Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Ofcom allows customers to cancel contracts if prices rise

Old 23-10-2013, 11:17
Everything Goes
Forum Member

Ofcom will allow customers to cancel contracts if prices rise. Don't think the networks will be happy mind!

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24636682

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/con...ixed-contracts

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/27...ans_fixed.aspx
Everything Goes is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 23-10-2013, 11:40
FlyinBrick
Forum Member

Great news, and about time tbh.
FlyinBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 12:14
Resonance
Forum Member

Brilliant news. Hopefully it will put the networks off mid term rises altogether.
Resonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 12:45
enapace
Forum Member

Unfortunately it only applies to contracts that are made after it comes into action in three months time.
enapace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 12:48
ACU
Forum Member

Ofcom havent gone far enough. It only applies to new contracts, and comes into force in 3 months time. So those already in a contract, its tough. You have to swallow any price rise. Why couldnt this apply to people already in a contract?
ACU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 12:50
enapace
Forum Member

Ofcom havent gone far enough. It only applies to new contracts, and comes into force in 3 months time. So those already in a contract, its tough. You have to swallow any price rise. Why couldnt this apply to people already in a contract?
Probably so the networks don't make to much of a fuss they already making a fuss about yearly spectrum renewals going up.

I agree it's not perfect but it certainly is a good thing as it means price hikes have at most 27 months more. Less for a lot of people.

Next thing they need do and think it should of been done before is it if someone loses signal at house or work suddenly when they were fine before. They should be allowed leave contract I know some networks allow but should be made a law.
enapace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 15:24
carguy143
Forum Member

I wonder if the rules will give operators the power to request a return of the handset as part of the cancellation of the contract.
carguy143 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 15:36
ACU
Forum Member

I wonder if the rules will give operators the power to request a return of the handset as part of the cancellation of the contract.
I think what you will find, is the operator will let the customer know of the increase in the monthly line rental. Those that just accept it will pay the new higher line rental. Those that complain will remain on their current monthly line rental.

I can not see the operators letting the customer know, they can leave if they want to, because of the increase in the line rental. They will leave it upto the customer to figure that out.
ACU is offline   Reply With Quote