Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Shutter Island

Old 29-10-2013, 07:02
jack_kowalski
Forum Member

Recently I watched shutter island. I loved this film because of mysterious plot and ambiguous ending. I'm looking for similar films. If you know any, please write the title.
jack_kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 29-10-2013, 09:08
Thunder Lips
Inactive Member

Personally I hated it, dull, dreary shit where I kept waiting for the twist I knew was coming so the film could lay out it's REAL premise. When it finally happened at a point where it was obvious the end was almost upon us, I was aghast at the poor level of storytelling.

I'd recommend Angel Heart, with Mickey Rourke and Robert De Niro as an interesting watch with somewhat similar themes.
Thunder Lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 10:02
finkly
Forum Member

I think it's one of Scorsese's best films and one of those films that works better after you know the twist. I love the atmosphere of it all.

It always reminds me of The Shining, but that's probably the music and oppressive mood. I guess Mulholland Drive is similar in terms of ambiguity and plot.
finkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 10:16
Eddie Badger
Forum Member

The last time I watched Shutter Island, I turned down the colour, increased the contrast and reduced the image brightness slightly. It really looked great in black and white, I felt it added to the mood of the movie.
Eddie Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 11:02
Sez_babe
Forum Member

I remember loving this film at the cinema - need to watch it again!
Sez_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 11:46
downtonfan
Forum Member

An excellent film. I loved it. I didn't see the twist but that's because I am not a cynical little shite like the first responder to your post.
downtonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 11:56
Wetherby
Forum Member

Personally I hated it, dull, dreary shit where I kept waiting for the twist I knew was coming so the film could lay out it's REAL premise. When it finally happened at a point where it was obvious the end was almost upon us, I was aghast at the poor level of storytelling.

I'd recommend Angel Heart, with Mickey Rourke and Robert De Niro as an interesting watch with somewhat similar themes.
Obviously not everyone is as intelligent and smart as you, so please make allowances for everyone else.
Terrible to hear that you were "aghast".

ps it goes without saying that you anticipated the twist in Angel Heart.
Wetherby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 12:11
Dai13371
Forum Member

An excellent film. I loved it. I didn't see the twist but that's because I am not a cynical little shite like the first responder to your post.
Oops, but I agree. It was a fabulous film as was the cynical little so and so's recommendation of Angel Heart.
Dai13371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 13:41
soran
Forum Member

Another similar film, is Safe House starring Daniel Craig, Naomi Watts and Rachel Weisz.
soran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 14:19
Thunder Lips
Inactive Member

Obviously not everyone is as intelligent and smart as you, so please make allowances for everyone else.
Terrible to hear that you were "aghast".

ps it goes without saying that you anticipated the twist in Angel Heart.
Oops, but I agree. It was a fabulous film as was the cynical little so and so's recommendation of Angel Heart.
Please don't take offence at that. It was a predictable twist, I never made any comments about the intelligence of anyone or had any intentions of levelling insults at people, so why would you respond that way?
Thunder Lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 14:28
shelts
Forum Member

The book is better but did a great job with the film, films rarely live up to expectations but this was pretty good
shelts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 15:21
sarahj1986
Forum Member

I got this on DVD and finally watched it about a year ago and really enjoyed the film. I didn't expect the twist at all, a real good film
sarahj1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 16:30
TCD1975
Forum Member

Shutter Island = great film.

Someone recommends a film above called Safe House. I've not seen it but I think they actually mean Dream House ...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1462041

Identity also has a similar concept ...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0309698

... and, if you don't mind sub-titled foreign cinema, then I'd recommend A Tale of Two Sisters (great film but I had to Google it afterwards to make sense of what I'd seen - was even better when watched for a second time) ...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365376
TCD1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 16:50
Dai13371
Forum Member

Please don't take offence at that. It was a predictable twist, I never made any comments about the intelligence of anyone or had any intentions of levelling insults at people, so why would you respond that way?
Apologies Thunder Lips, I didn't intend to imply I agreed with the poster, just quoted the poster. I should have used your username instead, there was no call for not doing that.
Dai13371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 21:49
Johnny Clay
Forum Member

Didn't like it at all.

I think it's one of Scorsese's best films and one of those films that works better after you know the twist. I love the atmosphere of it all.

It always reminds me of The Shining, but that's probably the music and oppressive mood. I guess Mulholland Drive is similar in terms of ambiguity and plot.
I knew the twist having read the book, but that wasn't the problem.

The problem was Scorsese, who applies the same overblown theatrics he indulged himself with in the equally turgid, equally boring Cape Fear. Right from the off it's all boom-boom-boom melodrama, as if pummeling the audience into submission by sheer muscle power alone.

You suspect it's to compensate for the flimsy material. After all, Shutter Island is really just another empty, one-note parlour trick, a chance to show off mastery of form and pull the rug with a final, dazzling flourish. But Scorsese makes such ham-fisted heavy weather of it, and the film sinks like the pudding it is.

This sort of tricksy hokum (and hokum it is - The Shining and Mulholland Drive are both light years ahead in this respect as well as others), is always done best slyly, persuasively. Thriller meisters like Hitchcock, De Palma etc always know when to tip-toe, when to play it light, and then turn on the thumbscrews. But Scorsese just ploughs through it with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer, and it gets old fast. An awful, awful film.
Johnny Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 21:56
mimik1uk
Forum Member

The book is better but did a great job with the film, films rarely live up to expectations but this was pretty good
liked the book a lot , same author as mystic river
mimik1uk is offline   Reply With Quote