Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Just how bad is world war z movie

Old 25-10-2013, 23:29
DUNDEEBOY
Forum Member

Paid for it from sky on demand tonight. Just over one hour through its so boring

The dialogue is poor the scenes move too quickly and it seems a difficult film to care about the film or the characters.

It was George square in Glasgow that passed as Philadelphia which wasn't so good for anyone that knows the area.

Good news under an hour to go
DUNDEEBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 25-10-2013, 23:34
NinjyBear
Forum Member

The final 30 minutes are atrocious. Terrible end to what should have been a very good film.
NinjyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 23:52
Johnny Clay
Forum Member

No masterpiece, but I enjoyed it as hectic, pillar-to-post, forward motion entertainment, which was obviously its aim.

But then I wasn't posting on a forum at the same time.
Johnny Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 02:06
FusionFury
Forum Member

I've always thought that it was based on The Last of Us video game.
FusionFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 03:29
pericom
Forum Member

Its a generic zombie movie. Nothing special.
pericom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 09:28
Midsblue
Forum Member

I enjoyed it and an interesting play on zombies being a carrier for the zombie strain so not interested in diseased etc

SFX were great, especially in comparison to other apocalyptic fIlms.

4.49 was reasonable but would have been dissatisfied had I paid 10+ at cinema...but that said; I've paid for a lot worse at the flicks!
Midsblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 09:29
ironjade
Forum Member

It's silly, enjoyable fun but if you've read the book, not so much.
ironjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 10:00
Pistol Whip
Forum Member

I enjoyed it at the cinema but it's not a film I've got any desire to see again, even free.
Pistol Whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 10:28
Trsvis_Bickle
Forum Member

It's not atrocious but I wouldn't watch it again.

The makers seem to have missed the point of zombie flicks entirely. What makes them interesting is how the survivors cope with the situation and this is what the book concentrates on. In the film, Brad indulges in a global travelogue punctuated by escaping from zombies in a series of increasingly improbable ways.

There are some unintentionally hilarious moments. When the researchers reveal to Brad that B-wing is now infested with zombies, surely the next line of dialogue should have been 'Or as we now call it, zombie-wing'.
Trsvis_Bickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 10:31
Old.Tallen
Forum Member

As others have already said, its a generic zombie film but the pacing is really poor.

Worth seeing once,but never again.
Old.Tallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 12:23
Sniffle774
Forum Member

Enjoyable enough film but not one I would rush to watch again. As others have said the pacing doesn't help.
Sniffle774 is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 13:04
FusionFury
Forum Member

It's one of those slow burning films where the pace is really slow.. even the zombies.
FusionFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 17:24
Ted Cunterblast
Forum Member

It's one of those slow burning films where the pace is really slow.. even the zombies.
Errr...no...the zombies are NOT slow Did you actually watch the movie?
Ted Cunterblast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 18:51
ChrisToria
Forum Member

I liked the build the film had, and actually had alot of fun with it. Suprised so many didn't like it, but hey, to each their own. I like it, and will rewatch it. Bought the BD too.

Also, I like the book, though it differs alot.
ChrisToria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 18:56
MARTYM8
Forum Member

I found it a very odd film - its like they ran out of budget for the last 40 minutes and had to film it in Cardiff.

The Israel sections are quite dramatic - but it just seemed pointless like they were aiming for a sequel.
MARTYM8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 19:00
Thunder Lips
Inactive Member

It's not bad, just distinctly average.
Thunder Lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 19:38
NinjyBear
Forum Member

I felt bad for buying some Pepsi today. Product placement doesn't usually work on me
NinjyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 23:12
stvn758
Forum Member

Could have been one of the great horror movies but they messed it up. the Israel scenes were so far above the quality of the rest of the film.
stvn758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 23:15
jeff_vader
Forum Member

"Just how bad is World War Z? "

Not as bad as some might you lead you to believe. Flawed and problematic. Probably a better directors cut somewhere. But has some exceptional scenes (Jerusalem, the plane) and engaging lead. Seen a lot, lot worse.
jeff_vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 23:32
swnymor1963
Forum Member

By chance I also watched it on Sky Box office last night...really can't add anything that has't already been said....an ok film..kept me interested throughout and left me wanting more...although I did think it lost it's way at times..can't see me ever taking another 2hrs out of my life to watch it again though...although I would watch a sequel
swnymor1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 23:38
swnymor1963
Forum Member

"Just how bad is World War Z? "

Not as bad as some might you lead you to believe. Flawed and problematic. Probably a better directors cut somewhere. But has some exceptional scenes (Jerusalem, the plane) and engaging lead. Seen a lot, lot worse.
Deffo.
swnymor1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 01:13
Lathamite
Forum Member

DIdn't feel "generic" to me. In fact, barely felt like a zombie movie at all.

Most Zombie movies stick you in a group of characters and we learn a bit about them before they're picked off one by one.

This was just Brad Pitt travelling the world and being involved in various action scenes with a strong military presence dissolving any real threat that this could ever end the human race. I can't recall a single person dying who the audience was made to care about. Felt more like Independence Day.

I didn't hate it, but there wasn't much to it.
Lathamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 06:59
Ted Cunterblast
Forum Member

Like many have said it is not a terrible movie, not as bad as it's reputation would suggest.

I don't know the source novel and I always find it's best to ignore the source anyway, because all movies are changed in some way from whatever source they are originally from.

I would say it's two thirds of a decent movie. The opening sequence is quite powerful and the way the zombies are introduced is very well done, the transformation sequences have quite an impact.

But the 'travelogue' aspect of the movie dissipates a lot of the tension. However, the Israel sequence and the attack on the plane are very well done.

There was supposed to be a climax shot in Moscow with Brad Pitt battling zombies, but the director chose to end the movie differently. And it's not that the sequence in the WHO lab is bad, it's a fairly tense sequence, but it feels wrong for the climax of the movie.

Incidentally, the Moscow sequence was never actually filmed so it is not going to turn up as a deleted scene on a DVD or anything. However, I believe a sequel is going ahead so maybe it will be filmed for the second movie.
Ted Cunterblast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 15:12
Martin Blank
Forum Member

Two words; "Plane crash".

I'm all for suspension of disbelief but really? Those 2 happen to be the only survivors of the plane crash? I got that far and thought "what a crock of sh..."

Funny moment when Bradley's locked in the virus room with the 'chomping zombie' outside. Very memorable.

The Walking Dead it is not.
Martin Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 17:52
rhynoGB
Forum Member

I really enjoyed it to be honest and i'm not a brad pitt fan..thought it was quite good
rhynoGB is offline   Reply With Quote