Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Pointless thread about initials

Old 15-10-2013, 20:16
CoalHillJanitor
Forum Member

Amongst the twelve Doctors, no two actors have the same pair of initials.

The most popular first initial is P, with a Patrick, a Paul and a pair of Peters. All other first initials are unique except for C, a Colin and a Christopher.

P - 4
C - 2
W - 1
J - 1
T - 1
S - 1
D - 1
M - 1

There is no standout among the last initials, with a three-way tie of T, B and M having two each - Troughton and Tennant, Baker and Baker, McCoy and McGann.

T - 2
B - 2
M - 2
H - 1
P - 1
D - 1
E - 1
S - 1
C - 1

Only three Doctors, however, have first and last initials that are both unique: WH, JP and MS.

And thus the pointless thread about initials. Thank you.
CoalHillJanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 15-10-2013, 20:31
Lii
Forum Member

I've changed my mind, we do need a trailer to talk about. As soon as possible.
Lii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 20:32
CoalHillJanitor
Forum Member

Old 15-10-2013, 20:40
SilenceWillFall
Forum Member

Cool, now do the companions' initials
SilenceWillFall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 20:43
Grisonaut
Forum Member

MeddlingMonkey thinks that forum members tweeting Paul McGann about his love of cress might make him think Whovians are mental.

Cress, I put it you, is the least of our problems
Grisonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 21:05
Lii
Forum Member

MeddlingMonkey thinks that forum members tweeting Paul McGann about his love of cress might make him think Whovians are mental.

Cress, I put it you, is the least of our problems
This on the other hand interests me. Please keep us informed.

BTW, I personally don't like cress, but I try not to judge those that do.
Lii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 21:12
adams66
Forum Member

Amongst the twelve Doctors, no two actors have the same pair of initials.

The most popular first initial is P, with a Patrick, a Paul and a pair of Peters. All other first initials are unique except for C, a Colin and a Christopher.

P - 4
C - 2
W - 1
J - 1
T - 1
S - 1
D - 1
M - 1

There is no standout among the last initials, with a three-way tie of T, B and M having two each - Troughton and Tennant, Baker and Baker, McCoy and McGann.

T - 2
B - 2
M - 2
H - 1
P - 1
D - 1
E - 1
S - 1
C - 1

Only three Doctors, however, have first and last initials that are both unique: WH, JP and MS.

And thus the pointless thread about initials. Thank you.
I actually found this quite interesting. I REALLY need to get out more... And so do you CHJ!!
adams66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 21:36
CoalHillJanitor
Forum Member

I actually found this quite interesting. I REALLY need to get out more... And so do you CHJ!!
Well, if you liked that I can do an encore:

It's also only three Doctors who have both non-unique initials: PT, CB and PM.

And I shall attempt to get out more, yes. Good advice.
Old 15-10-2013, 22:16
adams66
Forum Member

Well, if you liked that I can do an encore:

It's also only three Doctors who have both non-unique initials: PT, CB and PM.

And I shall attempt to get out more, yes. Good advice.
And that's why I love Doctor Who fans!!
adams66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 22:43
TEDR
Forum Member

Any idea how the alphabetical distance between initials correlates with production staff turnover? Or with duration of stay? I can't help noticing that CB and CE have letters that are very close together. Conversely T and B are really quite far away.
TEDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 23:32
Corwin
Forum Member

Not counting John Hurt?

It would leave Matt as the only unique one.
Corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 23:57
solarpenguin
Forum Member

Not counting John Hurt?

It would leave Matt as the only unique one.
Well, if you're going to include John Hurt, you really ought to include Michael Jayston too. And that means Matt doesn't have totally unique initials.
solarpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 01:04
CoalHillJanitor
Forum Member

One reason I started this thread was to see how long it would take for arguments to start, thus proving that our sort will indeed argue about well and truly pointless things.

I'll leave you all to it.

Spoiler
Old 16-10-2013, 01:09
Grisonaut
Forum Member

CHJ, can you tell me what the Whoonie Inn and the Part Ian thing is about?

I've asked before but it got washed away in the general hubbub.

Cheers.
Grisonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 01:21
CoalHillJanitor
Forum Member

CHJ, can you tell me what the Whoonie Inn and the Part Ian thing is about?

I've asked before but it got washed away in the general hubbub.

Cheers.
Oh, sure. In January 2009 a FM called Tigger-Roo started a thread called 'New Doctor Who Fan', which she was at the time. An ever-growing group gathered round her to enjoy experiencing the show through her eyes as she watched through all of New Who and then some of Old Who. The thread became a 'happy place' where people could chat about Doctor Who without complaining and negativity. We called ourselves the Whoonies. The Whoonie Inn was eventually founded by Digital Sid as a place where the lot of us (always a non-exclusive group, btw) could enjoy general chat and insanity in a pub-like atmosphere.

At some point the mods started splitting threads, so the original thread became New Doctor Who Fan Part Two, Part Three and so on. We kept pestering the mods to name the new parts after the Doctors, so finally the fourth part was officially named Part Tom Baker. After we ran out of Doctors with Part Smith, the mods started naming them Part Susan, Part Barbara and now Part Ian. And at some point it changed from 'New Doctor Who Fan' to 'Doctor Who Fans'. Only question is, what will come next, Capaldi or Vicki?

Anyway, hope that explains the history of the threads. Anyone is welcome in either of them as long as they leave the negative vibes outside.
Old 16-10-2013, 02:58
tastytangerine
Forum Member

WH PT JP TB PD CB SM PM CE DT MS PC
When looking at the initials from this perspective, as I tried it lengthways but on my phone I cant extrapolate anything coz I couldnt see them all at once, I noticed stuff.

firstly, I knew all the Doctors in the correct order. Secondly, it really stood out that some of the actors had initials that stood out as other things like diseases,law terms and even truckers radio. I was astonished. PT stands for Physical Training and was what PE (Physical Education) turned into at my school, around the same time RE (Religious Education) turned into RS ( Religious Studies). JP stands out as Justice of the Peace. TB is Tuberculosis and PD are the first two initials of PD James the writer. CB is Citizens Band (radio). SM is Steven Moffat as the & symbil is missing from between the S and M... Oh bugger, I said it...PM is Post Meridian. CE is the kitemark thing written on everything not made in China.DT is Dillerium Tremons, which looks like Ive spelt incorrectly coz I cant be botheeed looking it up.MS is of course Multiple Sclerosis and PC is Politically Correct or Personal Computer. This absolutely amazed me and made me think that all this has been preordained by a higher farce... I mean force. Pity William Hartnell's initials WH Spoil it... wait... WH Smith... omfg... Smith! It all makes sense. I must now depart to write down my findings for my thesis.
tastytangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 04:18
TEDR
Forum Member

Right then.

There is a correlation between alphabetical distance and number of episodes filmed.

(note to numerologists: it's a coincidence in a very small amount of data. Or maybe I've been indoctrinated by the fiendish cult of 'scientists'?)
TEDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 05:16
CoalHillJanitor
Forum Member

Right then.

There is a correlation between alphabetical distance and number of episodes filmed.

(note to numerologists: it's a coincidence in a very small amount of data. Or maybe I've been indoctrinated by the fiendish cult of 'scientists'?)
Where would Doctor Who be without pseudoscience? Well done.
Old 16-10-2013, 05:44
IWasBored
Forum Member

My favourite letters of the alphabet are V and Z. I find them both sexy. My favourite vowel is A
IWasBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 11:14
TRT1968
Forum Member

Well apart from Ecclescake, the Doctor is clearly your consonant companion.
TRT1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 12:28
Webslark
Forum Member

Well, if you're going to include John Hurt, you really ought to include Michael Jayston too. And that means Matt doesn't have totally unique initials.
And probably Toby Jones as well.

And does the fact that both the "aspects" of the Doctor have surnames starting with J while no actual Doctors do mean anything?

What about Richard Hurndall? If he gets included, that means only JP has totally unique initials.
Webslark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 12:39
Webslark
Forum Member

And probably Toby Jones as well.

And does the fact that both the "aspects" of the Doctor have surnames starting with J while no actual Doctors do mean anything?

What about Richard Hurndall? If he gets included, that means only JP has totally unique initials.
Or rather none of them do - forgot the J of John Hurt
Webslark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 15:31
Wiwik_Anggraini
Forum Member

I'm debating which thread I find most interesting, the cress one or this one. I must say all the initials make me a little dizzy. I wonder if cress is good for that.
Wiwik_Anggraini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 15:53
chuffnobbler
Forum Member

Should Edmund Warwick also be included?
chuffnobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 16:29
Granny McSmith
Forum Member

My favourite letters of the alphabet are V and Z. I find them both sexy. My favourite vowel is A
I've always liked the mysterious, sexy quality of X. And my favourite vowel is O.

Spoiler
Which is very intriguing, not to mention downright spooky.
Granny McSmith is offline   Reply With Quote