Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

XBOX 360S 4GB & GTA V storage question

Old 16-09-2013, 18:40
sn1975
Forum Member

Hi all,

I've just discovered that GTA V will need 8GB storage and I only have the 4GB model without a hard drive.

As much as I would love to buy a hard drive I really can't afford it for the foreseeable future.

Would it be possible to install the game onto a USB memory stick and if so, can anyone recommend one?

I've looked at the "official" Sandisk 16GB stick and the only one I can find is with Tesco Direct and they want 40.

Can I use a standard USB memory stick? - ideally I would be able to get a suitable one from Argos, but this isn't essential.

Many thanks.
sn1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 16-09-2013, 19:15
fastest finger
Forum Member

You should be able to use any USB stick of 16gb and above that has a good read/write speed for GTA 5.

Minimum requirements and instructions for formatting can be found here.

http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-3...sb-flash-drive
fastest finger is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 19:22
gds1972
Forum Member

If it's the S model there then there are a few vendors on ebay selling HDD drives for under 30.00 and similar prices on Amazon.
gds1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 19:31
Gilbertoo
Forum Member

I'd imagine any USB stick with enough space on it will suffice.
Gilbertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 20:13
Asmo
Forum Member

I'd imagine any USB stick with enough space on it will suffice.
Unfortunately, as above, there is a minimum speed requirement for this use. Many recent sticks will be up to the job, but be warned, installing to a USB stick can be brutally slow.

There are quite a few sellers on Amazon with 120gb drives in and around the 30 mark, pretty much the same price as a decent 16gb flash, it'd be better investment unless you can find a suitable stick for a fraction of that.

(a low spec stick will probably still 'work' but you might get lots of gitches or worse when it struggles to keep up)
Asmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 20:44
2Dshmuplover
Forum Member

From my experience USB sticks are actually a bit fussy. It's a bit of risk you take when buying one as some brand names don't like to work properly. I've had success with Sandisk and Verbatim, the 360 will not read anything over 32gb per stick.
2Dshmuplover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 21:20
jokerz
Forum Member

I'd say if its the slim model get one of these to save yourself any potential hassle.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/320GB-Intern...ywords=360+hdd

Or try to get one second hand.

Is it me or are these things hard to get hold of now?
jokerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 00:04
sn1975
Forum Member

Many thanks for the replies.

I think I might have to go with the hard drive option, even if this means waiting a bit longer to buy the game.

I looked at the third party hard drives before but isn't there one or more functions that the third party drives can't do? Am I correct in thinking that they can't be used to run original XBOX games?

Is this the only thing they can't handle? The reason I ask is
originally my main reason for buying the official hard drive was to run my original XBOX games and finally retire my original XBOX.

Thanks again.
sn1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 09:42
kexy
Forum Member

I think I might have to go with the hard drive option, even if this means waiting a bit longer to buy the game.

I looked at the third party hard drives before but isn't there one or more functions that the third party drives can't do? Am I correct in thinking that they can't be used to run original XBOX games?

originally my main reason for buying the official hard drive was to run my original XBOX games and finally retire my original XBOX.

Thanks again.
If you're interested, I have a 250GB hard drive that I keep meaning to list on Ebay. If you have a reasonable offer I'm happy to put it on today Buy-It--now and dispatch first class or even next day delivery for you.

No worries if not, I'll dig it out anyway and finally get it listed!
kexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 11:40
jokerz
Forum Member

Thanks again.
I had a 250gb slim and it ran games like GTA San Andreas, Black etc just fine
jokerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 13:29
gds1972
Forum Member

The reason I ask is
Be carefull not all Xbox games will work on the 360 and also some of the games that do work have a few glitches.
The wikipedia link below may help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._with_Xbox_360
gds1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 19:36
big brother 9
Forum Member

Thanks for asking this question op. Wanted to knkw the exact same thing. Looks like im gunna have to do the same as you.

Im not techno minded, is it easy to add the extra memory?
big brother 9 is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote