Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Silent Hill

Old 21-09-2013, 21:59
FusionFury
Forum Member

Is this any good? it looks like my sort of movie.

I loved the video game. And Radha is one of my favourite actresses, very underrated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5mT5LhbRJw

And is number 2 any good?
FusionFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 21-09-2013, 22:01
revolver44
Forum Member

First movie was average, second was laughably bad. Tbf the town looks really good and if you're a fan of the games you'll enjoy hearing the music in the film, but like Resident Evil it just doesn't work on the big screen. Just my opinion though...
revolver44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 22:06
Chris1964
Forum Member

Cant say I really remember the storyline clearly now, but I do think it was very atmospheric. Some of the early confused madworld scenes(cant think of anyway else to describe them) were pretty effective imo.
Chris1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 22:14
woot_whoo
Inactive Member

First movie was average, second was laughably bad. Tbf the town looks really good and if you're a fan of the games you'll enjoy hearing the music in the film, but like Resident Evil it just doesn't work on the big screen. Just my opinion though...
Silent Hill is much better than the Resident Evil movies - mainly because it sticks somewhat closer to the feel and look of the games. The Resident Evil films were action movies based on survival horror games; ideally, they should have been B-movie types, which is what the original Playstation games were modelled on.

The first half of the first Silent Hill is very close to the plot of the first game (discounting the main character's gender). It loses a little in the second half because it explains too much (whereas the original game was more confusing and disorientating) but it was a solid film and I think it did the game justice much more than any other video game adaptation.

The second movie was very campy and OTT, but I hear it follows the plot of the third game (which I've never played) very closely, so chances are if you liked the game you'd like the movie.
woot_whoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 22:50
revolver44
Forum Member

Silent Hill is much better than the Resident Evil movies
You forgot to put "in my opinion" after that sentence. Not that I disagree, just sayin'
revolver44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 23:33
Takae
Forum Member

Cant say I really remember the storyline clearly now, but I do think it was very atmospheric. Some of the early confused madworld scenes(cant think of anyway else to describe them) were pretty effective imo.
I agree with this.

The sequel was a waste, but worth seeing if you want to see the conclusion-ish.
Takae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 23:33
FusionFury
Forum Member

I didn't know Silent Hill was a actual place. Kinda scary.
Old 21-09-2013, 23:41
thats_racist
Forum Member

If you've played the game it's fun to see parts of it recreated and hear the score.

As far as the film goes, it's solid for an hour then disappears up its own backside. All the atmosphere and creepiness built up by the start is ruined by the OTT effects and hammy performances which appear in the third act.
thats_racist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 23:44
Takae
Forum Member

I didn't know Silent Hill was a actual place. Kinda scary.
It's a fictional place, created for the game (and films) only. Unless you were talking about Ashiodozan, the supposedly original source of the game's inspiration?
Old 21-09-2013, 23:54
FusionFury
Forum Member

It's a fictional place, created for the game (and films) only. Unless you were talking about Ashiodozan, the supposedly original source of the game's inspiration?
I just read it here

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...52434380,d.bGE

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...52434380,d.bGE
Old 22-09-2013, 00:03
JasonWatkins
Forum Member

Well I really liked the first one - one of the better creature horror films i've seen IMO. Second one was, of course, terrible, but there was something about the first one I just really liked.
JasonWatkins is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 01:03
Orangemaid
Forum Member

I enjoyed both films, but the first one was better
Orangemaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 08:22
jeff_vader
Forum Member

I'd agree with much of the opinion here. Very atmospheric and close to visual style of game. Don't remember much about sequel; is that the one with the really weird climax? (Dark Alessa?)
jeff_vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 09:51
YoungAtHeart
Forum Member

I haven't ever played the game and didn't know much about it when I watched Silent Hill.

I found it entertaining and for the most part, intriguing.

I still haven't played the game and I haven't seen the second one.
YoungAtHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 13:16
Zeus
Forum Member

I have never played the game but I really liked the movie Silent Hill. I thought it was atmospheric and well done and the attention to detail was much better than I expected, given that it was a game crossover with guaranteed fan base. Often the makers of such movies are tempted to rest on the laurels of the franchise. Not with Silent Hill.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 14:13
woot_whoo
Inactive Member

You forgot to put "in my opinion" after that sentence. Not that I disagree, just sayin'
Be it ever so humble.
woot_whoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 21:53
big brother 9
Forum Member

1st one is very good. Not seen the 2nd yet
big brother 9 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 13:20
Ginger Nut
Forum Member

Is this any good? it looks like my sort of movie.

I loved the video game. And Radha is one of my favourite actresses, very underrated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5mT5LhbRJw

And is number 2 any good?
It's very good. The switch over to alternate Silent Hill is pretty much spot on in the creepy stakes as in the game.

It was on tv again recently and reminded me what a hottie Radha Mitchell is. Not to mention Laurie Holden. Hubba hubba.

I had no idea there'd been a sequel mind.
Ginger Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 13:48
dee123
Forum Member

Silent Hill is much better than the Resident Evil movies - mainly because it sticks somewhat closer to the feel and look of the games. The Resident Evil films were action movies based on survival horror games; ideally, they should have been B-movie types, which is what the original Playstation games were modelled on.

The first half of the first Silent Hill is very close to the plot of the first game (discounting the main character's gender). It loses a little in the second half because it explains too much (whereas the original game was more confusing and disorientating) but it was a solid film and I think it did the game justice much more than any other video game adaptation.

The second movie was very campy and OTT, but I hear it follows the plot of the third game (which I've never played) very closely, so chances are if you liked the game you'd like the movie.
This is very true. And if you actually think about all the woeful movies based on games, it is pretty good. I do love the cast: Rhada Mitchell, Sean Bean, Laurie Holden and Alice Krige.
dee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 18:04
Takae
Forum Member

This is very true. And if you actually think about all the woeful movies based on games, it is pretty good. I do love the cast: Rhada Mitchell, Sean Bean, Laurie Holden and Alice Krige.
Alone in the Dark has to be the worst. It doesn't even have the 'so bad it is good' offering. To all people who say that Hitman is the worst, you don't know what you're talking about. Take a look at Alone in the Dark and tell me if you still say Hitman is the worst. Damn you, Uwe Boll.

I think the best popcorn film adaptations are Silent Hill, The Prince of Persia and Tomb Raider. I had zero expectations when I watched Doom, but it took me by surprise by being a somewhat decent adaptation. I think mostly because I liked some nods it make to the game. A mildly entertaining action B-movie, basically.
Old 23-09-2013, 22:13
Littlegreen42
Forum Member

The first left me feeling violated, extremely disturbing. Brilliant though...
Littlegreen42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 15:03
FusionFury
Forum Member

It's very good. The switch over to alternate Silent Hill is pretty much spot on in the creepy stakes as in the game.

It was on tv again recently and reminded me what a hottie Radha Mitchell is. Not to mention Laurie Holden. Hubba hubba.

I had no idea there'd been a sequel mind.
Radha Mitchell was in Pitch Black too also good acting very underrated actress.. and cute too
Old 25-09-2013, 17:03
Ber
Forum Member

I enjoyed the first Silent Hill and Resident Evil.

The laser scene in RE is pretty cool - especially at the end!
Ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 23:21
InTheLoop
Forum Member

Spoiler
InTheLoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 00:03
Takae
Forum Member

Spoiler
It's certainly open to interpretation, but my take: No.