Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Best way to save data from old PC?

Old 30-09-2013, 22:49
vicsmoxey
Forum Member

Hi,

I am looking to get rid of my desktop pc, but want to save the music, photos etc from it. My plan is to replace it with a new laptop in the near future, either Windows or Mac, not sure yet.
Am I right in thinking the best way to do this would be to get a portable hard drive, save all the data onto it, say goodbye to the desktop PC, bring in the new laptop and transfer the music from the portable hard drive to the new laptop, etc.

Thanks
vicsmoxey is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 30-09-2013, 23:53
LION8TIGER
Forum Member

Yes that would do the job or depending how much you have a flash drive/memory stick may do.
LION8TIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:14
Si_Crewe
Forum Member

I find one of THESE things pretty handy.
Course, if you actually plan to make use of the old HDD as an external HDD then you can just buy a suitable case and take it from there instead.

Hard part is often knowing where to look to actually get all the data off an old PC.
It's easy enough to find all the stuff from your "My Documents" directory etc but it's easy to forget about stuff like emails, contacts lists, internet favourites, save-game files etc.
Si_Crewe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:46
neo_wales
Forum Member

Keep the PC and plug the base unit into your TV so you can browse the internet on a big screen. Most modern TV's have a PC monitor connector on them. You can then transfer files to your new laptop.
neo_wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:56
Smiley433
Forum Member

My plan is to replace it with a new laptop in the near future, either Windows or Mac, not sure yet.
Are the file systems compatible? i.e. can you copy for example music files from the old PC onto a USB flash drive or USB hard drive, plug the drive into a Mac and everything can still be read?
Smiley433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:31
chrisjr
Forum Member

Are the file systems compatible? i.e. can you copy for example music files from the old PC onto a USB flash drive or USB hard drive, plug the drive into a Mac and everything can still be read?
Macs can read and write to FAT32 file systems. They can read but not write to NTFS file systems.

So shouldn't be a problem.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Drives_and_Filesystems
chrisjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 14:16
oilman
Forum Member

Backing up to Cloud e.g. Dropbox is a good way of doing it if you have a fast enough broadband.
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 14:19
oilman
Forum Member

I find one of THESE things pretty handy.
Course, if you actually plan to make use of the old HDD as an external HDD then you can just buy a suitable case and take it from there instead.

Hard part is often knowing where to look to actually get all the data off an old PC.
It's easy enough to find all the stuff from your "My Documents" directory etc but it's easy to forget about stuff like emails, contacts lists, internet favourites, save-game files etc.

If you are using outlook you can back up files to a .pst file and then save this.

To save favourites etc, I normally start at theC:\Users directory and just copy the whole lot.
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 17:22
Smiley433
Forum Member

Macs can read and write to FAT32 file systems. They can read but not write to NTFS file systems.

So shouldn't be a problem.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Drives_and_Filesystems
Thanks for that, I've never been a Mac user so wasn't sure.

Obviously if the OP has documents/workfiles created in software that is not available on a Mac, then that could cause issues if there is no compatability or file conversion available.
Smiley433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 18:11
PsychoTherapist
Forum Member

They can read but not write to NTFS file systems.
With this, they can write to NTFS drives also:

http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-download/
PsychoTherapist is offline   Reply With Quote