Options

Who chooses the songs?

Sorry, fairly new to the board so this may have been discussed a million times before but who chooses the songs? I only ask because Fiona's rumba song was just such a strange choice and did her no favours at all.

Comments

• Options
    DeltaBluesDeltaBlues Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who chooses the songs?

A tone-deaf hamster with no ears who hates dance.
  • Options
    La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jgivvy wrote: »
    Sorry, fairly new to the board so this may have been discussed a million times before but who chooses the songs? I only ask because Fiona's rumba song was just such a strange choice and did her no favours at all.

Unless things have changed, it used to be that the Pros submit a list of song choices for each dance, and then the Producers either agree or change some. So basically a combination of the Pros/Producers and possibly Dave Arch, as he will have to do all the arrangements.
  • Options
    cwickhamcwickham Posts: 10,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a question to the Strictly producers in the Radio Times about this last year, and they said the couple are given three choices for each dance and pick their favourite from those options.
  • Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Helen Keller.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cwickham wrote: »
    There was a question to the Strictly producers in the Radio Times about this last year, and they said the couple are given three choices for each dance and pick their favourite from those options.

Don't you mean "they choose the one they dislike the least?"
  • Options
    DeltaBluesDeltaBlues Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jeez, what were Anton and Fiona's other two choices for their rumba? :eek: "Firestarter" and "Anarchy in the UK"?
  • Options
    HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The music choices have been baffling all this series, and tonight was the worst so far I think. At least I recognised 'Making your Mind Up' and the Spice Girls song, woeful choices as they were. The Shakira song was ok. But most of them were unfamiliar or just plain dull. Do the couples really choose them?
  • Options
    isledanceisledance Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do they decide when they are exhausted after a hard days practice and when their oxygen levels are low! Or do they stick a pin in the list.........!:D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know if that is entirely true because unless the other two choices were absolute nightmares, Pasha has commented that he did not like having to do a paso doble to Hungry Like A Wolf last year. He's made it sound like it wasn't his choice.
  • Options
    winter99winter99 Posts: 16,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They put them into a hat and pick them out.
  • Options
    nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DeltaBlues wrote: »

I'm sure Anton would go along with this after having to choreograph a rumbamba tonight.
  • Options
    shakeyershammyshakeyershammy Posts: 18,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeez, what were Anton and Fiona's other two choices for their rumba? :eek: "Firestarter" and "Anarchy in the UK"?

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The producer chooses the songs. They'll say the pros have an input, but it's the BBC remember.
    They are constantly chasing a younger audience, they want to take viewers from X-Factor.
    That age group, aren't going to appreciate, Rogers and Hammerstein / & Hart, Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, George Gershwin, Hoagy Carmichael, Frank Loesser, Lerner & Loewe, etc., or even Leonard Bernstein or Burt Bacharach.
    It's all about ratings and it's ruining Strictly for some.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I liked the use of Take it to the Limit by The Eagles for Dave and Karen's waltz. I love that song anyway, and it seemed to fit really well with the dance.
  • Options
    missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    The production team chose the songs - the pros have very little input these days
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the use of Take it to the Limit by The Eagles for Dave and Karen's waltz. I love that song anyway, and it seemed to fit really well with the dance.

Yes, the Eagles are what we used to call MOR artists, (Middle Of the Road).
    Meaning that they would appeal to a wide age group, as their songs weren't too extreme. I've a couple of their albums, including "Hotel California."

Mind you, I think even this'd make a good Paso.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q_CKzWqIHQ
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,857
    Forum Member
    HarkAtHer wrote: »
    The music choices have been baffling all this series, and tonight was the worst so far I think. At least I recognised 'Making your Mind Up' and the Spice Girls song, woeful choices as they were. The Shakira song was ok. But most of them were unfamiliar or just plain dull. Do the couples really choose them?

TBH I wouldn't mind them being unfamiliar and even dull if they fitted the requirements of the dances. Who thought MC Hammer would be good for a Cha or Spice Girls for Salsa? I have a particular issue with the salsa choices every year. There are so many wonderful salsa tracks (millions probably) and we end up with some Anglo/American pop that is way too slow/ or otherwise inappropriate for the dance.
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

• Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,857
    Forum Member

Schhh Please don't give them ideas.:D
  • Options
    Demi_pointesDemi_pointes Posts: 122
    Forum Member

Just picturing a rumba on "Firestarter" :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Thank you! It kind of makes sense if the producers have more input. It was such a strange choice especially as Anton seems to live in the 1940s most of the time. :)
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Being a ballroom dancer of the old school, it is the choice of music and the fact that it is accompanied by wailing, continually puts me off SCD each year but definitely, this year is the worst series so far.
    We have now, weekly, silly props all the time with sometimes very little in-hold dances and even old Len who has sold himself to 'MONEY' commented on that fact last night where some couple seemed to be dancing together, in hold for about 10 seconds!
    The music chosen for the majority of the dances is so out of character that it completely detracts from the dancing and Rachel's QS outfit was absurd - but she can't dance anyway, so ultimately won't matter (another Kate Garraway).
  • Options
    KnowAll27KnowAll27 Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember back in series 5 Matthew or Alesha saying in an interview that when the pros and celebs were paired they discussed things like preferred songs etc., and they then submitted a list of preferred songs to the producers - and I think Alesha in particular was really keen for Crazy In Love. The producers then have to see what they could/couldn't get the rights to use, what would be possible for the band, etc. - I remember electro-pop like Lady Gaga was ruled out one series because the band didn't have the right instruments/equipment.

When the dance order is allocated the couples are then given a list of songs to choose from, which may or may not have included their preferred choice once the rights issues etc. had been sorted (also if another couple had requested the same song there's probably a draw to decide who gets first pick). They then choose their music, and Dave Arch cuts it down to the arrangement to be used, which can be adjusted if necessary.

For theme weeks it's probably a completely different story - you probably get told what you're dancing to and you make the best of it! (A cha cha cha to Ghostbusters? Really?)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KnowAll27 wrote: »
    I remember back in series 5 Matthew or Alesha saying in an interview that when the pros and celebs were paired they discussed things like preferred songs etc., and they then submitted a list of preferred songs to the producers - and I think Alesha in particular was really keen for Crazy In Love. The producers then have to see what they could/couldn't get the rights to use, what would be possible for the band, etc. - I remember electro-pop like Lady Gaga was ruled out one series because the band didn't have the right instruments/equipment.

When the dance order is allocated the couples are then given a list of songs to choose from, which may or may not have included their preferred choice once the rights issues etc. had been sorted (also if another couple had requested the same song there's probably a draw to decide who gets first pick). They then choose their music, and Dave Arch cuts it down to the arrangement to be used, which can be adjusted if necessary.

For theme weeks it's probably a completely different story - you probably get told what you're dancing to and you make the best of it! (A cha cha cha to Ghostbusters? Really?)
    Hmm..

Looking it at the perspective from the BBC, they should try to achieve a balance which will include tunes that appeal to the widest audience.
    That seems like common sense.

But in reality I don't think that is what's happening.
    Progressively over the years, the tunes have included fewer of the well loved ballroom standards of any era.

Personally, I believe they are constantly trying to attract younger viewers away from X-Factor. They ain't gonna do that with Cole Porter or Rogers and Hammerstein.
    Dave Arch is on record saying that for particular tunes, he is allowed to augment the band with other instrumentalists, strings or whatever, etc.. so that shouldn't be a problem.

I really don't think there would be any problem getting a licence to play any tune.
    The owners of the copyright, that's the writers of the music and lyrics, would get royalties from any subsequent sales of records by any artist who had recorded that song.
    With ten million viewers, it's a great showcase for them.
    "Even if they're dead" some publishing company will own the rights.
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The pros are allowed to request a particular song if they want, though. I remember that Natalie Lowe said she had asked if they could use King of the Jungle for her QS with Scott Maslen after she heard him whistling or singing it in rehearsals one day and thought it would be a great song to use. The producers may not agree to the request, but the pros can ask.