Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Blockbuster - no PS4 or Xbox One.

Old 29-10-2013, 17:04
fastest finger
Forum Member

Blockbuster have gone back into administration and have just confirmed they are unable to fulfil any PS4 or Xbox One pre-orders.

Anyone that has next-gen consoles on order through the frim need to contact the store they ordered at or, if they ordered online, their head office.
fastest finger is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 29-10-2013, 17:23
brb
Forum Member

If anyone preordered the PS4 through them and still wants for launch, ShopTo is still saying that their KillZone bundles will be delivered for launch day!

http://www.shopto.net/product/search...E/platform/ps4

Why would anyone be stupid enough to preorder via Blockbuster anyway
brb is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 18:05
GARETH197901
Forum Member

Blockbuster have gone back into administration and have just confirmed they are unable to fulfil any PS4 or Xbox One pre-orders.

Anyone that has next-gen consoles on order through the frim need to contact the store they ordered at or, if they ordered online, their head office.
They now say that refunds have to be put in writing to an head office address,not from the store you bought it from,under no circumstances should you attempt to get a refund from the store

scary times for anyone who has preordered there
GARETH197901 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 18:14
cooltv
Forum Member

My m8 pre ordered his PS4 from there and I have just gave him the bad news
cooltv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 20:12
matdevine21
Forum Member

They now say that refunds have to be put in writing to an head office address,not from the store you bought it from,under no circumstances should you attempt to get a refund from the store

This is disgusting but not a surprise.
Blockbuster have been spinning around the drain for a long time just like HMV.

Game (I know I work for them so a little bit biased and things are not always great but we are in a much better position than those two) managed to turn it all around with the online business being the main part that keeps us afloat.

You would think that deposits would be covered by the government or some kind of mandatory insurance that shops should have who take deposits.
matdevine21 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 20:18
GARETH197901
Forum Member

Game (I know I work for them so a little bit biased and things are not always great but we are in a much better position than those two) managed to turn it all around with the online business being the main part that keeps us afloat.

You would think that deposits would be covered by the government or some kind of mandatory insurance that shops should have who take deposits.
Yeah,my local has had some major renovation work done to it recently to modernise the store(i tend to use the store as im just a luddite that way,i like to browse and buy,lol)
Old 29-10-2013, 20:33
fastest finger
Forum Member

Thanks for the update.

Lots of people contacting the company on Twitter and Facebook looking for info, including members of staff who say they have no idea what's going on.

For those seeking pre-order refunds, you need to write to -

BLOCKBUSTER
Harefield Place
The Drive
Uxbridge
UB10 8AQ

Including your name, the branch where the order was made, order number and a copy of the receipt given when the pre-order was placed.

Hopefully Blockbuster's allocated stock will quickly be distributed between other retailers allowing their customers to get a console elsewhere.

In the meantime, good luck to all those employees who's jobs are at risk.

[Despite news reports to the contrary, Blockbuster say they're NOT in administration, but have applied for protection, whilst they seek a buyer. All stores remain open as normal.]
Old 29-10-2013, 20:42
Dan27
Forum Member

If the company is in administration, you won't get any money back.

I'm afraid this is another reminder to only pre-order from the right companies.
Dan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 20:46
fastest finger
Forum Member

Earlier news reports seem to be incorrect - they are not in administration but they have applied for protection while they seek a buyer, hence the cancelled pre-orders. Refunds are still currently available.
dearmrman
Forum Member

It's just a shame that the staff lie, well they do in our town. Went in to get GTA V, on day of release, I think Game was selling it for about 44.00. ASDA had it advertised for 39.99, asked if they would price match, only to be told by the staff member at Game that ASDA had sold out. ASDA hadn't sold out as I brought it from there later that day.

It will be a shame if Blockbuster go, because they do reasonable priced games.
dearmrman is offline   Reply With Quote
GARETH197901
Forum Member

its not actually in administration the company has applied for protection whilst they find a buyer
Old 29-10-2013, 20:53
Banana Rama
Forum Member

of all the places you could pre-order a ps4 or xbox one from, why on earth would you choose a struggling company like blockbuster...
Banana Rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 21:04
GARETH197901
Forum Member

of all the places you could pre-order a ps4 or xbox one from, why on earth would you choose a struggling company like blockbuster...
probably because you would think you were doing them a favour,helping a struggling company out of the brown and stinky stuff
Old 29-10-2013, 22:59
Dan27
Forum Member

its not actually in administration the company has applied for protection whilst they find a buyer
What do you think Administration actually is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administration_(insolvency)

Trading can happen while in administration, but for a process of liquifying stock for creditors.

Any monies that have been paid for pre-orders of consoles will likely never be paid back as they will go to creditors. This is why there was a big saga over HMV not honouring gift cards when they went into administration a while back.

probably because you would think you were doing them a favour,helping a struggling company out of the brown and stinky stuff
That is simply crazy. That would be like buying a house in Dubai because their property market fell off a cliff ages ago.

If you buy a console, buy it from a strong retailer. Buyer beware should have been lit up in neon lights for the likes of Blockbuster.
Old 29-10-2013, 23:05
Speedloafer
Forum Member

What do you think Administration actually is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administration_(insolvency)

Trading can happen while in administration, but for a process of liquifying stock for creditors.

Any monies that have been paid for pre-orders of consoles will likely never be paid back as they will go to creditors. This is why there was a big saga over HMV not honouring gift cards when they went into administration a while back.

That is simply crazy. That would be like buying a house in Dubai because their property market fell off a cliff ages ago.

If you buy a console, buy it from a strong retailer. Buyer beware should have been lit up in neon lights for the likes of Blockbuster.
Buying off blockbuster was not the wisest, but saying "buy off a strong retailer" is foolish. Unless you have the benefit of time travel its all a gamble.
Speedloafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 23:07
Dan27
Forum Member

It's really not.

Amazon. Asda. Tesco. Those three are getting hundreds of thousands of PS4s allocated for launch by Sony. All three aren't going under anytime soon, all three will get a PS4 to you on launch day.

All it requires is common sense. You don't pre-order, let alone PAY for a pre-order for a console from a retailer that can go under at any moment.
Old 29-10-2013, 23:22
Speedloafer
Forum Member

It's really not.

Amazon. Asda. Tesco. Those three are getting hundreds of thousands of PS4s allocated for launch by Sony. All three aren't going under anytime soon, all three will get a PS4 to you on launch day.

All it requires is common sense. You don't pre-order, let alone PAY for a pre-order for a console from a retailer that can go under at any moment.
You don't know if they are going under or not, unless you have insider knowledge. Look at Game and HMV all fine one day and chaos the next. Are you telling me you knew all along the shit was going to hit the fan with those two retailers? Why were so many people left holding HMV vouchers? Nobody had any idea.
Old 29-10-2013, 23:24
Dan27
Forum Member

You don't know if they are going under?

It's the SECOND time now that Blockbuster have gone into Administration.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21446024
Old 29-10-2013, 23:42
Speedloafer
Forum Member

You don't know if they are going under?

It's the SECOND time now that Blockbuster have gone into Administration.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21446024
I was referring to Amazon. Asda. Tesco.
Old 30-10-2013, 00:44
gother
Forum Member

I can see Game going the same way with the prices they charge.
gother is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 07:35
brb
Forum Member

Game charge extremely reasonably online. They usually price match with Amazon and if not, it's only marginally more expensive (but Game usually have exclusives etc). GAME in-store usually has some good deals too (just not on newly released stuff - which they do charge a fortune for!).
Old 30-10-2013, 08:16
gdjman68wasdigi
Forum Member

It's really not.

im glad somebody mentioned Amazon..(waiting nervously and checking open orders every day....)
gdjman68wasdigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 08:20
gdjman68wasdigi
Forum Member

Game are the pits...after last weekend they are finished in my book

Arkham Origins...i though the game was faulty with all of the freezing issues etc

when i rang them up to exchange it the idiot on the phone said i would have to video any fault and PROVE TO THEM it was faulty..as no body had complained about any freezing and it must be my 360 or me.

anyway i told him this is why people go to ASDA because if you have a problem, they dont give you an argument

sooner Game go, the better, they are a leech on the gaming industry

probably a bit harsh..but his customer service skills left a lot to be desired

Blockbuster also wouldnt give me a price for a game over the phone not so long ago, "because they have had too many problems"

these places dont dont themselves any favours
gdjman68wasdigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 08:48
2Dshmuplover
Forum Member

Feel sorry for you guys who pre-ordered at Blockbuster.
2Dshmuplover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 08:50
brb
Forum Member

Feel sorry for you guys who pre-ordered at Blockbuster.
Presumably though the consoles allocated to Blockbuster will now be distributed to other suppliers? It's a shame that Blockbuster hasn't worked closer with Microsoft and Sony to ensure that those who preordered with Blockbuster are protected at whatever store receives Blockbuster's allocation. Like I said though, ShopTo are still offering launch day PS3s (KillZone bundle only!). I can't see anywhere offering the Xbox Day One Editions though - I imagine that is the bigger kick in the teeth for Xbox fans!