DS Forums

The Lady Vanishes

Old 18-10-2013, 23:52
Jo March
Forum Member

Love this film!

On BBC 2 tomorrow morning at 8-35 am.

Plot Summary

Classic thriller starring Margaret Lockwood and Michael Redgrave. One moment Miss Froy was sitting there, on the London-bound train from the Tyrol. The next she had vanished. Some passengers claimed she was never there, but Iris Henderson is convinced that she saw her. Was it her imagination?

'Charters and Caldicott' near enough steal it from under the noses of the lead actors.

Highly recommended.

http://www.radiotimes.com/film/hs8xr/the-lady-vanishes
Jo March is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 19-10-2013, 11:00
DRAGON LANCE
Forum Member

Yes it is a wonderful slab of classic Hitchcock isn't it? Some bits of it are fabulously bonkers and there's a few plot holes but its a great ride. As it was shot prior to WW2 you can see lots of messages in it about English people who think they are above getting evolved and doing nothing as bad things are happening in this European matter.
DRAGON LANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 11:51
stud u like
Forum Member

One of my favourites.
stud u like is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 12:27
balthasar
Forum Member

Ah, Charters and Caldicott..
balthasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 14:32
Jo March
Forum Member

Yes it is a wonderful slab of classic Hitchcock isn't it? Some bits of it are fabulously bonkers and there's a few plot holes but its a great ride. As it was shot prior to WW2 you can see lots of messages in it about English people who think they are above getting evolved and doing nothing as bad things are happening in this European matter.

It is, much like his Strangers On A Train ....another one I can watch over and over again.
Old 19-10-2013, 14:40
nancy1975
Forum Member

Lockwood and Redgrave are genuinely sexy together as well...power of suggestion in those days. Very funny as well.
nancy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 22:19
stripedcat
Forum Member

It's one of Hitchcock's best films(I'd put it just behind Psycho) and also one of my favourite films. Lockwood and Redgrave are fantastic as the bickering couple, then there is the cricket loving Englishmen and the "Lady". The use of the train setting adds to the suspense. Interesting "MacGuffin" as well. Absolutely blows all the other adaptations of it to pieces.
stripedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 00:25
rfonzo
Forum Member

It is, much like his Strangers On A Train ....another one I can watch over and over again.
This is a Hitchcock film that I have never seen. I must try to watch it. If it is anything like Strangers on a Train then it will be very enjoyable.
rfonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 09:43
bugloss
Forum Member

"Charters and Caldicott", as another pair of English types are in the funny story in the great horror film "Dead of Night" (the one with the ventriloquist dummy )
bugloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 10:01
molliepops
Forum Member

Loved this it's been years since I saw it last time, the remakes never quite lived up to the classic though.
molliepops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 00:10
spiney2
Forum Member

michael redgrave is also a musician. and therefore could be carrying the actual message with miss froy a decoy .......TOO damn clever ......

..... anyone else think C & C are supposed to be gay ?
spiney2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 09:40
Takae
Forum Member

michael redgrave is also a musician. and therefore could be carrying the actual message with miss froy a decoy .......TOO damn clever ......

You can interpret it however you like. There is no wrong answer.

I think C & C happen to be close friends, who are into cricket and the English traditions as a bid to escape the psychological effects of the Great War. But, I'm happy with others' theories that they're a gay couple. I don't see why not.
Takae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 12:35
Jo March
Forum Member

Never crossed my mind.
Old 21-10-2013, 21:03
Ancient IDTV
Forum Member

My second favourite Hitchcock movie (after 'Psycho'). Great entertainment.
Ancient IDTV is offline   Reply With Quote