Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Two Bug DAB radios suddenly don't work

Old 22-10-2013, 18:36
murmansk69
Forum Member

I've got a couple of Pure The Bug DAB radios, one is the original and one the Bug Too.

They have both stopped working at the same time!

I've tried a retune and they can't seem to find any stations or, if they do, the sound quality is terrible. They basically don't work any more.

Given that it's happened to both of them I thought it was something to do with the weather or a transmitter fault but I can find no record of a transmitter problem and the weather has changed over 4 days. My other DAB radios work just fine.

I've not noticed anyone erecting a Faraday cage around the rooms in which these two Bugs live, so I am totally baffled why this has happened and I wonder if anyone has any ideas?

I'm in Leeds by the way.
murmansk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 22-10-2013, 18:54
grahamlthompson
Forum Member

If you take them somewhere else do they still work ?. You may have a local interference source.
grahamlthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 17:28
witham1
Forum Member

I have a Pure Bug Too and I use it every day.
I think you have a reception problem.
I found that to get the best reception in my area I use a dipole in the loft.
The Bug has an "F" connector so it makes it easy to connect an external aerial.
witham1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 19:53
scruffpot
Forum Member

Mine went wrong and tried all the resets etc... what firmware have you got as the pure site has an old update..
Unfort mine resets itself everytime you turn it on
scruffpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 23:54
Sue_C
Forum Member

I'm having trouble with my Bug as well. It loses all the stations overnight and wakes me to a beeping alarm in the morning instead of a radio station. It then proceeds to do a retune and switches itself to Absolute Radio. Very annoying. I've done countless resets, doesn't do any good. Once every few days it works properly and the radio comes on to the right station.
Sue_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 00:36
scruffpot
Forum Member

I'm having trouble with my Bug as well. It loses all the stations overnight and wakes me to a beeping alarm in the morning instead of a radio station. It then proceeds to do a retune and switches itself to Absolute Radio. Very annoying. I've done countless resets, doesn't do any good. Once every few days it works properly and the radio comes on to the right station.
me thunks common theme,,, someone did pm me with have a try atthis....ill findit and post it below
Old 27-10-2013, 00:40
scruffpot
Forum Member

reset the device - click 'rest of world' instead of 'UK' after reset. it autotunes and eventually finds the same stations it finds when set to UK. then change region back to UK via menu>DAB settings.
Turn it off and back on again and it now retains presets and returns to the station it was on etc.

im going to take mine apart ina few days to see if there is an internal battery somewhere that needsrepalcing
Old 28-10-2013, 21:29
murmansk69
Forum Member

I'm inclined to think now that it must be a problem of reduced signal as my other DAB radios that are not Bugs, whilst working better, are "burbling" in a way which I associate with poor signal.

This is weird as I live in the city suburbs in an area of good signal. I thought it might be weather conditions but not for ten days. Maybe sunspots!?
murmansk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 14:09
56up
Forum Member

I have a Pure Evoke 3, about 7 years old now, but had problems with it in the first 2 years. Pure repaired it each time and when it failed completely after 2 years, they replaced it.

It works perfectly now and has done for 5 years. Contact Pure, not many companies offer a service as good as theirs.

As a by-the-by, it was a new firmware update that caused it to fail. The new radio had a previous firmware version installed. I have left it alone since.
56up is offline   Reply With Quote