Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Whch real life story would you like to see

Old 23-10-2013, 20:49
woofwoof77
Forum Member

..be made into a film? (that hasnt already been made?

I watched a documentary the other day about the Space Shuttle challenger that exploded in 1986, was interesting and I thought maybe would make a good film ...well they did it with Apollo 13 =/

Maybe the Ariel castro case, the kidnap and discovery of the 3girls in Cleveland would make a good film.

I know its not seen as good to make these sorts of things into films but I like it anyway, IF the film is good.
woofwoof77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 23-10-2013, 21:14
Takae
Forum Member

So many choices. My top five picks:

John Bellingham
It'd be great to do one about the life and circumstances of John Bellingham, who was responsible for the assassination of British prime minister Sir Spencer Perceval. It could include a weird (and imo, funny) part about their alleged descendants (Henry Bellingham and Roger Perceval) facing each other in a local election in 1997. Perceval won by citing the 1812 assassination, which turned the local public against Henry Bellingham. So British.

Martin Luther King Jr.
I can't believe there is still no film about his life, activities and/or assassination. He usually appears as a minor character in civil-rights films. Weird. Even odder that there are already three films about Malcolm X.

The Peterloo Massacre of Manchester
The budget would be painful, but could work as a mini series or something.

Michael Malloy
I was both appalled and amused when I heard about this Irish American immigrant's story.

William Cuffay
A London leader and organiser of the Chartist movement. Actually, I'd be fine with a film about the Chartist movement itself if it'd happen.
Takae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 17:27
revolver44
Forum Member

The Whaleship Essex
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essex_%28whaleship%29
Now that would make an interesting, if harrowing film.

John Franklin's Northwest Passage Expedition
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F...age_expedition
Again, a fascinating story crying out for a movie.

I best stop there as I've realised all my movies would be historical tragedies & disasters
revolver44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 19:31
ShaunIOW
Forum Member

The betrayal and trial of the Knights Templar's by the French king and pope.

The life of Admiral Lord Nelson.

The events leading up to WW1.
ShaunIOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 19:49
BeatsDuJour
Forum Member

I'd like to see a good film made about the Manson Family murders. There is the upcoming "Manson Girls" but I'm not sure how great that will be. A lot of the other films that have been made over the years have been cheap and inaccurate. I'd love something in the style of the 2007 Zodiac film. I'd also like to see a film made about the music movement in Laurel Canyon in the 1960s/1970s. I guess they could incorporate some of that into a Charles Manson film since he and his followers hung around in the canyon with singers like Neil Young and Cass Elliot.
BeatsDuJour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 20:55
CLL Dodge
Forum Member

Jimmy Savile.
CLL Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 21:58
rfonzo
Forum Member

Sir Alex Ferguson. The era from when he first took charge of Manchester United in 1986 to when the team won it's first title in 1992-1993. It would make for the most interesting era in relation to how it would have portrayed the struggle he had in changing the culture of the club. When he first came, he felt the club was unprofessional and was concerned about the 'drinking culture' with some of the players. Then of course, he was not instantly successful so some of the fans were calling for him to leave.
rfonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 21:59
rfonzo
Forum Member

I would prefer to see a perspective of how the BBC may have covered it up rather than on the man himself.
rfonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 22:52
Pea1
Forum Member

Sir Alex Ferguson. The era from when he first took charge of Manchester United in 1986 to when the team won it's first title in 1992-1993. It would make for the most interesting era in relation to how it would have portrayed the struggle he had in changing the culture of the club. When he first came, he felt the club was unprofessional and was concerned about the 'drinking culture' with some of the players. Then of course, he was not instantly successful so some of the fans were calling for him to leave.
Definitely Sir Alex. Also Steve Jobs and Richard Branson.
Pea1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 23:05
Inky Binky
Forum Member

I would like to see someone make a biographical film about H.P. Lovecraft.

Martin Luther King Jr.
I can't believe there is still no film about his life, activities and/or assassination. He usually appears as a minor character in civil-rights films. Weird. Even odder that there are already three films about Malcolm X.
There was a 3-part biographical TV miniseries in 1978 called KING. It starred Paul Winfield as the civil rights leader and Cicely Tyson as his wife. LINK

Oliver Stone has been wanting to do a film about him but I have no idea when that will happen.
Inky Binky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 23:52
Rafi
Forum Member

The life of J.R.R Tolkien and C.S Lewis. Tolkien 's time in the Great War, Lewis' struggle with religion, their time as members of the Inkings and their falling out and so forth.

A film detailing the Byzantine general Belisarius, his fractured relationship with Emperor Justinian and his eventual fall at the hands of Justinian.

A film set during the First Crusade following Bohemond Prince of Taranto in particular.

The fascinating life of Alexandre Davy de la Pailleterie (the Black Count), father of the great writer Alexandre Dumas of Monte Cristo and Musketeer fame. Alex's time as a general serving Napoleon in particular.
Rafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 00:26
kippeh
Inactive Member

The Chilean Miners Rescue
kippeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 07:46
little-monster
Forum Member

The Chilean Miners Rescue
They are doing one. Or at least a film based on it. I am not sure
little-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 10:41
Will_Bennetts
Forum Member

Sir bobby Robson
Vince McMahon
Will_Bennetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 17:31
revolver44
Forum Member

Hans Massaquoi's life story. He was a black lad living in Berlin during the Nazi's reign. Fascinating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Massaquoi
Old 29-10-2013, 17:38
Takae
Forum Member

Hans Massaquoi's life story. He was a black lad living in Berlin during the Nazi's reign. Fascinating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Massaquoi
There is a TV film, adapted from his book: Neger, Neger, Schornsteinfeger (2006).
Takae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 18:35
Jenzen
Forum Member

The life of J.R.R Tolkien and C.S Lewis. Tolkien 's time in the Great War, Lewis' struggle with religion, their time as members of the Inkings and their falling out and so forth.
That would be an interesting film
Jenzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 22:30
Will_Bennetts
Forum Member

What about a film leading up to the disappearance of the drummer from the manic street preachers Richey Edwards?
Will_Bennetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 04:26
spiney2
Forum Member

rupert murdoch. but who would dare make it ?

professor higgs. lots of scenes of him scribbling equations down on paper, intercut with scenes of him salmon fishing inh scotland ...

cameron and osborn. brit flick abouut two toffs who dont know the price of milk. nice change from the usual gritty crime or ken loach rubbish.
spiney2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 05:26
dee123
Forum Member

Nellie Bly/Elizabeth Cochrane.

Arthur Phillip.
dee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 10:17
Eddie Badger
Forum Member

Chuck Yeager, WW2 fighter ace and test pilot http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_yeager. He's already been played by Sam Shepard in The Right Stuff but a film concentrating on Yeager would be worth seeing.
Eddie Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 17:51
revolver44
Forum Member

There is a TV film, adapted from his book: Neger, Neger, Schornsteinfeger (2006).
Thanks, shall keep a lookout for this
Old 05-11-2013, 19:10
Kat_12
Forum Member

Looking forward to the one that's apparently being made about the early efforts to climb Everest.

Typhoid Mary, maybe a slightly fictionalised story based on this book

Would love a film about Fred Astaire, but it may be tricky to find an actor who can dance well enough. I also believe Astaire expressed a wish to never be portrayed on film.

Would like a better one about Bletchley Park. They are doing a biopic of Alan Turing which could well feature it heavily.
Kat_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 19:35
Ancient IDTV
Forum Member

Arthur C. Clarke - Plenty of material for a film there.
Ancient IDTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 20:18
kerrminator
Forum Member

The late Jonny Tapia, there 2 or 3 guys I know from this forum who would agree. He was a boxer who had a life so bad it kinda has to be put on the big screen one day. His book 'mi vida loca' is a great but emotional read
kerrminator is offline   Reply With Quote