Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Captain Phillips - another film ruined by shakey-cam

Old 27-10-2013, 17:01
Lojen
Forum Member

Some of the crew on the boat have taken issue with the portrayal of Richard Phillips

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/captain-p...070629510.html
You know what, I really couldn't care less. I pretty much dismiss the accuracy of any film claimed to be "based on a true story" from the outset.

These films never turn out to be very close to the truth, if there even is a truth in the first place, and as long as you go to see them with that attitude you will avoid disappointment later on.

Cpt Philips stands on its own as a decent movie, and it's accuracy, or lack thereof is an utter irrelevance to me

Edit - Oh yeah and I didn't really notice the shaky cam, but generally its use doesn't bother me.
Lojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 28-10-2013, 14:48
Evilredzebra
Forum Member

Outstanding film - felt like I'd lived through the whole experience with him by the end of it. Tom Hanks is incredible and so are the newcomers in the cast who more than hold their own alongside him.
Evilredzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 15:43
jamiesd
Forum Member

Fantastic film, brilliant acting.

Only gripe i had was that some of the scenes dragged a bit.

Just my opinion but don't let that put you off seeing it. Its still very good.

jamiesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 16:23
occasional post
Forum Member

Fantastic film, brilliant acting.

Only gripe i had was that some of the scenes dragged a bit.

Just my opinion but don't let that put you off seeing it. Its still very good.

I agree - I saw it at the weekend and enjoyed it but thought it could have been 20 mins shorter, mainly by trimming some of the scenes in the lifeboat which seemed a little repetitive.

I does bug me slightly that no one (animators aside) seem to want to make 90 min films anymore - 2 hours or more is the norm these days
occasional post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 18:18
paulsh1
Forum Member

I agree - I saw it at the weekend and enjoyed it but thought it could have been 20 mins shorter, mainly by trimming some of the scenes in the lifeboat which seemed a little repetitive.

I does bug me slightly that no one (animators aside) seem to want to make 90 min films anymore - 2 hours or more is the norm these days
I agree totally.Saw this this afternoon.Pretty enjoyable,but wow,the the scenes you mentioned dragged on so long that it took the shine off the film for me.
paulsh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 22:33
TexAveryWolf
Forum Member

Saw the movie tonight.
Whatever its' basis in actuality, this is a nerve-shredding couple of hours.I was never less than gripped or fascinated, and whilst I expected the Grassicam to give me motion sickness, it didn't.

Hanks is superb.
TexAveryWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 18:29
semiminted
Forum Member

Hanks is amazing and his acting appears effortless in parts. And the Actors playing Somalis felt so real and believable.

Even pirates have an American dream....
semiminted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 23:10
Sez_babe
Forum Member

I saw this film tonight - amazing! The last scene was absolutely fantastic. The first thing I said to my friend when it finished was "you can tell why he's won two Oscars!!"
Sez_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 23:26
mal2pool
Forum Member

Cant believe 4 somalian men took over a huge ship. Coudn't they pour boiling water over the top to stop them . The gates werent very effective at all to stop them coming aboard either.
Did have some simpathy for the men at the end. That guy sent to prison in america for all those years..he might as well have been shot with the others.
mal2pool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 09:06
heiker
Forum Member

Cant believe 4 somalian men took over a huge ship. Coudn't they pour boiling water over the top to stop them . The gates werent very effective at all to stop them coming aboard either.
Did have some simpathy for the men at the end. That guy sent to prison in america for all those years..he might as well have been shot with the others.
What....and risk getting shot whilst you are tipping the bucket over the side.
heiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 11:01
Will_Bennetts
Forum Member

Thanks for the spoilers
Will_Bennetts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 11:10
heiker
Forum Member

Thanks for the spoilers
You learnt a lesson there. Never read a movie thread until after you have been to the cinema
heiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 11:12
Virgil Tracy
Forum Member

what surprised me was that the crew had no guns , are they not allowed them ?
Virgil Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 11:20
nessyfencer
Forum Member

Thanks for the spoilers
No, he's winding you up. Basically, the pirates don't manage to get on board and the film ends at that. Best 10 minutes of my life ever.
nessyfencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 12:42
Trsvis_Bickle
Forum Member

Thanks for the spoilers
Every trailer, review and synopsis that I've seen includes the fact that the pirates get aboard. Here's another one for you - the boat sinks at the end of Titanic.
Trsvis_Bickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 17:04
mal2pool
Forum Member

Sorry...didnt know how to put spoilers on....!! You needn't go now..you know what happens..saved you money
I would have hid on the deck and chucked hot water over between the bullets!
mal2pool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 11:19
Will_Bennetts
Forum Member

Finally got round to watching ths last night . I loved it didn't really notice the shaky cam at all if I'm honest . I'm not sure how the people complaining about it manage to walk across the street without collapsing .
Anyway I thiught it was a bloody brilliant film. I loved how it didn't go down the usual route of portraying the Americans as really heroic and the best of the best . Plus it made u think about why some Somalians are drawn in the first place to piracy.
Will_Bennetts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 19:25
Syntax Error
Forum Member

I must say that I don't recall the shaky cam at all.

I thought Captain Phillips was a great film with excellent performances not only from Tom Hanks, but the 4 actors who played the main Somali pirates.

They were really menacing & crazed & they really added to the tension of the film.

Best film I've seen in 2013.
Syntax Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 19:30
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

what surprised me was that the crew had no guns , are they not allowed them ?
At the time they were not allowed to use guns. Now, as a result of this and other incidents, they have security staff who are allowed to use them...
theonlyweeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 20:18
vacumtoobs
Forum Member

Agree,seen a few bladder straining 3 hr plus epics,but GRAVITY is only 90mins and the new film about JFK being shot,PARKLAND is about 90 mins too.

PS,to some of the other posters,thnks for comments about "shakey cam" was half thinking about seeing Capt Phillips.......................may think twice now
vacumtoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 21:16
tom_domutoa
Inactive Member

Agree,seen a few bladder straining 3 hr plus epics,but GRAVITY is only 90mins and the new film about JFK being shot,PARKLAND is about 90 mins too.

PS,to some of the other posters,thnks for comments about "shakey cam" was half thinking about seeing Capt Phillips.......................may think twice now
I will give you an example of how bad the filming was......

before he gets on his ship, Cap Phillips was in his hometown in the US. His wife drives him to the airport to catch his plane that will take him to his ship. Innocuous shots you may think...yeah.........NO

The entire 3 min sequence is shot with the camera framing Tom Hanks nasal hairs.......whilst the car is being driven....

It was that bad.
tom_domutoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 01:10
linkinpark875
Forum Member

Seen this last week.

Great movie.
linkinpark875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 14:58
Philip Wales
Forum Member

Watched it this weekend, even the wife enjoyed it. Another excellent performance from Tom Hanks. Didn't notice the shakey cam myself.
Philip Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 17:38
sneaky smeagol
Forum Member

The only difference between this movie and a jason statham movie is tom hanks was in it and it was based on a real story with some unknown actors.
but really it was no different. except the acting was not the best in captain phillips
sneaky smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 23:56
Rodney McKay
Forum Member

Captain Phillips wipes the floor with Gravity.
Rodney McKay is offline   Reply With Quote