Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

JK Rowling to write new Harry Potter inspired film series

Old 12-09-2013, 14:41
ROWLING2010
Forum Member

based on Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

Awesome news

Should be interesting to see how this goes.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...m-8812270.html
ROWLING2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 12-09-2013, 14:51
Inspiration
Forum Member

Interesting.. could she pull it off again? I wonder if the book/films will be aimed at a slightly older audience than the HP books, to try and attract her original HP fan base?
Inspiration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 14:57
Karis
Forum Member

WOW. I never expected that

How exciting
Karis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 15:15
FirstChibi
Forum Member

Wow. I was worried it was gonna be Beadle the Bard related, then. I hope she does pull it off, because that could be brilliant if it works!
FirstChibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 16:01
fhs man 2
Forum Member

If Hogwarts is not in it then I will hope it fails.
fhs man 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 16:06
treefr0g
Forum Member

Was just reading about this. Sounds interesting.

I remember a fly on the wall documentary about her which finished with her completing The Deathly Hallows.

Even though she said that was it, you could tell it wasn't and that she would be lured back into the wizarding world.

Hope they get David Yates onboard.
treefr0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 16:48
fhs man 2
Forum Member

Apparently it is set in New York City and not Hogwarts so my expectations are low.

I preferred British to American.
fhs man 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 16:55
ROWLING2010
Forum Member

I think it will be interesting to explore the other aspects, places etc.

Maybe we will get to see the Salem Witches Institute.

I hope they bring back David Yates as well.
Old 12-09-2013, 17:16
gorsewaygirl
Forum Member

Can - Not - Wait :d
gorsewaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 18:20
The22ndRachel
Forum Member

Very unexpected but very welcome news.
In fact I imagine this is the best news I'll hear this year!!

As a huge Harry Potter fan it's always interesting to learn more about the Wizarding World as JK tells it, so this film will be very interesting and exciting
The22ndRachel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 18:26
Johnny Clay
Forum Member

Not surprised to find Hollywood returning to the Potter well, frankly. Only when it runs dry...

Mind you, is this a first?

A fictitious creation from within another fictitious creation (here a book within a book) being given the same sort of treatment?

Can't think of it happening before.
Johnny Clay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 19:36
mialicious
Forum Member

keep on milking that cash cow JK.
mialicious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 19:42
ROWLING2010
Forum Member

Maybe she will make a donation to Comic Relief in the same way the book does for every copy sold.
Old 12-09-2013, 21:53
Bio Max
Forum Member

Why shouldn't she? People want it...
Bio Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 23:13
computermaster
Forum Member

Someone should make a really good hp game next gen. One where you could do not just, 5 or 10 spells at certain times, but hundreds at almost any time. I think that should be the future for video games.
computermaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 23:19
Rowan Hedge
Inactive Member

Quelle surprise, when bereft of ideas rehash.
Rowan Hedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 23:20
CrazyLoop
Forum Member

Very unexpected but very welcome news.
In fact I imagine this is the best news I'll hear this year!!

As a huge Harry Potter fan it's always interesting to learn more about the Wizarding World as JK tells it, so this film will be very interesting and exciting
Agreed I'm wondering what to expect..

She's not doing it for money. She's doing it for the HP fandom who have desperately wanted more HP stories etc.

Why shouldn't she? People want it...
Exactly, the HP fandom still want more
CrazyLoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 08:59
Big Boy Barry
Forum Member

There's still money to be made from this franchise. It makes perfect sense to keep it going. It's a good idea though to leave the main storyline and expand the series beyond Harry/Ron/Hermione etc...
Big Boy Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 09:38
gashead
Forum Member

Mind you, is this a first?

A fictitious creation from within another fictitious creation (here a book within a book) being given the same sort of treatment?

Can't think of it happening before.
I think these questions perhaps give this new franchise more credit for originality than it deserves. All Rowling's done is taken one aspect of an existing film (or series of films in this case) to base another series of films around. In other words, it's a spin-off, no more, no less. The specific device - i.e. a book - may be a first, but it's really no different to using an existing character, location or sub-plot around which to base a new film, e.g. Puss In Boots, the Ewok films and American Pie: Band Camp.
gashead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 10:40
Johnny Clay
Forum Member

In other words, it's a spin-off, no more, no less. The specific device - i.e. a book - may be a first, but it's really no different to using an existing character, location or sub-plot around which to base a new film, e.g. Puss In Boots, the Ewok films and American Pie: Band Camp.
Not quite.

Think of Cheers/Frasier. Frasier was a spin-off, yet his character existed in Cheers at the same level as the others did. If Frasier has been a fictitious sitcom within Cheers that the other Cheers members watched/discussed, then that would be much more like what's happening with Potter.

Unless they choose to use a twin narrative/book-ending technique, wherein the fictitious story being told is visualised for the viewers benefit, like The Princess Bride.
Johnny Clay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 11:16
Trsvis_Bickle
Forum Member

Interesting.. could she pull it off again? I wonder if the book/films will be aimed at a slightly older audience than the HP books, to try and attract her original HP fan base?
After she failed get the same acclaim for her rather feeble attempt at adult literature, she's obviously returning to what she knows best. Can't blame the woman for that.
Trsvis_Bickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 11:16
gashead
Forum Member

Not quite.

Think of Cheers/Frasier. Frasier was a spin-off, yet his character existed in Cheers at the same level as the others did. If Frasier has been a fictitious sitcom within Cheers that the other Cheers members watched/discussed, then that would be much more like what's happening with Potter.

Unless they choose to use a twin narrative/book-ending technique, wherein the fictitious story being told is visualised for the viewers benefit, like The Princess Bride.
Ah, this is probably where my relative lack of knowledge about all things Potter lets me down. I've read the books (once) and watched the first three films so I know the broad themes, but I don't recall the little details. So is Fantastic Beasts fictional even within the context of the Potter universe? What I mean is, is it their equivalent of what a book about, say, Greek mythological creatures, is to us? I assumed it was their universe's equivalent of an Attenborough style wildlife book or something. If the former, I suppose you could say Rowling's creating a meta-Potterverse.
gashead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 14:27
Joe_Zel
Forum Member

Not quite.

Newt Scamander is a real historical figure within the Potter universe. Where did you get the idea that he was fictional?

Maybe you're getting mixed up with Tales of Beedle the Bard which is fictional within the Potter Universe.
Joe_Zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 14:28
Joe_Zel
Forum Member

After she failed get the same acclaim for her rather feeble attempt at adult literature, she's obviously returning to what she knows best. Can't blame the woman for that.
Actually The Cuckoo's Calling was successful and the second book in that series is due out next year.
Joe_Zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 18:13
KatieLuLu2
Forum Member

Good news for a HP fan like myself !!... Hope it turns out alright..
KatieLuLu2 is offline   Reply With Quote