Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Ellen

Old 25-09-2013, 23:12
mizhog
Forum Member

just started re watching this. was such a great little sitcom, any fans here?
mizhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 25-09-2013, 23:20
Cronker
Forum Member

It was a good sitcom in its day.
Fascinating now to realise that Ellen coming out basically killed the show dead.
Especially noting that we have had Will & Grace, Queer As Folk and recently Modern Family, where gay characters are not even blinked at anymore.
Cronker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 09:17
LudwigVonDrake
Forum Member

^Guess someone has to start the ball rolling and while it may have ended her show it paved the way for those other shows you mentioned.
LudwigVonDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 10:01
koantemplation
Forum Member

just started re watching this. was such a great little sitcom, any fans here?
I've been watching seasons 1 and 2, and have 3 to watch later.

It is great seeing it again.

The only thing that gets me, is that now I know she is a lesbian, all the dating story lines and some of the anti men stuff, seem a little forced.
Everytime she dates a bloke I keep thinking, 'but you don't really like men'.
koantemplation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 12:34
decobelle
Forum Member

I loved Ellen, and the supporting cast, especially Audrey the squeaky voiced brutally honest gun nut!
decobelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 12:36
MikeySaint859
Forum Member

I was a fan back in the 1990s. I always liked the slightly ironic tilt of the show, and the above average intelligence of E DeGeneres and the scripts. There's probably nothing like it on at the moment, but American TV regularly had quirky little shows like Ellen for thirty years or more.

Wasn't she very coy about her sexuality for most of the series, though? I seem to remember that sex was rarely mentioned till she "came out" towards the end.
MikeySaint859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 13:28
NoEntry2k
Forum Member

Wasn't she very coy about her sexuality for most of the series, though? I seem to remember that sex was rarely mentioned till she "came out" towards the end.
As the series went on I think it became a more ambiguous subject. Before she came out in the programme I seem to remember there being so good ‘in jokes’ about her sexuality. I think at the time there was some speculation that the fact that the programme was on ABC, which is owned by family friendly Disney, contributed to its axing too.

Doesn’t Jeremy Piven look different too. Somehow he looks better now in Mr Selfridge than he did almost 20 years a go… someone’s had some work done.

I’ve always liked Ellen, and its nice to see her more popular than ever now with her daytime talkshow now in its 11th season. She complete dominates the daytime talkshow genre in the US, fairly impressive to be so successful for so many years.
NoEntry2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 19:24
little-monster
Forum Member

Great show, but it did actually go downhill when Ellen came out lesbian. Obviously Ellen was a lesbian in real life, but it just seemed random a character we had watched 4 seasons was just suddenly a lesbian, without any mention or hint about it before. There were several odd jokes in the lead up to her coming out, but it just didn't make sense.
little-monster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 19:27
koantemplation
Forum Member

Great show, but it did actually go downhill when Ellen came out lesbian. Obviously Ellen was a lesbian in real life, but it just seemed random a character we had watched 4 seasons was just suddenly a lesbian, without any mention or hint about it before. There were several odd jokes in the lead up to her coming out, but it just didn't make sense.
I've just watched the first 3 seasons, and everytime she went out with a bloke or made a joke about men, I couldn't help thinking well don't go out with men then.

I know I shouldn't but all I can think about is her lesbianism when watching now.
koantemplation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 21:54
Gulftastic
Forum Member

Even though they only appeared in a couple of episodes, Ellen's book group (including Ben Stiller's wife Christine Taylor) were hilarious.

I liked the show. It was very funny.
Gulftastic is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote