Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Does anyone know what this old Windows icon is for?

Old 14-09-2013, 18:24
Komrade Kieron
Forum Member

Totally stumped. 100 internet points to anyone that can identify it!

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/821/5ms6.jpg
Komrade Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 14-09-2013, 19:23
zx50
Forum Member

Hmm... Lets see what's in this link then...

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/821/5ms6.jpg

Nope. No idea what program that's for. Where did you get the image from? Surely it must have had what program it was for where you got it from?
zx50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 20:01
gomezz
Forum Member

Looks like a clock, pen, and week/month calendar so could be some kind of diary app?
gomezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 20:09
Smiley433
Forum Member

I thought it was a Pacman.
Smiley433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 20:27
Komrade Kieron
Forum Member

None of the diary software logos I've seen match this... bonkers isn't it? It's my son's ICT homework...
Old 14-09-2013, 20:35
Daedroth
Forum Member

I don't know, I haven't seen it before. However corrupt file is jumping out at me for some reason.
Daedroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 20:46
tealady
Forum Member

It's my son's ICT homework...
Struggling to see the point of the homework.
When you say old do you know if it is windows 3.x.x or w95 or w98?
I'd go with pacman too! Or some sort of warning, broken: link, shortcut, folder, file.
Perhaps it's a cricket game, as it looks like 3 stumps with a batsman above them.
tealady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 20:50
AxG
Forum Member

It's the 2003 PowerPoint icon on its side.
http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/Microsoft_PowerPoint
AxG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 22:24
Komrade Kieron
Forum Member

We have a winner!!

A thousand thank-yous AxG !
Old 15-09-2013, 01:51
Magic8Ball
Forum Member

None of the diary software logos I've seen match this... bonkers isn't it? It's my son's ICT homework...
Are they really expecting kids to memorise program icons? What a mental waste of time! Although it does explain why we see IT graduates nowadays with no idea of how to write a simple recursive loop, or understanding of boolean logic.

Your son should tell them he prefers to use his brain cells for memorising stuff that might actually come in useful.
Magic8Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 13:26
Andrew_Ballard
Forum Member

Are they really expecting kids to memorise program icons? What a mental waste of time! Although it does explain why we see IT graduates nowadays with no idea of how to write a simple recursive loop, or understanding of boolean logic.

Your son should tell them he prefers to use his brain cells for memorising stuff that might actually come in useful.
This!!
Andrew_Ballard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 18:19
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

What is the point in it? No wonder you get people who know how to use Facebook and MS Word but no idea of how computers work or what to do when it goes wrong. I don't spend all day sitting at my Mac memorising every icon OSX has. I know what icons are in my Dock because I put them there. I didn't have to memorise them to know or to use the machine.
cnbcwatcher is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 19:17
stu0rt
Forum Member

Perhaps the purpose of the homework is not to identify the icon per se, but rather the process of using the Internet to find out the answer. I guess it's teaching people how to search for answers (or in this case, get one's parents to do it).
stu0rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 19:24
Komrade Kieron
Forum Member

Actually it's a test to gauge the overall knowledge level of the class - first time they've had ICT as a dedicated lesson, and this was one of around 20 symbols and icons, some easier than others!

Each will be described properly, so as well as this Office suite there will be zip compression and Powerpoint and all the uses of each, so it's actually a quick way for the teacher to plan the lessons according to the abilities and knowledge of each pupil. I think it's impressive... so far...
Old 16-09-2013, 21:29
!!11oneone
Forum Member

It could also just be a fun activity that gets kids used to the names and uses of different programs. Just a little quiz to get them thinking, don't read too much into it!
!!11oneone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 22:11
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

Actually it's a test to gauge the overall knowledge level of the class - first time they've had ICT as a dedicated lesson, and this was one of around 20 symbols and icons, some easier than others!

Each will be described properly, so as well as this Office suite there will be zip compression and Powerpoint and all the uses of each, so it's actually a quick way for the teacher to plan the lessons according to the abilities and knowledge of each pupil. I think it's impressive... so far...
Do they actually teach how computers work and stuff like that or is it just MS Office? Were all the icons from Windows or were there any Mac ones?
cnbcwatcher is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote