Internet problems - ADSL light on but not Internet

ian-dian-d Posts: 3,806
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Problems! Following on from a little bit of work on the internal wiring:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1885538&highlight=

(in brief, was trying to reduce interference to improve broadband speed which is poor in our area; found that internal sockets were connected to the back of the test socket, not the faceplate. Removed them and used router on test socket since).

I seem to have no Internet, and this has been the case for 5 days now! The router picks up the ADSL line, and produces noise margin and line attenuation data, plus the telephone line works in/out, but no Internet light. With assistances from the ISP (Zen), I've tried everything on the Netgear router I've been using for years, plus tried an older Netgear, and even went out and bought a new Asus but with the same results, no Internet. Tried all the user account details (haven't changed in 7 years) as well as the BT test accounts, no joy!

BT have visited and test the line, saying that it is fine and communicating the ppp? data, so claim the issue must be further up the line. The engineer claimed an issue with a line card, but BT have since denied it so the ISP and BT are just going backwards and forward, not much use for me!

Anyway, anyone with expertise got any thoughts? Could it be a coincidence that since I've been behind the test socket, it has failed, even though the Internet had been stable for days since? Naturally can't tell the ISP/BT that I've been behind there, but could that be an issue, even though the line appears fine with no noise?

Help!

Comments

• OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edited as I skimmed through the other post

Couple of q's:
    Are you 100% certain the incoming pair (from outside grey box) to the master socket A and B connectors are ok? and in fact go to this socket? - you need to check you're getting the voltage across those 2 wires (50volts, use a meter not your tongue!)

What is the modem showing as the line connection up/down speeds?

Did the engineer inspect the master socket and incoming cable?

If one side of the connection has failed from the grey box outside into the master socket, ie a broken wire/bad connection on one of the wires the phone could still work as could broadband, but usually poorly/ very slowly)

As you've been disturbing things I think you need to go start at the basics, identify the pair from outside in the grey box that comes into your home, make sure it's a direct connection and not via some other junction or master socket in the loft etc. Obviously you're not supposed to tinker with anything past the mastersocket A B connections but I think we're past that point now.
  • ian-dian-d Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm using the router on the test socket directly, with a micro-filter for the telephone. All components of this have been tested and replaced, the ADSL light remains on for the router, but won't authenticate for the Internet (not even using the BT test username etc). Apparently the cell count is zero what ever that means.

The router is showing an up of 448kbps and down as ~3700kbps, which is about normal, as are the noise margin (db) and line attenuation figures too. It is as if it is all there.

The engineer plugged his kit into the test socket and ran a series of checks, he didn't open up the test socket or the line coming in from the outside. He then went back to the exchange where he dropped the line/adsl a few times and then returned it to as is and said it must be an issue elsewhere!!!

Connections are all fine at the back of the test socket that I can see, but the wire is very short now so can't be cut back further. The line is silent, no noise interference and calls are clear both incoming and outgoing, so doesn't that exclude the possibility of it being the wiring in my house? Should the BT engineer have tested this and then tested from outside the house?

I'm assuming, though can't say for sure that the engineer would have tried the connection from the exchange and further up, but I don't know how possible that can be!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It all sounds ok doesn't it? Having read the other lengthy posts and lots of good info given by chrisjr and others I can't think of much else other than incorrect modem settings or it being an exchange issue where it's gone into a fault mode due to regular disconnections or such like?

If it's syncing up normally and line speeds look normal and phone calls work and the line is quiet (you've done a 17070 line test I guess) then I'd say it's external to your home now.

Last thing, you do have more than one device to confirm the issue isn't PC related, ie a second PC to test :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haha, yes, about 3 PC's and plenty of wireless devices too, mobiles, televisions, game consoles etc.

I guess I'll just have to patiently wait for a report back from BT through my ISP, but they were clear that their "pro-active team" (surely pro-active is to prevent something, not investigate when it goes wrong!!!) need 72 hours to review this, so nothing back until Monday/Tuesday now.

I fear that they might just turn around and say ah well, doesn't work anymore, only one customer! I'm sure broadband is suppose to be treated as a utility now and must be re-instated within a certain period of time!
  • littleboolittleboo Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ian-d wrote: »
    I'm sure broadband is suppose to be treated as a utility now and must be re-instated within a certain period of time!

It's not. Not unless you have taken a business product with an SLA.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still no Internet and being a weekend, little response from my ISP or defiantly nothing from BT!!!

This is the data from my router, seems to suggest everything is fine but not authenticating. Not sure if any 'experts' have any ideas what it might be? Driving me mad now!!!

Update Counter : 5326
    Modulation : G.Dmt
    Annex Mode : Annex A/L
    Line State : up
    Lan Tx : 105098
    Lan Rx : 33411
    ADSL Tx : 3982
    ADSL Rx : 0
    CRC Down : 0
    CRC Up : 2
    FEC Down : 5
    FEC Up : 2674
    HEC Down : 1
    HEC Up : 0
    SNR Up : 20.0
    SNR Down : 15.5
    Line Attenuation Up : 27.0
    Line Attenuation Down : 54.0
    Data Rate Up : 448
    Data Rate Down : 3776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you 100% certain that the pair coming into that master socket is direct from outside or is there a chance it's coming in via another route and joined / extended etc?

Any idea if that line attenuation was always around 54db?

Can your ISP see anything ie errors connecting/authenticating at their end?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only assume that it is coming direct from outside to there given the location to each other. If if isn't, what baring may that have given everything else seems fine, and what would you suggest might be possible to have a BT engineer check?

The line attenuation has always been 49/50db, but I think the increase to 54db is down to the new router presently in situ (at the request of the ISP). I think the reading at the ISP's is still 50db but I'll of course check that out as the distance certainly shouldn't have changed should it?

I'm not sure, I don't think the ISP or BT can see any authentication at all, just syncing up but and data sent from me, but not the opposite way!

I am led to believe that another household on this development are also without their broadband since mid week, but I can't confirm that is linked and their telephone number is different enough to not believe it is an admin error somewhere!