Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Jessie J leaving the UK

Old 25-09-2013, 14:34
RussJ
Forum Member

Jessie is reportedly off to try and crack America, but why? Why do British artist feel the need to always rushing off to the US after making their name in Britain? Most of them come back having failed, so is it really worth it?

If this story is true, I wish her well, but I can't help but feel she will be added to the failed list.

RussJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 25-09-2013, 14:37
RikScot
Forum Member

Jessie is reportedly off to try and crack America, but why? Why do British artist feel the need to always rushing off to the US after making their name in Britain? Most of them come back having failed, so is it really worth it?

If this story is true, I wish her well, but I can't help but feel she will be added to the failed list.

Cheerio then
RikScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 14:40
ICON111
Forum Member

It is quite funny because her starpower is dwindling here. No #1 singles from her new album. Her new album is predicted to sell more than half that her debut did in its first week etc.
ICON111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 14:48
MrMeatAndPotato
Forum Member

Oh no.
MrMeatAndPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 14:50
konebyvax
Forum Member

Shouldn't she try and crack the UK first?
konebyvax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 14:51
Emma_Waughman
Forum Member

Can give the Americans the same shit she gives us...The `Be Yourself talk`
Emma_Waughman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 14:52
dee123
Forum Member

Toodlef**k. Bye-bye.
dee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 14:53
kutox
Forum Member

And don't come back
kutox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 14:59
So 3008
Forum Member

What exactly is that site, I've never heard of it before.

And I'm sure that quote is old as well.
So 3008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 15:46
sjp07
Forum Member

They make it seem like she's just up and leaving to do something new. She has a tour with Robin Thicke next year. She can't really be in the UK when she is on tour. After that, she is doing what she would have done with WYA if she had not broken her foot. Making the rounds around the country. It's almost impossible to have success here without actually being here which is why Ed Sheeran was here for all that time going around the country. The girl isn't abandoning the UK. She is working.
sjp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 16:09
Howardessex
Forum Member

She is hardly " rushing off " to the USA !!!. She has had two big hits inthe US , for example Domino is still played on the radio in US , but nothing else has taken off since then . She would be mad not to have another go at the largest music sales market in the World . Good luck to her .
Howardessex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 16:10
mary patricia
Forum Member

Breaking America means more money which leads to bigger and longer tours. Wanting to do bigger things is hardly confined to artists. Maybe she just likes the challenge? Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that.
mary patricia is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 16:18
elasticlove
Forum Member

I wish her Natasha Bedingfield-esque success with that.
elasticlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 16:27
sjp07
Forum Member

She is hardly " rushing off " to the USA !!!. She has had two big hits inthe US , for example Domino is still played on the radio in US , but nothing else has taken off since then . She would be mad not to have another go at the largest music sales market in the World . Good luck to her .
Nothing has taken off because nothing has been released. Wild was out on iTunes, but that's it. It wasnt promoted or sent to radios when it came out. It was just out on iTunes and that was about it. Other than that, the only two songs she has actually released here are Price Tag and Domino. That's it. She sold her album here and reached number 11 I think, just off the back of Price Tag. Domino wasn't released until a while later and that has been the extent of what she has done here. Considering that's all she's released and both singles went platinum, not too shabby for a newcomer.
sjp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 16:30
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

Let's all help her pack.
cnbcwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 16:33
marc822
Forum Member

Thank goodness, hope she stays there!
marc822 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 20:14
Lewnaticc
Forum Member

Jessie is reportedly off to try and crack America, but why? Why do British artist feel the need to always rushing off to the US after making their name in Britain?
It's all about the money, money, money. Jessie wants their money, money, money.
Lewnaticc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 20:19
PCRose
Forum Member

Yes please.
PCRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 20:28
tangsman
Forum Member

Glad to see ya go!
Don't bother coming back.
tangsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 21:27
ashtray88
Forum Member

It's funny how British artists that actually do crack the US don't need to move over there and if they do it's usually after they crack America and because they like it there... Although I thought Jessie J was kind of known in the US anyway...
ashtray88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 22:05
Pierson
Forum Member

Jessie is reportedly off to try and crack America, but why? Why do British artist feel the need to always rushing off to the US after making their name in Britain? Most of them come back having failed, so is it really worth it.
She's already had some success over there, her first album went to #11 and both Price Tag and Domino sold over 1m copies. She was writing for other artists with big producers over there before she launched herself as an artist, so she's always had a connection with the US. It's not surprising that she's looking to build on her success there with this album.

As for why artists go out to the America, it's quite simple: more people = more potential buyers = more money. The US is one of the biggest music markets, it's more financially rewarding than the UK. There are more cities to tour than the UK. It can open a lot of doors. Once you've conquered the US, the world is pretty much your oyster.
Pierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 22:09
Microkorg
Forum Member

Quick!
Change the Locks
Microkorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 22:12
FMKK
Forum Member

She's not exactly setting the UK charts alight. Her new single is only 10th in iTunes, which isn't great considering that it's pretty radio-friendly. Her previous single got as far as 5th in the charts despite being a lead single with a Dizzie Rascal feature and her album is only 4th on iTunes right now. I think he's been so over-promoted and overexposed to the point that people are getting sick of her because it feels like she's being shoved down our throats.
FMKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 22:19
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

Glad to see ya go!
Don't bother coming back.
Let's hope she books a one-way ticket
cnbcwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 22:59
Rooftopcowboy
Forum Member

She's not exactly setting the UK charts alight. Her new single is only 10th in iTunes, which isn't great considering that it's pretty radio-friendly. Her previous single got as far as 5th in the charts despite being a lead single with a Dizzie Rascal feature and her album is only 4th on iTunes right now. I think he's been so over-promoted and overexposed to the point that people are getting sick of her because it feels like she's being shoved down our throats.
The problem is the songs, Price Tag was a fantastic song, Domino was the musical embodiment of the middle of the road, mid-tempo songs that commercial stations like Capital play...so no wonder it was the most played song on radio last year.

the new singles just aren't of the same quality, Its My Party in particular just sounds like a song Pink turned down!
Rooftopcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote