Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

How do you decide what to listen to?

Old 26-10-2013, 14:07
clarribo
Forum Member

Just a few years ago unless you were so rich you could buy hundreds of albums your decision would have been based on what you owned or by the radio. Now with the internet there are millions of songs instantly available. As well as listening to what I know and like I try to listen to random stuff I have not heard before sometimes it is through recommendations by other people, sometimes through the similar artists tag, at the moment I am listening to a band because I was looking for gigs at a specific venue.
clarribo is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 26-10-2013, 14:23
little-monster
Forum Member

I normally decide depending on the genre, hype or whether the artist/band have similarities to artists i already love. It can vary.
little-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 14:38
AdamDowds
Forum Member

I follow the genres I like from blogs, Last.fm, Allmusic, Facebook or whatever and see which names interest me. Of artists I've known a long time I try similar artists, but I might also try other artists on the same label (4AD, Future Classic, Moshi Moshi being a few examples).

Recently I've found some great bands through Spotify's Discover feature. They're just like "this band is recommended for you" and I listen to them and am like "they are amazing!"
AdamDowds is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 16:18
afcbfan
Forum Member

I listen to perhaps the best New Releases' play-list that you'll find on Spotify: an eclectic weekly mix of over 100 of the best new Single and EP tracks around at the moment:

www.spoti.fi/OQ15nN

OK, so I curate it myself; nevertheless, the point still stands.
afcbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 16:26
Hav_mor91
Forum Member

Whatever i feel like at the time. Or reccomendations/Hype so basically its a mood thing for me.
Hav_mor91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 16:34
BeatsDuJour
Forum Member

I go on a few music sites that will ask you to type in the name of a band or singer so that the site can recommend similar sounding artists. You can also choose your mood or what genre of music you're interested in so the site can recommend things using those details as well. I've also found out about quite a few great bands and singers just buy clicking the recommendations that pop up on iTunes when looking at specific artists that I like. CDbaby.com is a great site to discover new music.
BeatsDuJour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 17:17
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

Whatever i feel like at the time. Or reccomendations/Hype so basically its a mood thing for me.
Same here. I tend to avoid hype though
cnbcwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 18:22
mgvsmith
Forum Member

I have a mixture of sources; The Guardian/Observer music sections, Later....with Jools Holland, recommendations on Spotify and Digital Spy Threads and Radio 6 and Soma FM radio. I also trawl Youtube from time to time.

I listen to all genres and types of music.
mgvsmith is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 19:07
AdamDowds
Forum Member

I listen to perhaps the best New Releases' play-list that you'll find on Spotify: an eclectic weekly mix of over 100 of the best new Single and EP tracks around at the moment:

www.spoti.fi/OQ15nN

This is a brilliant playlist, and have been wanting to find the creator for ages! Found some great tunes across the weeks, and even had some before you even put them on!

But I should probably add that I tune into 6 Music and the BBC Introducing show on BBC Sussex when I can for new discoveries. Being a radio man I should be listening to as much radio as possible!
AdamDowds is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 20:22
afcbfan
Forum Member

Why, thank you. I originally started it as an alternative to the poor choice of breakfast music radio I had, but it's grown to the extent that I haven't listened to the radio at all for, oooh, it must be three years or more.
Old 27-10-2013, 01:05
rfonzo
Forum Member

Nowadays, I flick through the music channels to see if anything catches my eye or ears.
rfonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 11:07
JohnnyGrumpus
Forum Member

I have a pretty catholic taste in music. Anything from Industrial Metal through Classical to Country.
I usually find new stuff to listen to via recommendations on Allmusic, iTunes or links posted on DS
JohnnyGrumpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 16:02
Hayden
Forum Member

www.spoti.fi/OQ15nN

Within half an hour I've already found two or three tracks I really love.
I curse you as i think I'm going to be spending far too much time on there in the future.
Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 16:18
mysty211
Forum Member

It depends sometimes I listen to a new album I just bought/downloaded non-stop . Other times I'll shuffle but keep flicking through until I find a song I want or I'll listen to one of my favourite artists or I listen to current songs. I usually flick through youtube and click the videos at the side or check out last fm. Loads of music i've found by clicking random songs on youtube then I find other songs by that singer.
mysty211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 17:00
ItsNick
Forum Member

The simple answer to the thread is that I say "er... what shall I listen to, I know I'll listen to that".
ItsNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 19:43
afcbfan
Forum Member

Within half an hour I've already found two or three tracks I really love.
I curse you as i think I'm going to be spending far too much time on there in the future.
Apologies

I'm just about to put on this week's selection; some great tunes on there again. Really liking the latest Dark Bells and Yuna efforts.
Old 30-10-2013, 19:44
CLL Dodge
Forum Member

Whatever I've just bought. All my old stuff's in storage.
CLL Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 23:09
scrilla
Forum Member

unless you were so rich you could buy hundreds of albums
I'm not rich and I've thousands of albums on record and CD.
scrilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 01:01
TheTruth1983
Forum Member

I find a band I like on Bandcamp and I click on a tag and go exploring.
TheTruth1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 21:10
clarribo
Forum Member

www.spoti.fi/OQ15nN

Have to laugh put your latest playlist on shuffle thinking ooh might find some great new stuff.... first song...one direction!
clarribo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 21:19
welwynrose
Forum Member

I watch a lot of American tv so get a lot of my new music from those programmes
welwynrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:32
JohnnyGrumpus
Forum Member

At the moment i'm ripping all my cds and vinyl to iTunes so what i'm listening to is governed by that. Some of it I haven't played for years so it's nice to hear again.
JohnnyGrumpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:13
Inkblot
Forum Member

I watch a lot of American tv so get a lot of my new music from those programmes
Ray Donovan was an absolute goldmine for great but slightly obscure music.

I mostly find new music by listening online to American public radio or some of the more imaginative European stations.
Inkblot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:33
afcbfan
Forum Member

Have to laugh put your latest playlist on shuffle thinking ooh might find some great new stuff.... first song...one direction!
I take pride in my playlist being a broad church; "Let a hundred flowers bloom," as Mao Zedong once said