Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

USB Recovery Media

Old 26-09-2013, 16:56
Stig
Forum Member

I have a new Dell PC with Windows 8, and it has the Dell Recovery Media software on it to backup the 'factory setup', which includes the OS. I have created the backup on an 8GB USB stick. All fairly easy so far.

However, I don't want to just have the backup on the USB stick for a few reasons.
1) I want to use the stick for other purposes.
2) I am concerned the USB stick would get overwriiten or lost anyway.

So, what are my options? Can I 'image' the USB stick somehow, and keep it safe on a hard disk somewhere? The USB media is bootable, so I need to take sure I can create another bootable device from the backup.

Any suggestions?
Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 26-09-2013, 19:32
LION8TIGER
Forum Member

I'm no expert (as you may well know ) but can you not burn a DVD or two for the factory restore ?

1) I want to use the stick for other purposes.
I definitely wouldn't do that !!, its likely to mess it up.

You could also save an ISO image to an external hard drive.
LION8TIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 21:18
Pucky
Forum Member

I'm no expert (as you may well know ) but can you not burn a DVD or two for the factory restore ?
It depens on the machine, sometimes you can burn DVDs, but if your machine has no drive then it'll want to create it on a USB stick..
Pucky is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 22:43
Stig
Forum Member

It depens on the machine, sometimes you can burn DVDs, but if your machine has no drive then it'll want to create it on a USB stick..
It's actually a tablet PC, and writing the recovery media to USB is the only option.

So far, I've found two different utilities to create an image of the USB stick. I just wondered of anyone else has encountered the same dilemma.
Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 14:39
Pucky
Forum Member

I'd echo the above poster when they said don't use the USB stick. Flash memory is quite cheap now so why not just get the smallest USB stick you can (allow a bit of extra size than recommended just in case) and keep it somewhere safe?

Manufacturers who use this recovery option never recommend that you use the stick for anything else in case it becomes corrupt or lost.

If you can find a utility that will clone the stick then great - but test it first by running a recovery on the machine.
Pucky is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 14:46
tellytart1
Forum Member

8GB USB sticks are so cheap nowadays, buy two. One to use normally, and one to make a clone of the backup stick - that way if one memory stick fails, you've still got the other.
tellytart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 02:05
evil c
Forum Member

You could use an SD card with a USB connection if your m/board supports booting from an SD card. Furthermore it will be capable of being write protected, which will ease your overwritable worries. Or you could buy a USB flash drive with write protection (see Kanguru below).

Answers to question on how to make SD card bootable: http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/8-gb-sd-card-bootable/

Kanguru Solutions 16GB SS3 USB 3.0 with write-protect (eBay UK): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-Kangu...30941546952%26

8GB FlashBlu II USB 2.0 with write-protect from Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Kanguru-Soluti...ref=pd_sim_e_3
evil c is offline   Reply With Quote