Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Is it still worth buying a PS3 for occasional gamer?

Old 20-10-2013, 13:20
Kargo
Forum Member

Hi Guys,

I haven't played any console since PS2 days but really want to experience GTA V after the praise its been getting from friends and family.

I'm not an extreme gamer, but I want to buy a console mainly to play GTA V on. The question is, is it worth me waiting for the PS4 to be released or would you say a PS3 is adequate enough for me? Is the PS3 still going to be supported when the PS4 comes along?
Kargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 20-10-2013, 13:41
MartinImber
Forum Member

Yes..........
MartinImber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 13:42
gds1972
Forum Member

I think it would still be worth you getting a PS3 the game prices will probably drop a bit once the PS4 comes out there will be a huge catalogue of games available plus the hardware is cheaper. If your not in any rush I would wait until after Christmas as I think the PS3 price will drop even more early in the new year.
gds1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 13:45
Hotbird
Forum Member

As an occasional gamers the PS3 is probably a better purchase than a PS4 for the next few years.
Hotbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 16:53
-Batman-
Forum Member

well if your after playing GTA V its not on the PS4 and pretty sure its not even announced if it will be.

you can pick up PS3 now a good price and you have hundreds of games to pick from.
-Batman- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 18:00
NorfolkBoy1
Forum Member

I would heartily recommend the OP getting a ps3, You've got some amazing games to catch up on from the last 7 years once you're done with gtav!
NorfolkBoy1 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 18:08
Chelsea Saint
Forum Member

For the casual gamer the current gen is ideal. Very competitively priced, vast library and still an exceptionally capable system. It also benefits from a range of media streaming services and throws Blu-ray into the mix.
Chelsea Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 18:42
Kal_El
Forum Member

I recently bought a PS3 in about June/July time. Have to recommend it. Because the new stuff is about to come out, the PS3 library is pretty cheap and extremely accomplished. I've now got a collection of nearly 20 games including stuff like Ni no Kuni, GTA, Street fighter IV series, Batman and others all very cheap but stunning.

For GTA V alone it's worth it, but there's even more classy stuff to be had!
Kal_El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 19:04
Kargo
Forum Member

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply, really appreciate the advice.

It seems PS3 is a pretty good investment then. I hadn't realised until I read these replies that the PS4 will not read PS3 discs. Again a big thank you for this information as I was half tempted to wait and buy a PS4 console - I would have been extremely annoyed and disappointed to find that I couldn't play GTA V on it.

For GTA V alone it's worth it, but there's even more classy stuff to be had!
I'm really interested to hear more about other titles, is there some that you could possibly recommend? I'll only be playing on a 32" Samsung but its full HD 1080p so I'd like to play some games with rich details.
Old 20-10-2013, 19:14
Kal_El
Forum Member

It seems PS3 is a pretty good investment then. I hadn't realised until I read these replies that the PS4 will not read PS3 discs. Again a big thank you for this information as I was half tempted to wait and buy a PS4 console - I would have been extremely annoyed and disappointed to find that I couldn't play GTA V on it.

I'm really interested to hear more about other titles, is there some that you could possibly recommend? I'll only be playing on a 32" Samsung but its full HD 1080p so I'd like to play some games with rich details.
Depends what sort of games interest you really. I only have a 32" Samsung too. It's only 720p but PS3 looks awesome.

I'm a bit of an old school gamer so I've sought out Sega games like Virtua Fighter and Sonic. However Ni no Kuni is fantastic. I'm typically crap at RPGs so this has been amazing for me.
Kal_El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 19:17
stud u like
Forum Member

The PS3 isn't just about games. I use it for watching films and television programmes. Youtube is a favourite.
stud u like is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 19:25
gillyallan
Forum Member

Not limited to ps3 but yeah YouTube is brill paired with your phone/tablet for searches and queuing
gillyallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 20:07
MartinImber
Forum Member

Well with PS3 you can always pick up the best games.

Uncharted trilogy and The Last Of Us
Old 20-10-2013, 20:50
jokerz
Forum Member

Hi Guys,

I haven't played any console since PS2 days but really want to experience GTA V after the praise its been getting from friends and family.

I'm not an extreme gamer, but I want to buy a console mainly to play GTA V on. The question is, is it worth me waiting for the PS4 to be released or would you say a PS3 is adequate enough for me? Is the PS3 still going to be supported when the PS4 comes along?
Get the GTAV bundle and a Playstation Plus membership. GTAV will keep you going for a while and you can download the PSN Plus monthly games at the same time.
jokerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 08:45
NorfolkBoy1
Forum Member

No problem at all, here's some suggestions based on the fact that you're tempted by GTAV.

Infamous 1 & 2
Uncharted 1, 2 & 3
The Last Of Us
JOURNEY!!!!!!!

The final of that group I can't emphasise enough, it's not exactly high on action, and it will only take a couple of hours for your first play-through but it's one of the greatest experiences of the current gaming generation and will look FANTASTIC on your TV.
NorfolkBoy1 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 08:56
KillerCloud
Forum Member

There are so many amazing games that makes the PS3 a worthwhile purchase especially if you're just a casual gamer. As well as the games already mentioned you need to try out
Skyrim
Fallout 3
Farcry 3
Call of Duty 4 (the best one in my opinion, the single player is really good too)
There are lots of more games available and many of the older ones are cheap too so yeah get a PS3.
KillerCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 17:48
MartinImber
Forum Member

Farcry 3 is currently on PS+ as a freebie
Old 21-10-2013, 18:05
Red Arrow
Forum Member

PS3, GTA and a 1 year PS+ sub to get all the free games each month and your sorted!
Red Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 18:51
FusionFury
Forum Member

GTA and Last of Us on the PS3 will keep you going for a month or two.

I have a PS3 with backwards compatibility so have the PS2 game library too!
FusionFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 00:35
Kargo
Forum Member

Just coming back to this thread to ask a question about the 'Super Slim 12 GB version of the PS3. Does this have any limitations or lack any features that the 500GB model does?

I'm hoping to buy this week but unsure which to go for.

Thanks
Old 16-12-2013, 08:09
Katia_Storm
Forum Member

There's a good deal going at the moment. The 500gb slim with 'The Last of Us, Need for Speed, Res Evil 6 for 199 in Game. I think it's 189 on Amazon. I bought it this week from Game as I wanted to play The last of us. I am really enjoying it. You also get a free month of PS+ which has some games you can play for free on.

Super bargain considering last week I was looking at a pre-owned console for 150 with just one game!

There's some good games in the catalogue too. We have always been an Xbox house but I am liking it well enough and I'm happy with it. Still have my xbox tho. xx
Katia_Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 13:02
TommyNooka
Forum Member

I'm another who has recently bought the PS3 for the exclusives after running out of stuff to play on my 360 after 8 years. Been really impressed with PS plus and will definitely be subscribing once my trial has expired. Already got Uncharted 3(although this will need to wait until I've played 1&2), LBP Karting and Dragons Dogma downloaded for the Xmas holidays. As well as GT6 and The Last of Us which I got bundled with the console. Got loads of games on the 'to play' list as well Resistance trilogy, Heavy Rain/Beyond two souls, killzone trilogy, God of war Trilogy etc........think I'm going to have a good time.
TommyNooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 21:39
Katia_Storm
Forum Member

Oh yeah, it's bundled with Gran Turismo, not need for speed. Haven;t really looked at that one. I just wanted 'The Last of Us'. I activated the ps+ trial today too. Not sure what I think about that yet.
Katia_Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 18:59
Kargo
Forum Member

Finally bought one, being delivered tomorrow

Thanks everyone for your help, I bought this bundle on Amazon as well as a copy of GTA V for 30.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlaySta...=playstation+3
Old 22-12-2013, 20:30
gds1972
Forum Member

Finally bought one, being delivered tomorrow

Thanks everyone for your help, I bought this bundle on Amazon as well as a copy of GTA V for 30.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlaySta...=playstation+3
I'm sure you'll really enjoy your PS3.

You should also get a PSN+ subscription as it's great value for money and gives you new games each month whilst your a member.

If you keep an eye on the PS store they sometimes reduce it to 30.00 at this time of year.
gds1972 is offline   Reply With Quote