Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

SSD in my laptop - wow!

Old 01-11-2013, 10:14
Rog
Forum Member

Got hold of a Toshiba 128GB SSD, cloned my old hard drive using the free Toshiba copy software. Put the SSD in and all worked first time. My laptop is 4 years old and only SATA 2, however it now flies. The improvement is astonishing and I would recommend an SSD upgrade to anyone.
Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:24
flagpole
Forum Member

it's the seek times that offer the real speed improvement more than the transfer speeds so even on the slower bus you get 90%+ of the performance increase.

have you enabled trim? you need to enable trim if you have cloned an installation from an HDD.
flagpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:36
Rog
Forum Member

it's the seek times that offer the real speed improvement more than the transfer speeds so even on the slower bus you get 90%+ of the performance increase.

have you enabled trim? you need to enable trim if you have cloned an installation from an HDD.
I think I need to learn about trim and maybe you can help! I read on the web that I should change the BIOS from ATA mode to AHCI. I did this but got the Blue Screen of Death, so changed back to ATA mode. Further reading indicates that, if you do a clean install, then you can enable AHCI before the install process, however if you clone an old drive then it is not possible to successfully enable AHCI, as the content of the drive was made in ATA mode. Any thoughts?
Old 01-11-2013, 16:01
noise747
Forum Member

Link below should help with the AHCI problem.

http://www.ithinkdiff.com/how-to-ena...-installation/
noise747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 16:03
fmradiotuner1
Forum Member

I have one in my PC and takes less than 10 sec to come on so it does save a lot of time.
fmradiotuner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 16:08
Rog
Forum Member

Thanks for that - I'll give it a try soon
Old 01-11-2013, 16:18
zx50
Forum Member

The time that SSDs become standard, this will probably be the equivalent of people seeing full high definition for the first time.
zx50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 16:19
zx50
Forum Member

Got hold of a Toshiba 128GB SSD, cloned my old hard drive using the free Toshiba copy software. Put the SSD in and all worked first time. My laptop is 4 years old and only SATA 2, however it now flies. The improvement is astonishing and I would recommend an SSD upgrade to anyone.
When the prices come down enough I will.
Old 01-11-2013, 16:21
Rog
Forum Member

When the prices come down enough I will.
I thought it was 65 well spent!
Old 01-11-2013, 16:26
zx50
Forum Member

I thought it was 65 well spent!
How much storage do you get for that? I'd be after a 250 or 500GB one. 40 would be better. 65 isn't that bad though.
Old 01-11-2013, 16:27
flagpole
Forum Member

I think I need to learn about trim and maybe you can help! I read on the web that I should change the BIOS from ATA mode to AHCI. I did this but got the Blue Screen of Death, so changed back to ATA mode. Further reading indicates that, if you do a clean install, then you can enable AHCI before the install process, however if you clone an old drive then it is not possible to successfully enable AHCI, as the content of the drive was made in ATA mode. Any thoughts?
you can certainly enable AHCI after you've installed windows. you just need to make a quick change before you do.

it doesn't massively mater if you **** up because you can switch it back.

there is a fix it here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

manually or with the fix it make the change to windows, then in the bios.

you can then google how to enable trim.
flagpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 16:36
Rog
Forum Member

you can certainly enable AHCI after you've installed windows. you just need to make a quick change before you do.

it doesn't massively mater if you **** up because you can switch it back.

there is a fix it here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

manually or with the fix it make the change to windows, then in the bios.

you can then google how to enable trim.
Thanks - will try the easy method first
Old 01-11-2013, 16:37
Rog
Forum Member

How much storage do you get for that? I'd be after a 250 or 500GB one. 40 would be better. 65 isn't that bad though.
128GB. If you want 500GB, then you are looking at serious money
Old 01-11-2013, 19:39
neo_wales
Forum Member

About the 250 mark for a 500gb SSD drive and the price is falling.
neo_wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 21:10
noise747
Forum Member

While I do like my SSD, I am a bit worried about reliability, I did have problems when I first had it and a firmware update was suppose to fix it, but that failed. I sent it back to Corsair who sent me a new one with the update and i have had no problems with it since then. But having a 120Gb which just got the Os and a few bits of software on is a bit different to larger drive with more important data on.

I do have a couple of mechanical drives in my computer and apart from a Seagate I once had, I have never lost any info from one.

Sure backing up is important, but I think I will wait for a while before I would get a larger SSD.

I am going to put my Linux onto the SSD and windows onto the other drive at some point. Saying that Linux works faster on a normal drive than windows does on a SSD.
Old 01-11-2013, 21:19
zx50
Forum Member

Hmm... The least I'd want is 250GBs. I'll just have to wait.
Old 01-11-2013, 21:44
jzee
Forum Member

I'm not seeing the improvement in start up times some claim, on my machine you have to wait for USB to be enabled in order to logon.
jzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 22:26
Orbitalzone
Forum Member

Having had SSD's for over a year in two desktops at home, I now find reloading Win7 on a mechanical hard drive desktop (parents pc) so labourious to install, wait, whirrr, wait, click, whiirrr, etc

The sooner mechanical drives are binned the better, sure some people hate to see them go (non SSD owners) but like VHS, we'll all be glad to see the back of them when they finally go to hardware heaven.
Orbitalzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 22:48
s2k
Forum Member

I'm not seeing the improvement in start up times some claim, on my machine you have to wait for USB to be enabled in order to logon.
Might be worth updating the drive firmware and your motherboard BIOS (make sure you do a backup beforehand). Also check that it is set to use AHCI and that it is plugged into the fastest SATA port type on the board.

With my Crucial M4 I get to the logon box in just a couple of seconds. Originally it was so quick the Windows 7 logo animation wouldnt appear at all but it briefly shows up now as I added an extra mechanical hard disk for backups.
s2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 22:57
alan1302
Forum Member

The sooner mechanical drives are binned the better, sure some people hate to see them go (non SSD owners) but like VHS, we'll all be glad to see the back of them when they finally go to hardware heaven.
I'd be more than happy to have one but they are very expensive for a decent sized one and I can't justify the cost.
alan1302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 23:46
emptybox
Forum Member

I'm not sure they're mature enough technology yet?
Having to worry about updating firmware on a hard drive is ridiculous. They should just work.
emptybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:20
noise747
Forum Member

Having had SSD's for over a year in two desktops at home, I now find reloading Win7 on a mechanical hard drive desktop (parents pc) so labourious to install, wait, whirrr, wait, click, whiirrr, etc

Mechanical drives will be with us for a while yet, the cheapest way to store large amount of information. i don't see what difference it makes to you, if your parents computer is that bad, then they either got old machine or a old hard drive.

There is a go between, a hybrid, a mechanical drive with a SSD bolted on, I have got a seagate one which have got my Linux on at the moment. It works ok, not as fast a SSD, but faster than a standard drive.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:24
noise747
Forum Member

I'm not sure they're mature enough technology yet?
Having to worry about updating firmware on a hard drive is ridiculous. They should just work.
It is not just SSD drives that had to have firmware updated, Seagate drives went through it a couple of years back or so.
A lot of the updates for SSD units are for performance issues, a mate got a crucial a while back and with out the update it would have ran slower, since the update it have been fine, the same with my corsair.

Another mate just got a corsair and no update needed, so things are improving.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:46
jzee
Forum Member

Might be worth updating the drive firmware and your motherboard BIOS (make sure you do a backup beforehand). Also check that it is set to use AHCI and that it is plugged into the fastest SATA port type on the board.

With my Crucial M4 I get to the logon box in just a couple of seconds. Originally it was so quick the Windows 7 logo animation wouldnt appear at all but it briefly shows up now as I added an extra mechanical hard disk for backups.
Nowhere near as fast that on mine, my USB also powers off as the Windows logo comes up then takes 6 seconds to come back on so I can enter the login passcode.
jzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:13
noise747
Forum Member

Nowhere near as fast that on mine, my USB also powers off as the Windows logo comes up then takes 6 seconds to come back on so I can enter the login passcode.
Very strange, I can use the keyboard to log in as soon as the screen came up, not that I log into windows now, it boots straight into windows.