Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Why does New Who get all the credit for levitating Daleks?

Old 14-09-2013, 20:32
Jon Ross
Forum Member

Just watched Doctor Who's Greatest Moments, and both Tracy Oberman and Corey Johnson were making out as though it was an astonishing new thing when a Dalek climbed a flight of stairs in New Who when this was done - and quite well too - in the '80s!!
Jon Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 14-09-2013, 20:36
Verence
Forum Member

Just watched Doctor Who's Greatest Moments, and both Tracy Oberman and Corey Johnson were making out as though it was an astonishing new thing when a Dalek climbed a flight of stairs in New Who when this was done - and quite well too - in the '80s!!
If the actors in question weren't big fans of Doctor Who in the 80s they may have been unaware that the Daleks levitated back then
Verence is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 20:39
Palmerwho
Forum Member

In one of 7's most popular stories too.

"Unlimited Rice Pudding" lol
Palmerwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 20:57
Talma
Forum Member

I wondered about that too.
They mentioned the 'return of the Master' as well, they didn't actually explain why or from where he 'returned'. You'd think he was invented for New Who as well.
Talma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 22:37
Ed Sizzers
Forum Member

Well, new Who is the first time they levitated.. competently! In Remembrance, it takes so much power for a Dalek to levitate itself up a staircase, it's incapable of firing its gun for the best part of a minute, by which time the Doc has long since legged it!
Ed Sizzers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 22:58
bennythedip
Forum Member

80s? Doctor who started in 2005.
bennythedip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 22:59
TEDR
Forum Member

Well, new Who is the first time they levitated.. competently! In Remembrance, it takes so much power for a Dalek to levitate itself up a staircase, it's incapable of firing its gun for the best part of a minute, by which time the Doc has long since legged it!
I think it was expecting Michael Sheard to switch into Mr Bronson mode and be a bit more proactively vindictive.
TEDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 23:43
codename_47
Forum Member

And yet it still hasn't permeated into popular culture, lest the constant "run up stairs to hide from Daleks" jokes ever run dry.

You hear them everywhere, topical comedy shows, newspaper articles, letters written by former Doctors that starred in episodes clearly showing them fly....everywhere
codename_47 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 23:47
Tom Tit
Forum Member

Why are you giving 80s Doctor who all the credit?

A levitating Dalek was done - and quite well too - in the 1960s, in 'The Chase'.
Tom Tit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 10:47
!!11oneone
Forum Member

I think the levitating were better done in the 80s.

The idea that they can fly everywhere on whim means the trundling tank design is obsolete. Why don't they just fly everywhere? Why even have wheels and a big clumsy shell when they could be sleek and aerodynamic? Making the flying bit more of another 'weapon' in the arsenal - and one that consumes a lot of power - is much more realistic. It's also scarier - trundling weaponised tanks acting alone were always scarier than RTDs millions of flying daleks.

Also, why have we never seen the abilities of the dalek in Dalek? The rotating gun, the shell domes being mines. All much more believable.
!!11oneone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 12:53
garbage456
Forum Member

The dalek going up the stairs was a scary moment.

I just don't like the flying ones at all.
garbage456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 23:52
hajua
Forum Member

80s? Doctor who started in 2005.
That's just RTD propaganda, it really started in 2010.
hajua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 00:27
knowndeserter
Forum Member

Why are you giving 80s Doctor who all the credit?

A levitating Dalek was done - and quite well too - in the 1960s, in 'The Chase'.
But weren't The Daleks in The Chase levitating under sand (which probably doesn't count) or off camera to get to the top of a flight of stairs.

Also I'd like to point out the complete lack of fuss made about a levitating Davros in Revelation of the Daleks or the Dalek that pursues the Doctor up the shaft in Power of the Daleks (it's unclear if a levitating pad is in use in this case).
knowndeserter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 01:02
codename_47
Forum Member

Apparently it's a stanna stairlift, so that Dalek must've been getting on a bit!
Old 16-09-2013, 07:14
snakecharmer37
Forum Member

One of the biggest reasons, is that daft line of Tom Bakers in Destiny. Which goes something like, 'If you're supposed to be the supreme beings, why don't you climb up after us.'
Ever since then, it's become something of a stupid joke. Even though, as others have said, Daleks were elevating before and after in the classic series.
Mind you, the whole of Destiny was a stupid joke. Great shame after the excellence of Genesis.
snakecharmer37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 09:51
johnnysaucepn
Forum Member

The idea that they can fly everywhere on whim means the trundling tank design is obsolete. Why don't they just fly everywhere? Why even have wheels and a big clumsy shell when they could be sleek and aerodynamic? Making the flying bit more of another 'weapon' in the arsenal - and one that consumes a lot of power - is much more realistic. It's also scarier - trundling weaponised tanks acting alone were always scarier than RTDs millions of flying daleks.
Hear, hear. Their scariness should be a product of their nature - they should be incredibly dangerous, even at range, but slow and relentless. Rather than "we have to make them scary, what power should we give them?"

I seem to remember scenes (possibly from the video games?) of fleets of Daleks descending from the sky, but in that case it still managed to give the impression of a relentless army marching in step, so I think it worked better.

Daleks should never swoop.

Also, why have we never seen the abilities of the dalek in Dalek? The rotating gun, the shell domes being mines. All much more believable.
Someone will either correct me or confirm this, but I thought it was because it turned out to be more expensive and difficult to achieve than anyone expected?
johnnysaucepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 10:29
daveycrocket222
Forum Member

I liked them on the flying saucers on that 90s doc.
daveycrocket222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 12:17
Brass Drag0n
Forum Member

Daleks don't need to climb stairs - they just level the building.

It is interesting how the Daleks are perceived by non-fans/fans.

The non-fan image as perpertrated in the media is still of wobbly old "cardboard" props with sink plungers and egg whisks on their arms who can't climb stairs and fall apart when moving over anything that isn't even ground.

While fans understand they are the onscreen representation of one-man (blob) tanks with heavy weapons/armour, battle computers and an anti-gravity capability.

Though - I do think the bronze Daleks did a little too much swooping around.
Brass Drag0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 03:31
codename_47
Forum Member

Non fans think they're robots without realising it's a fancy wheelchair that probably needs charging every night...

(that's why they only save the flying for when it's REALLY important, terrible drain on the batteries )

There's probably a whole thread in the "misconceptions of Doctor Who" idea now I think about it...
Old 17-09-2013, 16:46
Dr. Linus
Forum Member

It's probably because about three people were watching the show at the time of Remembrance. No one remembers it because hardly anyone watched it.
Dr. Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 18:26
rwebster
Forum Member

It's because the classic series didn't go out of its way to convince people. Levitating daleks were featured, but it didn't make a big deal of them. Dalek demonstrated it in a big, significant, landmark way - people remember the crap out of that scene. Which it did, deliberately, to make a point. "These are not the daleks everyone's joked about for the last sixteen years." It starkly contradicted everyone's cultural awareness, and did it when everyone was watching.
rwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 19:24
Shawn_Lunn
Forum Member

Lazy journalism I suppose.
Shawn_Lunn is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 11:02
daveycrocket222
Forum Member

I think it kinda ruined them for me by having them levitate.

Id prefer the was it was.
Old 22-09-2013, 11:03
daveycrocket222
Forum Member

But thats the BBC writers for you ruin everything. First they actually let us see a dalek inside and then a Ice Warrior inside the suit.

They just seem to take all the mystery away. Least with the classic era you only saw a hand.
Old 22-09-2013, 11:17
Pointy
Forum Member

But thats the BBC writers for you ruin everything. First they actually let us see a dalek inside and then a Ice Warrior inside the suit.

They just seem to take all the mystery away. Least with the classic era you only saw a hand.
In the classic era we got to see inside the Dalek casing.
Pointy is offline   Reply With Quote