Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Falling down.

Old 16-09-2013, 02:01
guttridge
Forum Member

Anyone seen this? What kind of move is it?
guttridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 16-09-2013, 06:52
00tommo
Forum Member

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106856/?ref_=sr_2

Very good film. MIchael Douglas plays a bloke trying to get home for his daughter's birthday and slowly loses the plot, going on a bit of a rampage.
00tommo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 07:26
big brother 9
Forum Member

Amazing movie, Michael Douglas's best in my opinion
big brother 9 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 07:38
MrGiles2
Forum Member

I first saw this movie a few years back. Great to watch about an ordinary guy pushed beyond his limit of endurance, and to go on a rampage. Some great action sequences.
MrGiles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 08:00
Ted Cunterblast
Forum Member

I first saw this movie a few years back. Great to watch about an ordinary guy pushed beyond his limit of endurance, and to go on a rampage. Some great action sequences.

Though the film has a few incidents I would not call them 'action sequences'.

There is the scene where the hoods in the car try to shoot him in the street, and even when they crash you don't see it.

There there is the scene where he blows up the construction site with the rocket launcher...but that's about it.

Furthermore, he does not 'go on a rampage' at all.

I think you are giving the wrong impression completely of what this movie is actually about.

You'll be telling me next you think it's a vigilante movie...
Ted Cunterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 08:13
DariaM
Forum Member

Any movie featuring Robert Duvall is worth watching ... within Falling Down, he plays a cop on the last day of being on the job, and has to track down an unknown vigilante.
DariaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 09:30
dbob
Forum Member

I think you're describing the wrong film.
dbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 09:51
koantemplation
Forum Member

The woman who pukes up in McDonalds is funny.
koantemplation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 11:45
Trsvis_Bickle
Forum Member

Furthermore, he does not 'go on a rampage' at all.

I think you are giving the wrong impression completely of what this movie is actually about.

You'll be telling me next you think it's a vigilante movie...
Any movie featuring Robert Duvall is worth watching ... within Falling Down, he plays a cop on the last day of being on the job, and has to track down an unknown vigilante.
Oops!

Of course it's not a vigilante film. It's much more about a middle-aged man finding that the previous certainties of his life no longer apply. He finds himself a stranger in his own land. Not a bad film but not a great one.
Trsvis_Bickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 13:46
jenzie
Forum Member

"the golf course"

seriously a supreb movie imo
jenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 14:19
Sick Bullet
Forum Member

Great great movie watch it now.
Sick Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 14:42
roger_50
Forum Member

Joel Schumacher's best movie by a million miles. A classic.

It's quite a sad movie in some ways since you see via camcorder footage how unsuited D-Fens' personality is to modern life/dealing with other people. Plus there's a really telling scene where Duvall's character visits D-Fens' mother, and you start to piece together how complex he is.

One of my top 5 films of the 90's. It's not a vigilante movie at all.
roger_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 14:59
dee123
Forum Member

Yeah i think people forget Schumacher can direct a good film. Those campy Batman films have tainted him. The Lost Boys, Flatliners, The Client, A Time To Kill, Tigerland. They aren't bad films at all.
dee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 15:10
gashead
Forum Member

Oops!

Of course it's not a vigilante film. It's much more about a middle-aged man finding that the previous certainties of his life no longer apply. He finds himself a stranger in his own land. Not a bad film but not a great one.
It's a not vigilante film per se in the Death Wish/ Harry Brown sense, but I'd argue that D-FENS is a vigilante in his own middle-aged, white collar way, as he's getting revenge on the things that piss him off; the shops where you need to buy something to get change, gangs, restaurants that stop serving breakfast dead on 11:30, racist thugs, un-necessary road works and rich old men playing golf on land you could house a 1000 familes on. He does the things and voices the frustrations we'd all dearly love to. The world he lives in is leaving him behind and he starts to see injustice and frustration everywhere he goes, so he doles out his own brand of justice.
gashead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 15:22
stvn758
Forum Member

A bit dated now although the debates raging today, or are they just on DS about immigration make it still quite pertinent. Controversial at the time I recall.
stvn758 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 16:07
grimtales1
Forum Member

It's a not vigilante film per se in the Death Wish/ Harry Brown sense, but I'd argue that D-FENS is a vigilante in his own middle-aged, white collar way, as he's getting revenge on the things that piss him off; the shops where you need to buy something to get change, gangs, restaurants that stop serving breakfast dead on 11:30, racist thugs, un-necessary road works and rich old men playing golf on land you could house a 1000 familes on. He does the things and voices the frustrations we'd all dearly love to. The world he lives in is leaving him behind and he starts to see injustice and frustration everywhere he goes, so he doles out his own brand of justice.
I agree, its about him being stretched to breaking point and finally snapping, taking his frustration out on the world.
The breakfast scene in the restaurant is brilliant Great film.
grimtales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 16:31
Glenn A
Forum Member

It's a classic film about a man who is downsized from his job and takes his revenge on the pettiness of modern life and also some of the things that make LA bad such as violent street gangs and the neo Nazi shop owner.
I wish someone would do a British version as there's so much a British D FENS could get mad at such as excessively petty parking regulations, long and pointless queues in shops, Premiership football, aggressive hooded up teenagers, politicians, the list goes on. Be funny if he gets a parking ticket for being a minute late and smashes the attendant's ticket machine and tries to run him over.
Glenn A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 17:19
Ancient IDTV
Forum Member

I haven't seen the film for a long time, but hasn't he been unemployed for a long time, and just pretends to his mother (who he has been forced to move back in with) that he goes to work every day? He's stuck in a fantasy world of his own making, and the traffic jam finally sends him over the edge.
Ancient IDTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 18:17
jenzie
Forum Member

an indetermined time, i'd fathom
jenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 18:17
Glenn A
Forum Member

I haven't seen the film for a long time, but hasn't he been unemployed for a long time, and just pretends to his mother (who he has been forced to move back in with) that he goes to work every day? He's stuck in a fantasy world of his own making, and the traffic jam finally sends him over the edge.
I think he works for a defence contractor that has downsized due to the end of the Cold War and there is some mention of him serving in Vietnam, so basically he's a typical Middle American who feels failed and can't adjust to the nineties. However, I do like the scene in the burger restaurant where he flies off the handle, and where he takes out the Nazi.
Glenn A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 21:31
rfonzo
Forum Member

I think he works for a defence contractor that has downsized due to the end of the Cold War and there is some mention of him serving in Vietnam, so basically he's a typical Middle American who feels failed and can't adjust to the nineties. However, I do like the scene in the burger restaurant where he flies off the handle, and where he takes out the Nazi.
There is also that scene where he sees the African American man protesting outside the bank after he has been turned down for a loan 'saying he is not economically viable.' He and Michael Douglas' character then make eye contact after the police have arrested the protester and says to him 'don't forget me.' I found that scene quite eerie.
rfonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 22:14
scatcatcathy
Forum Member

I agree, its about him being stretched to breaking point and finally snapping, taking his frustration out on the world.
The breakfast scene in the restaurant is brilliant Great film.
Agreed love this film and Michael Douglas is excellent in it.
scatcatcathy is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 22:45
Komrade Kieron
Forum Member

It is a good film, but with some terrible corny scenes.

The one with the kid showing him how to fire a rocket launcher is just cringe.
Komrade Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 10:52
barbeler
Forum Member

I wish someone would do a British version as there's so much a British D FENS could get mad at such as excessively petty parking regulations, long and pointless queues in shops, Premiership football, aggressive hooded up teenagers, politicians, the list goes on.
You could be on to something there. Kids dropping litter, adults dropping cigarette ends, kids squealing in supermarkets, banana flakes in muesli, old men who wear a hat while driving a car, fat people eating crisps in the street, chuggers, inconsiderate parking near schools... it could end up in an almighty bloodbath.
barbeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 10:58
Ciel_Schwards
Forum Member

Really great movie...
Ciel_Schwards is offline   Reply With Quote