Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Supporting actors

Old 29-10-2013, 19:06
degsyhufc
Forum Member

Watched Flight the other day and it was another top performance by John Goodman.

He tends to get good roles as a support actor but not usually the main, even going back to Roseanne.

He has had leading roles. Monsters Inc. is probably his most famous. Either that or King Ralph
or Aracnaphobia.

Anyway, I thought i'd give him a big up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Goodman#Filmography
Some good movies in there, even is some are more cult classics (many Coen bros) rather than mainstream

Want to add to this or name one of your own?
degsyhufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 30-10-2013, 11:33
Sniffle774
Forum Member

He was good in Argo as well.
Sniffle774 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 20:49
TexAveryWolf
Forum Member

Tony Shalhoub
Philip Baker Hall
Hector Elizondo
David Strathairn
George Kennedy
Cliff Curtis

....and here's one:Paul Ben Victor-always plays mafiosi/hoods, but gives the sweetest performance in the TV Biopic of the Three Stooges.

Alot of these "support" actors have more game then their typecasting would have you believe.
TexAveryWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 20:51
Barbra
Forum Member

I enjoyed watching The Flintstones.
Barbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 20:58
Barbra
Forum Member

Madeline Kahn may possibly be the female counterpart of John Goodman.

What's Up Doc
Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein
High Anxiety
Barbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 00:36
Callum_Brown
Forum Member

John Goodman was in 2012 and 2013's Best Picture with The Artist and Argo respectively. He's also in the new Coen Brothers movie - Inside Llewyn Davis. However I think Hangover 3 might be a dead cert.
Callum_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 17:51
hellesbelles
Forum Member

John Goodman was the best thing about Flight, loved him in Barton Fink as well. I would like to add Ernest Borgnine though for The Wild Bunch, The Dirty Dozen, The Poseiden Adventure and a million others.
hellesbelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 18:12
treefr0g
Forum Member

Yaphet Kotto - Alien, Brubaker, Live and Let Die, Midnight Run, The Running Man.

Richard Jenkins - This guy seems to make about ten movies a year and imo he alway delivers.
treefr0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 21:35
BeatsDuJour
Forum Member

Richard Jenkins - This guy seems to make about ten movies a year and imo he alway delivers.
A brilliant actor.
BeatsDuJour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 21:45
BeatsDuJour
Forum Member

Fred Ward
John C. Reilly
John Heard
Dylan Baker
Bobby Cannavale
Jack Warden
William Fichtner
J.K. Simmons
Harry Dean Stanton
Emile Hirsch
John Carroll Lynch
Reece Thompson
BeatsDuJour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 21:14
IamBagpuss
Forum Member

Brad Dourif - too many films to mention but Lord of the Rings and Exorcist 3 are just two of them.
IamBagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 22:51
treefr0g
Forum Member

Brad Dourif - too many films to mention but Lord of the Rings and Exorcist 3 are just two of them.
You missed 'One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest'
Old 03-11-2013, 08:20
Ted Cunterblast
Forum Member

Leland Orser.

Been in a lot of big movies and guested in a lot of tv shows, and always seems to me to make an impact in the short time he has on screen.

I vividly remember him as the poor guy in Seven who was forced to kill the prostitute in the brothel...and nothing is shown of the actual murder, but his description of what happened and his sheer terror and disgust at what he was forced to do comes across vividly.

Can't find a decent vid of that scene, but did find this from Saving Private Ryan which I had all but forgotten about, and a good example of how he can steal the one single scene he has in a movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1xtiuqWFCc
Ted Cunterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 16:07
little-monster
Forum Member

David Bradley
Best known as Mr Filch from Harry Potter, but I have seen him in tons of roles and often found him remarkable and normally better than the leads. Harry Brown and Another Year are examples.
little-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 17:41
Takae
Forum Member

Hirofumi Arai - did a couple of leading roles throughout his career, but best known for giving exceptional performances in his supporting roles.

Edited:
Louis Koo, best known for being a leading film star and heartthrob, is far better an actor in his supporting roles. Strange but true.
Takae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 17:51
mrcynical
Forum Member

Bernard Hill.
mrcynical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 18:01
MikeySaint859
Forum Member

Watched Flight the other day and it was another top performance by John Goodman.

He tends to get good roles as a support actor but not usually the main, even going back to Roseanne.
He was in the decent 1989 All Pacino film Sea of Love, but he never really kicked on to leading roles, except for rubbish like The Flintstones Movie and the forgettable Arachnophobia. Though considering his raging alcoholism he hasn't done too badly.
MikeySaint859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 16:13
CBFreak
Forum Member

Steve Buscemi doesn't seem to have many main leads in films to his name. But he always stands out.

Danny Trejo has been in loads of films.
Michael Berryman is a man you would recognise but never remember his name. Been in a few lower budget films.
CBFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 16:47
Ciccone Youth
Forum Member

Legendary six-time Best Supporting Actress nominee Thelma Ritter - All About Eve, The Mating Season, With a Song in My Heart and Pickup on South Street, Pillow Talk and Birdman of Alcatraz - she never won an Oscar, but she deserved them. Was also a favourite of Hitchcock the Golden Globes, the Laurel Awards and Broadway.
Ciccone Youth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:20
treefr0g
Forum Member

I was just watching Starship Troopers and felt that Clancy Brown deserved a mention in this thread.

He's played a big part in some of my favourite movies and always convincing, especially in 'Shawshank'.

I have to admit that although I've always been a fan, I had to look his name up but now I know it, I will try to remember it from now on.

Looking at his IMDB profile, he looks like a hard worker and from his picture he looks like a lovely guy.

It's better to burn out than to fade away
Old 04-01-2014, 01:40
Callum_Brown
Forum Member

I can't say that I've ever seen Stanley Tucci in a leading role.

And I've never seen Helena Bonham Carter as top-billed either. Usually either female lead (Sweeney Todd/King's Speech) or '...and Helena Bonham Carter'
Callum_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:42
Trsvis_Bickle
Forum Member

He was in the decent 1989 All Pacino film Sea of Love, but he never really kicked on to leading roles, except for rubbish like The Flintstones Movie and the forgettable Arachnophobia. Though considering his raging alcoholism he hasn't done too badly.
I'm glad someone else mentioned this. I think it's a much under-rated film and Goodman is indeed very good in it.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman was a brilliant supporting actor for many years; I particularly liked him in The Talented Mr Ripley. Of course, he has had leading roles in recent years.
Trsvis_Bickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:53
Mystical123
Forum Member

He was good in Argo as well.
And he's great in Inside Llewyn Davis, anyone who's a John Goodman fan should watch that movie when it comes out.
Mystical123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 20:51
degsyhufc
Forum Member

I can't say that I've ever seen Stanley Tucci in a leading role.
He was the joint lead, but I would say lead, in Big Night about an Italian Restaurant.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115678/reference
Good cast list, good film.
degsyhufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:17
treefr0g
Forum Member

Randy Quaid.

The guy should get an Oscar for his contribution to cinema.