Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

iPhone 5S & 5C launch thread Tuesday 10th September 6PM

Old 10-09-2013, 01:11
Everything Goes
Forum Member

Possibly the worst kept secret are the iPhone 5S and 5C. Plus more on iOS7.

Apple will do their official announcement on Tuesday 10th September at 6PM.

Live blog here:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/10/a...liveblog-2013/

Live video here if your lucky:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnVNJ8qS2Lo
Everything Goes is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:18
enapace
Forum Member

Nah worst secret was the Moto X which turned out to be a huge let down. I will certainly tune in for this though if I am free should be at that time.
enapace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:07
mjdj1689
Forum Member

Does anyone know how I can watch it on Apple TV ? I have the lastest update , but can't see what I am looking for ? , last time it was Apple press event , but that's not there this time ?

Thanx
mjdj1689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:33
mjdj1689
Forum Member

Possibly the worst kept secret are the iPhone 5S and 5C. Plus more on iOS7.

Apple will do their official announcement on Tuesday 10th September at 6PM.

Live blog here:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/10/a...liveblog-2013/

Live video here if your lucky:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnVNJ8qS2Lo
The counntdown will end at 5pm thou ?
mjdj1689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:18
Everything Goes
Forum Member

The counntdown will end at 5pm thou ?
The Engadget link says 6pm but the countdown and Daily Mail suggests 5pm. So could well be 5pm! Be early just in case lol

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2409657/Iphone-5S-Apple-announce-launch-date-September-10th-variety-colors.html
Old 10-09-2013, 07:25
Steven L Hunter
Forum Member

It would be good if they brought the price of the 32GB one down and only did the 16GB on the 5C

iPhone 5C 16GB 300
iPhone 5S 32GB 549
iPhone 5S 64GB 699
iPhone 5S 128GB 799
Steven L Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:13
konebyvax
Forum Member

Does the C in the 5C stand for cheap?
konebyvax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:30
klendathu
Forum Member

It's either cheap or crap . One of those two
klendathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:35
mogzyboy
Forum Member

It's 6pm (5pm GMT).
mogzyboy is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:48
Stuart_h
Forum Member

To be honest im guessing the spec will be just a standard shuffle upwards (no dig - just standard 'S' upgrade time).

The one interesting thing is the fingerprint sensor if it materialises. All sides are trying to get 'cleverer' with unlocking but is there any real need (or benefit) to anything more than a pattern or code ? (genuine question)

Face unlock (on Android) was great as a demo but im betting most people switched it off after a day. Will it be the same with fingerprint I wonder ? Will it be stable enough ? will it allow 'multiple users' ? multiple fingers ? obviously it wont work through gloves .... sweaty hands ?

Most methods for security created so far seem to ultimately be flawed. Interesting to see if/how they manage to handle this method.
Stuart_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:59
Mark in Essex
Forum Member

To be honest im guessing the spec will be just a standard shuffle upwards (no dig - just standard 'S' upgrade time).

The one interesting thing is the fingerprint sensor if it materialises. All sides are trying to get 'cleverer' with unlocking but is there any real need (or benefit) to anything more than a pattern or code ? (genuine question)

Face unlock (on Android) was great as a demo but im betting most people switched it off after a day. Will it be the same with fingerprint I wonder ? Will it be stable enough ? will it allow 'multiple users' ? multiple fingers ? obviously it wont work through gloves .... sweaty hands ?

Most methods for security created so far seem to ultimately be flawed. Interesting to see if/how they manage to handle this method.
I think fingerprint will be a great idea for that extra security.
Mark in Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:03
Everything Goes
Forum Member

Fingerprint readers on phones are not new. Sony and Motorola have used them on phones. Apple did not invent this though im sure they will claim they did and crow about how innovative they are

See this thread

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1873672
Old 10-09-2013, 10:07
alanwarwic
Forum Member

My main question is, will they improve the low specification screen to 720p ?

Apple like their profits, so 1080p is unlikely. But 720p is a fairly optimum resolution for smartphones. Maybe a 1080p screen suits keen photographer more.
Even maps would only sometimes need 1080p so I can't think of any other major uses.

BTW Will they this time announce IOS maps 2 ?
alanwarwic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:10
KieranDS
Forum Member

Not sure I really see the point in a fingerprint scanner tbh.
KieranDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:14
Rich_L
Forum Member

Yeah, Apple are now using the same cheap plastic as on the Galaxy S4's.
Rich_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:29
kidspud
Forum Member

Fingerprint readers on phones are not new. Sony and Motorola have used them on phones. Apple did not invent this though im sure they will claim they did and crow about how innovative they are

See this thread

When they don't say they invented it, will you come back to say how wrong you were?
kidspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:29
paulbrock
Forum Member

The one interesting thing is the fingerprint sensor if it materialises. All sides are trying to get 'cleverer' with unlocking but is there any real need (or benefit) to anything more than a pattern or code.
I think there's advantages in making it more convenient for the user, but the best i've seen so far are those that turn off the lock when e.g. on a home Wifi network or in range of a particular paired BT device.
paulbrock is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:30
calico_pie
Forum Member

I can confidently predict that this time tomorrow, reviewers and tech sites will be trotting out the term "evolutionary not revolutionary".

As if "revolutionary" is the default expectation, so it seems important to note that a device isn't.

I suppose the interesting thing will be to see what they still do. I would have assumed it would have been:

5S - top end
5 - middle
5C - lower end

But a lot of rumour suggests:

5S - top end
5C - middle
4S - lower end
calico_pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:33
calico_pie
Forum Member

See this thread

You know - if you say that Apple claim to have invented something often enough, it might just magically become true.

They may well do something differently, that they think works better, or offers better security. And they may mention that. But I'll bet my house they won't claim to have invented fingerprint readers, just like they didn't claim to invent most things that people like to think they said they invented.
calico_pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:33
konebyvax
Forum Member

Yeah, Apple are now using the same cheap plastic as on the Galaxy S4's.

Rumour has it the Nexus 5 will be an all plastic affair so I'm saying nowt for the moment.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:39
Stiggles
Forum Member

I can confidently predict that this time tomorrow, reviewers and tech sites will be trotting out the term "evolutionary not revolutionary".

As if "revolutionary" is the default expectation, so it seems important to note that a device isn't.

I suppose the interesting thing will be to see what they still do. I would have assumed it would have been:

5S - top end
5 - middle
5C - lower end

But a lot of rumour suggests:

5S - top end
5C - middle
4S - lower end
It happens simply because apple like to blow their trumpet a lot claiming everything is a revolution. Hence now people expect it. When they churn the same phone out 3 years running with slightly updated specs then people kind of wondering whats going on....
Stiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:40
KesterK
Forum Member

My main question is, will they improve the low specification screen to 720p ?

Apple like their profits, so 1080p is unlikely. But 720p is a fairly optimum resolution for smartphones. Maybe a 1080p screen suits keen photographer more.
Even maps would only sometimes need 1080p so I can't think of any other major uses.

BTW Will they this time announce IOS maps 2 ?
The screen resolution is good enough for the size of the phone, can you distinguish the pixels holding the phone at a natural distance from your eyes (or even closer)?

If in future they use a larger screen they will no doubt increase the resolution.

I guess they will add some sort of improvement to maps to try and move away from the bad press of last year... Don't know what they could improve though.
KesterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:51
Stuart_h
Forum Member

See this thread

I wasnt suggesting that Apple were the first to use the technology. Does the fact that it hasnt caught on suggest its a 'shiny but pointless' feature or does it just mean the tech wasnt ready ? I dont want to turn this into the usual debate. My point was focused on whether one of the main rumoured 'new' features (for the iPhone) will be useful or not.
Stuart_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:23
alanwarwic
Forum Member

The problem with fingerprint readers is that the reader coating wears out, getting more and more frustrating to use.

Apple owned Authentec say they improved/fixed that and why they have now closed down to any other sales. If it cant be bought it cant be copied.
alanwarwic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:26
konebyvax
Forum Member

Yes, I wouldn't be here for fingerprint reading security. Like my late (curmudgeonly) dad used to say when cars suddenly started getting electric windows and air con etc. 'It's just more stuff to go wrong' lol. Unfortunately, I really am turning into him the older I get