Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

XFactor USA set to be cancelled. Simon Cowell to return to UK version next year?

Old 12-09-2013, 18:20
SamuelW
Inactive Member

XFactor USA launched last night with dire ratings. An audience of only 6million and a demo of 2.1 watched the opening episode of season 3. This was just under half of the number who watched the opener in 2011 and 2012. Not only that but XFactor lost in the ratings to Big Brother USA! Fox are set to cancel XFactor due to these dire ratings.

That means that Cowell will be free next Autumn, possibly to return to the UK version. What are your thoughts about this happening?
SamuelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 12-09-2013, 18:23
Hassaan13
Inactive Member

We've only seen one rating, but it's not looking good.
Hassaan13 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 18:25
Barry_Clarke
Forum Member

Samuel I think I speak for the majority on here. Just GO AWAY!

For someone who hates X Factor and everything to do with the show, you do ALOT of talking about it. Just forget that it exists.

What you do is sad and embarrassing for yourself.
Barry_Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 18:25
Mattpaint
Forum Member

Well I wouldn't mind seeing him back here - always entertaining!
Mattpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 18:26
The1Kuda
Forum Member

Ratings are someone else's problems; just enjoy the bloody show!!!
The1Kuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 18:26
Hassaan13
Inactive Member

Well I wouldn't mind seeing him back here - always entertaining!
Are you talking about Samuel or Simon?
Hassaan13 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 18:28
HughOS
Forum Member

Was waiting for Samuel's deranged hyperbolic post. There's been one episode with poor ratings. There hasn't been a whisper of it being cancelled from either Fox or Cowell's camp.
HughOS is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 18:30
Presto Shinko
Forum Member

Samuel, I speak for myself (the only person I'm really entitled to speak for) when I say I'm loving your work and long may it continue!
Presto Shinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 18:31
lara_pereira
Forum Member

too soon to tell. all shows are struggling with ratings, especially fox shows ( so you think you can dance was renewed with 4 milllion and 1.4 rating). but, if the x factor usa gets axed, of course simon will be back to the uk one. good for the uk show, simon is great fun
lara_pereira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 18:53
lara_pereira
Forum Member

although sometimes I think going back to the uk show permanently is not an option to simon. he said in an interview that his baby would be raised in the uk during the begining of the year when he has BGT obligations. and for the rest of the year in LA, to where simon will come back after the next BGT's season is over. but plans change...
lara_pereira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 18:56
Starzz123
Forum Member

"X Factor set to be cancelled"

Based on early ratings? That is a presumption.

Plus you have to take into account the average ratings on the channel and X Factor is above average for FOX.
Starzz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 18:56
Cyril_Sneer
Inactive Member

What's to say he wouldn't do AGT instead? They will want to keep his american profile up
Cyril_Sneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 18:57
Starzz123
Forum Member

SOMEONE WITH SENSE!
Starzz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 19:00
Helen_Smith3
Forum Member

Isn't there rumours that fly around every year saying that Simon is returning to the UK x factor next year? I don't want him to tbh, Simon isn't as good as he used to be and I'm liking this years panel so far.
Helen_Smith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 19:11
SweetSyrup
Forum Member

To be fair, the OP is spot on here. Ratings for premieres tend to be rate much higher than episodes to follow. If X factor dips into mid-1s in the 18-49 demo, which it's very likely to, x factor US is toast.

Should also be pointed out, it's end of summer season now, the autumn/new season shows haven't actually begun screening yet, x factor has started a couple weeks early against practically no competition. Be interesting to see how the voice does now.

If I were a betting man, I'd stake last US season, and Simon back on UK series next year.
SweetSyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 19:13
LW09

"Set to be cancelled"... where did you get this from? No source, no story.

The ratings are terrible but I couldn't care less, however So You Think You Can Dance gets worse figures for FOX and is continuously renewed. They'll just keep slashing the X Factor budget. It performs OK.
LW09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 19:47
AcerBen
Forum Member

To be fair, the OP is spot on here. Ratings for premieres tend to be rate much higher than episodes to follow. If X factor dips into mid-1s in the 18-49 demo, which it's very likely to, x factor US is toast.

Should also be pointed out, it's end of summer season now, the autumn/new season shows haven't actually begun screening yet, x factor has started a couple weeks early against practically no competition. Be interesting to see how the voice does now.

If I were a betting man, I'd stake last US season, and Simon back on UK series next year.
This wasn't true of X Factor USA last year. It started with 8 million something but some later episodes got 9 or 10 million.
AcerBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 19:56
SweetSyrup
Forum Member

This wasn't true of X Factor USA last year. It started with 8 million something but some later episodes got 9 or 10 million.
Overall ratings don't count for anything in the US, only the 18-49 demo rating is important and used when considering a tv show's "success". This eroded dramatically from season start to finish last season.

Look at "Harry's Law" from last season - 10 million viewers an episode, barely scraped a 1.5 in the demo. Axed.

It's all speculation at this stage though, see how x factor does against the competition etc.
SweetSyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 20:18
fireemblemcraze
Forum Member

This is because the X Factor last year became very much a teen show...it's alienated most of its maturer audience with the format last year. I want it to do well but last series was terrible - Khloe Kardigan and silent Britney were terrible.
fireemblemcraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 20:41
Rogana Josh
Forum Member

XFactor USA launched last night with dire ratings. An audience of only 6million and a demo of 2.1 watched the opening episode of season 3. This was just under half of the number who watched the opener in 2011 and 2012. Not only that but XFactor lost in the ratings to Big Brother USA! Fox are set to cancel XFactor due to these dire ratings.

That means that Cowell will be free next Autumn, possibly to return to the UK version. What are your thoughts about this happening?
Rogana Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 20:45
Iofiel
Inactive Member

No link or source to back up the thread.

I bet that author is giggling away at the keyboard.
Iofiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 23:36
d56
Forum Member

Fingers crossed he returns to the UK show. Borelow needs to GO.
d56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 23:42
RickyBarby
Inactive Member

Samuel I think I speak for the majority on here. Just GO AWAY!

For someone who hates X Factor and everything to do with the show, you do ALOT of talking about it. Just forget that it exists.

What you do is sad and embarrassing for yourself.
so people can only talk about things they like?. but we have freedom of speech.to say and talk about we like and want too.
RickyBarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 23:47
xeo
Forum Member

I'm surprised Samuel is so happy at this. Surely he'd want X Factor USA to succeed so Simon doesn't come back to the UK and (probably) boost ratings here?

But indeed those ratings are not good and the show could be cancelled if it doesn't improve. If it falls below 2.0 it's game over.
xeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 23:50
EvilLlamaThingy
Forum Member

Well said! Perfectly sums up how I feel when I see in depth discussion of ratings to be honest.
EvilLlamaThingy is offline   Reply With Quote