Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Updated Chrome - New Tab

Old 04-10-2013, 17:52
jsmith99
Forum Member

I had the old Chrome 'new tab' nicely set up, with a mixture of the 'app' links and links to my most visited web sites. It took a while to hone them down to the eight I wanted.

Following the upgrade all I have is a Google search box (which I can do already in the omnibox) and a solitary link. Because, apparently, if I go to a web site via Bookmarks it won't appear on the new tab page.

Ok, I can have 'Apps' on the toolbar, and click on it after I open a new tab, but I don't want that. I want to reduce clutter, so I don't want 'Apps' on there at all.

Is there any way to go back to my old page when I select ;new tab'? I can't see anything in 'Settings'. And in Tools I can create application shortcuts in various places, but not 'new tab'.
jsmith99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 04-10-2013, 19:25
paulsalter
Forum Member

if you go to

chrome://flags in the address bar

then look for Enable Instant Extended API

change this to disabled

Note though that Google has a habit of removing the flags that revert things, so not sure how long this can be turned off for
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 23:59
jsmith99
Forum Member

The option below the description says "Enable", so I assume it's already disabled.

I should point out that I haven't the faintest idea what it means, nor what I'd with it,
jsmith99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:53
mred2000
Forum Member

The option below the description says "Enable", so I assume it's already disabled.

I should point out that I haven't the faintest idea what it means, nor what I'd with it,
It should say "Default" by, erm, default... Whatever it says, change it to "Disabled" and Bob's your uncle.
mred2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 15:34
shadowassassin
Forum Member

The new tab page is absolutely insane, I have no idea what the Google engineers were thinking...Why add a redundant search box/logo there when the omnibar is selected by default, I mean, it takes a whole mouse movement/click to use something I can just type and press enter. Also the way you can't edit your favourite pages (appears to just be static HTML now ) and the fact apps have their own entry on the favourites bar.

Good job Google...
shadowassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 20:00
shhftw
Forum Member

if you go to

chrome://flags in the address bar

then look for Enable Instant Extended API

change this to disabled

Note though that Google has a habit of removing the flags that revert things, so not sure how long this can be turned off for
Fantastic!
shhftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 15:28
mred2000
Forum Member

It seems that as of Chrome 33, this work-around is now defunct...
mred2000 is offline   Reply With Quote