watched it. First of all I have mentioned on other threads how many actors are producing shows. They also make sure they have leafing roles. The mentalist,homeland, Dracula and Intelligence to mention a few.

I read that HBO are going for authors and lecturers to write series to give them a more intellectual approach than we see from the main networks.

I have just seen the finale of Sherlock and it is good to compare the two. Sherlock has intelligence but also wit. This has no humour in it at all. The tone never wavers from depressing. The characters seem to be totally joyless.

The style also reminded me of Mississippi Burning with a similar relationship between the detectives. I really like Sherlock and John: I don't like either of these characters so don't care what happens to them.
margarite6666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 03:16
MoreTears
Forum Member

I have just seen the finale of Sherlock and it is good to compare the two. Sherlock has intelligence but also wit. This has no humour in it at all. The tone never wavers from depressing. The characters seem to be totally joyless.
I love Sherlock, but it borders on being a comedy (and that is especially true of the first two of the last three recent episodes). Sherlock is supposed to be a fun romp, an adventure, which even children of a certain age can enjoy. True Detective is made to be a much more serious drama. It is impossible to imagine a child watching True Detective and liking it -- or even a parent allowing their child to watch it.
Old 14-01-2014, 20:42
platelet
Forum Member

The style also reminded me of Mississippi Burning with a similar relationship between the detectives. I really like Sherlock and John: I don't like either of these characters so don't care what happens to them.
and Mississippi Burning was a laugh a minute?

Seriously would you criticise The Wire for lacking humour
Old 16-01-2014, 09:08
qwertyell
Forum Member

This has no humour in it at all. The tone never wavers from depressing. The characters seem to be totally joyless.

Really? I thought it had some nice touches of humour in among the darkness, like Hart's reluctant, matter-of-fact and completely inappropriate for the circumstances dinner invitation to Cohle, not to mention his collection of disapproving glares and eye rolls whenever his partner begins morosely philosophising.

Then there's his self identification as "a regular type dude... with a big ass dick", randomly thrown into a police interview about the reemergence of a serial killer.

Looks a good show in the making to me.
qwertyell is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 10:46
Verence
Forum Member

Start date of Saturday February 22nd at 9pm

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2014/1/sky-a...rue-detective/
Verence is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 11:02
flagpole
Inactive Member

I'll give this a go but i think Woody's voice is going to get right up my nose.

I'm a bit cautious about these shows with massive casts. it's like they're so certain they'll be a success they don't really bother trying.

on the other hand it's rare for HBO to make anything that isn't pretty strong. so got to be worth a look.
flagpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 11:02
SimonB79
Forum Member

Thought it was a bit on the dull side.
I'll give the second episode a go but if it doesn't pull me in I won't give it another chance.
Watched the 1st epi afew days ago & this post pretty much sums it up 4 me!!! ... It was like watching paint dry but less entertaining!!! ... I love my cop shows & was expecting great things but ended up being soooo disappointed ... I'll give it 1 more chance nxt week!
SimonB79 is offline   Reply With Quote