Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Western Digital Passport Essential not working

Old 25-09-2013, 21:51
Red Arrow
Forum Member

I've been given a Western Digital Passport Essential 500GB external hard drive to look at from a friend as it isn't working.

I've tried plugging it into a couple of USB ports using a couple of different cables and each time a light comes on the hard drive and you can hear it spinning but nothing comes up on Windows. It's just not detecting any sort of device being connected.

I've just taken the hard drive out of it case hoping to see if I can plug it directly into my hard drive caddy but it doesn't appear to have a standard 2.5" hard drive IDE or SATA connection.

Anyone got any idea on what I can try to either get it working or connecting it up without using the USB port on it?
Red Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 25-09-2013, 23:02
LION8TIGER
Forum Member

Someone posted about these some time ago and I believe they look like this out of the case, pure junk in my opinion, I don't think there is much you can do (sorry).
Some people posted on Google that a Y cable like this was needed to make them work, is that what your friend was using ?
LION8TIGER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 09:03
Red Arrow
Forum Member

Yeah that's exactly like how it looks, useless connection.

My friend isn't using that type of cable, but I think I have one somewhere to give it a go. Thanks.
Old 26-09-2013, 09:12
psionic
Forum Member

Doesn't the PCB come off, and reveal standard SATA connections on the back of the drive?
psionic is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 09:44
chrisjr
Forum Member

Doesn't the PCB come off, and reveal standard SATA connections on the back of the drive?
I've seen a few YouTube videos showing various people stripping down one of these drives. From those it would appear the USB connector is integrated onto the main drive electronics PCB rather than being a simple plug in unit.

WD appear to be using a specific type of drive for these units rather than just a bog standard unit with add on electronics to make it USB.
chrisjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 09:45
Red Arrow
Forum Member

It seems to be actually part of the drive with no way to come off.