Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Class A headphone amp - novel design

Old 19-10-2013, 21:15
Phil Dodd
Forum Member

Anyone who dabbles in constructing gadgets might like to look at a design just published on the "Instructables" website. It is for a class A stereo headphone amp, using a double triode valve feeding FETs !

He claims that it gives exceptional audio quality, although is not very portable thanks to a hefty lead-acid battery ! But even the valve works from 12 volts !

I must admit, the best amp that I ever built quality-wise was a class-A headphone amp, using a single VN67AF V-FET per channel. Great sound, especially the bass. It even used to drive a pair of Leak sandwich speakers, again with reasonable bass. It did run quite hot, but FETs are resiliant to thermal runaway. The battery ran hot too !

So this guy's along the right lines to have a hefty battery linked up.

Anyway, if headphone amps are your thing, the project is at :

http://www.instructables.com/id/Clas...Headphone-Amp/

Happy listening ! Phil
Phil Dodd is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 19-10-2013, 21:22
jjne
Forum Member

This forum's resident expert will be with us shortly to rubbish the idea of using triodes in modern electronics, I'm sure.
jjne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 22:49
Orbitalzone
Forum Member

This forum's resident expert will be with us shortly to rubbish the idea of using triodes in modern electronics, I'm sure.
gosh, controversial!
Orbitalzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 11:47
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

Notice there's no specifications included - best not to measure the distortion

Still at least he's honest about his reasoning for doing, they glow
Nigel Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 12:56
chrisjr
Forum Member

Not so sure I'd wire the volume control pot up as shown in that circuit diagram either. The way it's shown with the volume at zero you'll be shorting the input source to ground! More conventional to wire the input source to the top of the pot and feed the rest of the circuit from the wiper.
chrisjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 13:20
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

Not so sure I'd wire the volume control pot up as shown in that circuit diagram either. The way it's shown with the volume at zero you'll be shorting the input source to ground! More conventional to wire the input source to the top of the pot and feed the rest of the circuit from the wiper.
Yes, I've always absolutely hated that wrong way of wiring a volume control - and can't ever see any reason for doing it?.
Nigel Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 13:46
chrisjr
Forum Member

Yes, I've always absolutely hated that wrong way of wiring a volume control - and can't ever see any reason for doing it?.
Can't say I've seen any kit wired that way. I've certainly never used that method in anything I've designed or built over the last 30 years or so.

And like you can't see any compelling reason to do it that way either.
chrisjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 17:03
spiney2
Forum Member

with current energy prices, I dont see how anyone can afford to run a triode in class A ......... suggest not heating the cathode .......
spiney2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 17:35
stvn758
Forum Member

I have just bought a Little Dot MKIII Valve Amp, I find the yellow glow of it's four triodes quite pleasing. I also have a pair of Grado headphones, sound great but horrible to wear.
stvn758 is online now   Reply With Quote