Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Watch to show classic episodes with The Doctors Revisited

Old 15-09-2013, 01:22
Dr2Pat
Forum Member

http://watch.uktv.co.uk/shows/doctor-who/episodes/

Watch have confirmed on their website that they are showing classic stories with The Doctors Revisited Documentaries.

Saturday October 12: First Doctor Revisited at 2pm followed by The Aztecs at 2.30pm.
Also two documentaries, The Companions at 4.30pm then Doctor Who Explained at 5.30pm.

Sunday October 13: Second Doctor Revisited at 2pm followed by Tomb of the Cybermen at 2.30pm.

Saturday October 19: Third Doctor Revisited at 2pm followed by Spearhead from Space at 2.30pm

Sunday October 20: Fourth Doctor Revisited at 2pm followed by Pyramids of Mars at 2.30pm

The rest are not yet listed, but i'll assume it'll be the same as this schedule, Saturdays and Sundays at 2pm and 2.30pm.

I'm glad that Watch is showing some classic episodes for the 50th, but as Watch is a pay channel, not all fans will get to see these, which is disappointing and sad.
The BBC should really have done this instead of Watch.

Also, If your wondering, that link is listing episodes of Who Do You Think You Are? as well.
I don't know why either. Do they just put anything with the word "Who" in the title together?
Dr2Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 15-09-2013, 01:38
be more pacific
Forum Member

I wonder if Spearhead will be the new HD version?
be more pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 01:57
Dr2Pat
Forum Member

I wonder if Spearhead will be the new HD version?
A very interesting question. I also wonder if they'll show the Eccleston and Tennant episodes in HD?
It's around the time the Series 1-7 Bluray boxset is released.
As it's only a couple of episodes, they might see it as an opportunity to "Advertise" the Bluray boxset and The Spearhead Bluray as well.
Unlikely, but a small possibility.
Dr2Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 04:25
Xarquol
Forum Member

If it's exactly what was shown on BBC America, then not only will the classic episodes not be in HD (which would be unlikely anyway for Spearhead from Space as it's not been out on bluray long), it will be stretched to 16:9 using that technique where they keep the middle bit of the picture the same as in 4:3 but stretch the outside bits to fill the sides. It's sort of OK most of the time, but a panning shot makes feel like you're in a goldfish bowl.

Actually, if I remember correctly, the Aztecs was in 4:3, but everything after that was stretched to 16:9. Given that I don't even get BBC America in HD, and in the US HD => 16:9 and SD => 4:3, what I actually got was the original stretched to 16:9, then letterboxed to 4:3, then shown in 16:9 on my telly as a postage stamp.

On BBC America, further classic stories shown were:

Fifth Doctor: Earthshock
Sixth Doctor: Vengeance on Varos
Seventh Doctor: Remembrance of the Daleks
Eighth Doctor: you'll never guess

If you're watching these revisited things with people who have never seen the classic story, you might want to record and skip the documentary initially and watch it afterwards, as it is often packed with spoilers for the story you are about to see.

And of course, don't expect four sets of titles and credits. It will be edited together to form an "omnibus". In fact we didn't even get proper credits once on BBC America, as they always reproduce credits in a generic font in the corner of the screen while they show a trailer for something else.
Xarquol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 04:53
Satmanager
Forum Member

If it's exactly what was shown on BBC America, then not only will the classic episodes not be in HD (which would be unlikely anyway for Spearhead from Space as it's not been out on bluray long), it will be stretched to 16:9 using that technique where they keep the middle bit of the picture the same as in 4:3 but stretch the outside bits to fill the sides. It's sort of OK most of the time, but a panning shot makes feel like you're in a goldfish bowl.

Actually, if I remember correctly, the Aztecs was in 4:3, but everything after that was stretched to 16:9. Given that I don't even get BBC America in HD, and in the US HD => 16:9 and SD => 4:3, what I actually got was the original stretched to 16:9, then letterboxed to 4:3, then shown in 16:9 on my telly as a postage stamp.
I do get the BBC America in HD and can confirm that that the Aztecs were shown in 4:3 SD and the rest were shown in 16:9 stretched. They did a pretty good job with the stretch effects and it was not noticeable in the later episodes. I recorded all of the shows and went back to check to make sure my memory didn't play tricks on me.
Satmanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 05:02
Mrfipp
Forum Member

A very interesting question. I also wonder if they'll show the Eccleston and Tennant episodes in HD?
My guess is for New Doctors, they'll be showing two-part stories.

Personally, I think they'll show "Aliens in London", "Human Nature", and "The Pandorica Opens".
Mrfipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 05:45
Xarquol
Forum Member

Those would be good choices, but alas, they apparently are not the ones that have been chosen, which are:

Ninth: Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways
Tenth: The Stolen Earth/Journey's End
Eleventh: The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon

So of that lot, only Matt Smith's were made in HD!
Xarquol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 08:00
Fairyprincess0
Forum Member

I'm not happy their on watch. They could have just as easily been on drama or yesterday.....
Fairyprincess0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 08:50
bennythedip
Forum Member

Was thinking of cancelling sky after the end of the cricket season but will keep it for now and get this lot recorded.
bennythedip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 08:50
MeddlingMonkey
Forum Member

In 2013, if you can find your way to a forum, you can find these things online. DVDs are also being released in the US, so maybe in the UK too.

Don't see the problem with them being on Watch. Just an excuse for yet more whining.
MeddlingMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 09:00
Nimonic Seed
Forum Member

In 2013, if you can find your way to a forum, you can find these things online. DVDs are also being released in the US, so maybe in the UK too.

Don't see the problem with them being on Watch. Just an excuse for yet more whining.
Why pay when you can watch them for free on Dailymotion?
Nimonic Seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 09:10
darnall42
Forum Member

don't think there will be any remastered storys aired on watch,they will most likely use the UK gold versions (perhaps not much better than the appaling ones broadcast on BBC America and issued on DVD)
darnall42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 09:16
stud u like
Forum Member

All in bit parts which are annoying! 12 parts to a story or more.
stud u like is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 09:19
Nimonic Seed
Forum Member

All in bit parts which are annoying! 12 parts to a story or more.
Well yes, there is that!

Don't get me wrong - the Classic DVD's are my preferred format.
Old 15-09-2013, 09:39
Fairyprincess0
Forum Member

Well yes, there is that!

Don't get me wrong - the Classic DVD's are my preferred format.
Do you reckon the 'revisited' Show are gonna be extras on special edition DVDs?.....
Fairyprincess0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 09:50
MeddlingMonkey
Forum Member

I never said that. They were two separate sentences. One, you can find them online, and if they can't then god knows how they ended up here. And I was not talking about streaming on places like daily motion, when there are full downloads out there.

And that DVDs are also available. And pretty reasonable prices.
MeddlingMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 11:15
radcliffe95
Forum Member

And the moaning continues
radcliffe95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 12:14
Nimonic Seed
Forum Member

I never said that. They were two separate sentences. One, you can find them online, and if they can't then god knows how they ended up here. And I was not talking about streaming on places like daily motion, when there are full downloads out there.

And that DVDs are also available. And pretty reasonable prices.
Think you took my comment the wrong way Meddling Monkey. I wasn't challenging your view as such - more making a general point.

I'm just not a fan of (not really agree with)subscription TV. Would much rather buy a DVD or use Lovefilm any day of the week.
Old 15-09-2013, 14:41
JAS84
Forum Member

Was thinking of cancelling sky after the end of the cricket season but will keep it for now and get this lot recorded.
You could always just cancel Sky Sports and keep the entertainment package.
JAS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 15:26
Verence
Forum Member

Sunday October 20: Fourth Doctor Revisited at 2pm followed by Pyramids of Mars at 2.30pm
At least they haven't done the obvious and chosen Genesis Of The Daleks
Verence is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 15:40
CELT1987
Forum Member

At least they haven't done the obvious and chosen Genesis Of The Daleks
Or City of Death!
CELT1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 17:48
chuffnobbler
Forum Member

What platform is WATCH on? I have Sky and I get it. Is it on other stuff too? Really, I have no idea how these things work.

Greta that some vintage DW is to be shown once again. I think I'll make an effort to watch this, as I will with An Unearthly Child on BBC4. Yes, yes, yes, I have all of these stories on DVD on the shelf next to me as I type, but I think there's something to be said for supporting DW on live transmission. (except the new stuff, obviously, which can look after itself|).

As for which Eccleston/Tennant they'll show: aren't they inescapable and constantly repeated anyway?

The big news is that The Aztecs is going to be on the telly! This is one of only a couple of DVDs I own two versions of (courtesy of Galaxy Four), but I love it dearly and will happily give it a whirl. The joy of having B&W telly on the telly again shouldn't be underestimated!
chuffnobbler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 19:57
Verence
Forum Member

What platform is WATCH on? I have Sky and I get it. Is it on other stuff too? Really, I have no idea how these things work.!
It's on Virgin Media as well
Verence is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 23:32
katym13
Forum Member

Hi I'm new here but just wanted to say you can get watch on talk talk tv aswell which i've just got because its 30 pound cheaper than sky.
katym13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 22:36
Westy2
Forum Member

Had enough of Talk Talk broadband service a few years back!
Westy2 is offline   Reply With Quote