Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Abi Alton, the definition of mediocrity

Old 12-10-2013, 21:19
HughOS
Forum Member

Couldn't see what the judges were raving about with that performance. I found it so typical and so derivative. The whole piano version of an iconic song on a talent show is so overdone at this point. And she didn't even sing it that well to my ears. She lost pitch frequently and hit a lot of bad notes. Am I the only one that feels like this?
HughOS is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 12-10-2013, 21:22
FusionFury
Forum Member

Her voice doesn't stand out for me.
FusionFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 21:22
Wayfarers
Forum Member

There's a whole plethora of 'fragile' female performers sat at pianos doing drippy versions of male voiced songs. Abi is one in a long line that includes Birdy, Gabrielle Aplin and every other chick on Youtube with access to a piano and an internet connection.
Wayfarers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 21:27
Convict
Forum Member

What were the judges listening to? Abi made a classic Bon jovi different all right but not in a good way. She's the worst of the night for me.
Convict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 21:29
quasimoron
Forum Member

I said I would give her a chance but she was dire.The girl cant sing.
quasimoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 22:36
staceyxxx23
Forum Member

The definition of perfection more like.
staceyxxx23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 22:37
_NiallDEE_
Forum Member

She's even worse than mediocre, definition of awful imo.
_NiallDEE_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 22:38
Robin_Jones
Forum Member

She can play the piano well but her tone is not nice to listen to. Nasal and limited.
Robin_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 22:41
Eurostar
Forum Member

She can play the piano well but her tone is not nice to listen to. Nasal and limited.
Yes, this is the problem : a very good musician but she's limited vocally.
Eurostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 22:46
batesy2000
Forum Member

Terrible. Not suited to this show
batesy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 22:46
Paul_Howard1
Inactive Member

Couldn't see what the judges were raving about with that performance. I found it so typical and so derivative. The whole piano version of an iconic song on a talent show is so overdone at this point. And she didn't even sing it that well to my ears. She lost pitch frequently and hit a lot of bad notes. Am I the only one that feels like this?
I totally agree with you
Paul_Howard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 22:48
fireemblemcraze
Forum Member

I don't understand what you're all on about - yes it's not the best version of the song but all this stuff about her killing a decent song and singing out of tune simply means you don't like her style. She was great and she did sing in tune - I honestly don't know what DS was hearing.
fireemblemcraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 22:48
Reality Sucks
Forum Member

I enjoyed her, especially after all the power ballads.
Reality Sucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 22:50
Reality Sucks
Forum Member

What were the judges listening to? Abi made a classic Bon jovi different all right but not in a good way. She's the worst of the night for me.
I found it a pleasant change from the original which I can't stand. She made it sound bearable to me.
Reality Sucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 22:51
Eurostar
Forum Member

I don't understand what you're all on about - yes it's not the best version of the song but all this stuff about her killing a decent song and singing out of tune simply means you don't like her style. She was great and she did sing in tune - I honestly don't know what DS was hearing.
If you're promoting yourself as a singer / songwriter type who plays piano or acoustic guitar, you have to have a flawless, note perfect vocal....you can't just be adequate.
Eurostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 22:52
LemonadeMouth
Forum Member

She stands out in the competition that's something that will separate her from the other female singers in the competition. For me Abi is one of the most believable acts in this years competition. She is aware of who she is.
LemonadeMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 22:52
JustArun
Forum Member

She bored me. I thought it was cute but very boring and she looks like Andrea Begley the winner of The Voice UK.
JustArun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 22:54
Georgiecats
Forum Member

I've liked her in the auditions but didn't like this performance. Her voice sounded reedy and thin.

She just reminds me of the girl who won The Voice.
Georgiecats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 22:57
fireemblemcraze
Forum Member

I love Bon Jo but seriously guys the original version sounds cheesy so she did do quite well. Remember Storm Lee doing this last time in the same way Bon Jo did? It was so mediocre and cheesy...and he came bottom of the votes that week.

Abi did well for herself.
Old 12-10-2013, 22:58
Nastyman69
Forum Member

She was awful
Nastyman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 23:13
Daewos
Forum Member

Sorry, she did not sing in tune or well - try actually listening to that performance.
Daewos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 23:16
fireemblemcraze
Forum Member

Sorry, she did not sing in tune or well - try actually listening to that performance.
Thanks for the advice. I did actually (hence why I'm commenting ) - it's one thing to comment about someone's pitch and whether they stay in key...which she was throughout the song...and it's another to dislike their style. Simply put I think loads of you dislike her style and are just saying she's out of tune.
Old 12-10-2013, 23:19
Lucylocket88

I love Bon Jo but seriously guys the original version sounds cheesy so she did do quite well. Remember Storm Lee doing this last time in the same way Bon Jo did? It was so mediocre and cheesy...and he came bottom of the votes that week.

Abi did well for herself.
I agree. I am sure if she sang the song in the same style, she would still be slated. I thought she did well tonight,
Lucylocket88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 23:19
scamrasc
Forum Member

Thanks for the advice. I did actually (hence why I'm commenting ) - it's one thing to comment about someone's pitch and whether they stay in key...which she was throughout the song...and it's another to dislike their style. Simply put I think loads of you dislike her style and are just saying she's out of tune.
oh come on, she was very flat throughout a lot of the song. she wasn't by any means the only one, but her singing did leave a lot to be desired.
(ftr - i like this style of singing when it's done right. but she's very very weak, and in tonight's performance, despite me hating that arrangement anyway, i was still listening to her on a technical level and she fumbled a lot of the notes).
scamrasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 23:21
downtonfan
Forum Member

This thread: definition of digital spy twatdom
downtonfan is offline   Reply With Quote