Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Murder She Wrote - Remake

Old 24-10-2013, 19:51
steveh31
Forum Member

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/new...ks-at-nbc.html

I think if they get the right lead this could work again.
steveh31 is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 24-10-2013, 19:59
Verence
Forum Member

More likely to be cancelled after one season no matter who the lead is
Verence is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 22:00
leeowls87
Forum Member

Its on NBC

There previous remakes have bombed massively, They would of been better off calling it something else but have a similar sort of show

Its handicapped from the start
leeowls87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 08:31
dee123
Forum Member

HUH? So, NBC the network that cancelled Harry's Law because way too many "older" people were watching it have given the go ahead to a series that was such a huge teen-skewing series back when it first aired. I say again: HUH?
dee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 10:35
malcy30
Forum Member

HUH? So, NBC the network that cancelled Harry's Law because way too many "older" people were watching it have given the go ahead to a series that was such a huge teen-skewing series back when it first aired. I say again: HUH?
Exactly what I thought. What idiot at NBC actually thinks this will skew young in the demographic. It's going to be another show with too high an age profile. Even if fantastic compared to the rubbish Ironside remake there is no way NBC would keep it. The only channel it would have a hope on is CBS who like crime procedurals, and seem happy with higher age profiles and total viewership, although it would still need to do okay in the 18-49 demographic.
malcy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 10:56
dee123
Forum Member

Exactly what I thought. What idiot at NBC actually thinks this will skew young in the demographic. It's going to be another show with too high an age profile. Even if fantastic compared to the rubbish Ironside remake there is no way NBC would keep it. The only channel it would have a hope on is CBS who like crime procedurals, and seem happy with higher age profiles and total viewership, although it would still need to do okay in the 18-49 demographic.
Yep. Though this is the network that remade Prime Suspect, but the only thing they changed was that she wore a hat.
Old 25-10-2013, 11:36
anyonefortennis
Forum Member

Oscar winner Octavia Spencer is a great actress. If anyone can make it work, she can.
anyonefortennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 11:39
little-monster
Forum Member

Oh no, no Octavia spencer. Despite winning an undeserved oscar, she only has the ability to play angry black women with bitchy put-downs.

Get someone better please.
little-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 12:45
Jasper456
Forum Member

If bereft of ideas, remake, remake, remake, feel sorry for anyone who aspires to create new material.
Jasper456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 13:24
007Fusion
Forum Member

I enjoyed the original series. Not sure i want a middle aged detective, who will likely have kids and relationship issues to contend with alongside her work. I think i'd prefer old, knowledgeable and nosey or young and sassy, with a point to prove.
007Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 13:43
Face Of Jack
Forum Member

To me - 'Murder She Wrote' is Angela Lansbury as Jessica Fletcher from Cabot Cove.
Not a young woman (no doubt with a disabled child or something, and a mixed-up love-life!).
Look what happened with The Bionic Woman (and other so-called remakes!)
If they want to do such a series....call it something else.

It's like re-making Miss Marple, starring Sarah Michelle Geller!!!
Face Of Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 13:52
Swanandduck2
Forum Member

To me - 'Murder She Wrote' is Angela Lansbury as Jessica Fletcher from Cabot Cove.
Not a young woman (no doubt with a disabled child or something, and a mixed-up love-life!).

Don't give them ideas.
Swanandduck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 14:22
dee123
Forum Member

Jennifer Garner tried to do exactly that a few years ago. The comments i saw on basically every website that ran the story weren't pretty
(though some where very funny) We then never heard of the project again. The one time out of a million, they actually listen to fans.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/miss...s-no-spinster/
Old 25-10-2013, 14:33
Lucylocket88

I agree.
Lucylocket88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 14:46
little-monster
Forum Member

They should just bring it back with Angela Lansbury. For a woman of nearly 90, she is still working loads today. She does loads of theatre. Plus, she is always saying how she would love to play Jessica again.
little-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 17:56
Jaycee Dove
Forum Member

They should just bring it back with Angela Lansbury. For a woman of nearly 90, she is still working loads today. She does loads of theatre. Plus, she is always saying how she would love to play Jessica again.
They will probably give her a cameo role and explain the new Jessica as her long lost daughter that they forgot to mention in the 20 years of the show,

But I agree, reviving the show would stand way more chance of working than remaking it - however brilliant the casting.

Dallas the revival is not ripping up trees but is sort of working, Dallas remade with William Shatner as JR etc would have not lasted a year.

Same here - disastrous idea.
Jaycee Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 18:27
IvanIV
Forum Member

Somebody at NBC has brown hands, whatever they touch turns to... I am waiting for the day they decide to remake Columbo
IvanIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 18:35
Gibraltarian
Forum Member

What an awful idea especially since the original which run for a long time, is still popular and still playing on TV channels across the entire globe!

It might have been an idea to revisit MSW in the future, but not at this time when the original is still a part of many TV schedules!

And no doubt, modern storytelling for TV will destroy the idea - Jessica will have some problem, love life etc and the shwo which was renowned for its self contained episodes will no doubt end up having a season long arc
Gibraltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 18:44
fleet
Forum Member

Totally agree! Why do they have to keep remaking things, come up with a new idea! If shes such an amazing actress, why cast her in a rehash, find her something new and exciting to play!
fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 18:48
radioanorak
Forum Member

Murder She Wrote
This was just an American idea of Miss Marple
Angela Lansbury did play Miss Marple in the film of the Mirror Cracked
radioanorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 21:57
comedy89
Forum Member

Angela Lansbury is working more than ever. Couldn't she do a few more one offs.

Also does the Lansbury family still own some of the rights to the show?
comedy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 01:29
gregrichards
Forum Member

Ms Lansbury said she found it tough filming when she was younger so no way she could do it now. It would film months in the studio then film on location for a week at the real Cabot Cove which was Mendocino, California. You can even stay in what was her house in the show it is a bed and breakfast.

I loved Murder She Wrote I used to watch it with my Nana who looked just like her. I have lovely memories watching the show with her.

Re-makes are never as good as the original. Tim Burton murdered Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
gregrichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 02:28
Rowan Hedge
Inactive Member

If a reboot of Ironside with an american african actor flops because of viewer perception then this is DOA,

And i have never heard of the actress, i'm away to google now
Rowan Hedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 03:59
gregrichards
Forum Member

A pilot episode of the remake has been ordered it will be interesting to see how it pans out- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24669151
gregrichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 07:05
Kromm
Forum Member

If a reboot of Ironside with an american african actor flops because of viewer perception then this is DOA
Ironside 2013 didn't die because Blair Underwood is African-American (I'm only assuming that's what you mean by "american african"). It died because it was very badly conceived and written.
And i have never heard of the actress, i'm away to google now
Octavia Spencer is not a huge star outside of her Oscar win, but she did win it for a movie that was fairly widely seen (vs. some small independent thing). So she does fall in that space where it comes down to if you saw a single film, although its not an obscure film.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote