Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Too good to be true?

Old 16-09-2013, 12:39
Radio-Active
Forum Member

Just purchased a HD Freeview recorder that takes external drives, anyway this is very useful I was looking at making the generated .ts files a bit more portable.
Anyway had a look at http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/ and it looks very impressive, but when I see software like this I do wonder is there a catch?
Radio-Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 16-09-2013, 12:59
Daedroth
Forum Member

Freemake is a good video converter. I use it fairly frequently. You may find that converting the film to MP4 (Apple) may produce the best compatibility.
Daedroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 13:01
Radio-Active
Forum Member

Freemake is a good video converter. I use it fairly frequently. You may find that converting the film to MP4 (Apple) may produce the best compatibility.
Ok thanks for info
Old 16-09-2013, 13:04
flagpole
Inactive Member

it's a decent program. it doesn't give you the fine control of some more sophisticated programs. but it is basically idiot proof.
flagpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 15:40
oilman
Forum Member

HDTVtoMPEG2 is a good little package. Only creates MPEG2 though. From mpeg2, easy to create DVDs etc. Used it many times.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/au...dtvtompeg2.cfm
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 12:57
Zenith
Forum Member

Just purchased a HD Freeview recorder that takes external drives, anyway this is very useful I was looking at making the generated .ts files a bit more portable.
Anyway had a look at http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/ and it looks very impressive, but when I see software like this I do wonder is there a catch?
I also use this program a lot.

The only catch is that like a lot of other free programs, you have to be very carefull when installing, as there are multiple times when it tries to install other programs.

I think it was this program that asks if you want to install by the "express" method or "custom" method. Choose "custom" method, so that you can decline the "other" programs.
Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 14:50
Radio-Active
Forum Member

What "other" programs?
Old 19-09-2013, 15:06
flagpole
Inactive Member

What "other" programs?
most free software will be supported by things like the google toolbar.
flagpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 15:11
mac2708
Forum Member

What "other" programs?
It certainly tries to install a toolbar which, in turn, tries to change your homepage and default search engine.

Even on the Freemake support pages it says
"What is the toolbar for?
The toolbar integrated within Freemake software is an optional browser addon that gives users an instant access to popular web destinations and services. The next toolbar version will also serve as a basis for new Freemake applications. We offer to install the toolbar because it brings us rewards to maintain project and develop new software."

So, as Zenith points out, read the installation options carefully
mac2708 is offline   Reply With Quote