Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Blood On Satan's Claw - Film 4 Sunday 12.50am

Old 01-11-2013, 15:40
Peachy Keen
Forum Member

It's great to see this underrated horror film back on terrestrial tv again after a long absence.

Showing as part of Film 4's dark arts season, fans of 'Witchfinder General' and 'The Wicker Man' will probably find this cult movie up their street as well.

I can remember 'Blood On Satan's Claw' being shown regularly on tv late on Saturday evenings in the 1980s!

For viewers who missed Ben Wheatley's 'A Field In England' the first time round, the film is on before 'Blood On Satan's Claw' at 11pm.

A crackers but perfect double bill of folk horror!
Peachy Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 02-11-2013, 19:25
Alrightmate
Forum Member

Yes this is supposed to be a good film and I'm looking forward to watching it.
I saw it mentioned in Mark Gatiss's BBC4 documentary series about horror, and going on his recommendation I've wanted to watch it.

The films Blood on Satan's Claw and Witchfinder General served as inspiration for Ben Wheatley's A Field in England.
The Wicker Man was also an inspiration for Ben Wheatley's other film Kill List.
Alrightmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 19:36
filmfan7
Forum Member

It's great to see this underrated horror film back on terrestrial tv again after a long absence.

Showing as part of Film 4's dark arts season, fans of 'Witchfinder General' and 'The Wicker Man' will probably find this cult movie up their street as well.

I can remember 'Blood On Satan's Claw' being shown regularly on tv late on Saturday evenings in the 1980s!

For viewers who missed Ben Wheatley's 'A Field In England' the first time round, the film is on before 'Blood On Satan's Claw' at 11pm.

A crackers but perfect double bill of folk horror!
I have this film ...its not to everyones taste but its very pagan gothic even but it remains a classic !
filmfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 19:41
sheila blige
Forum Member

I'm afraid I have to disagree with most. Even by the standards of the day Blood on Satan's Claw was (and still is) a truly dreadful film.
sheila blige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 22:51
Mark A
Forum Member

Part of its charm, surely?

Regards

Mark
Mark A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 23:01
Ginger Nut
Forum Member

I was going to give A Field... a whirl tonight. Depending on that I may have a look at Satan's Claw to see if I've seen it years ago when I was a kid when Friday night late horror double bills were the norm.
Ginger Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 23:43
lionelmorton
Inactive Member

This superb movie got a great Bluray release a while back . Unlike its original cinema version its now uncut
lionelmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 23:48
Alrightmate
Forum Member

I also highly recommend A Field in England which is shown just before it at 11pm.
About 15 minutes from now.
I thought it was a very good film, but there is a lot of mixed opinion on this particular film with many not liking it to many rating it very highly indeed.
I only watched it for the first time a week or so ago, but I'm in the mood to watch it again tonight.
Old 02-11-2013, 23:48
wiseguy100
Forum Member

Cool. Had this film in my Sky planner when I recorded it from the Horror channel. Will delete and re-record from film4 cos of the HD.
wiseguy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:48
Z Stardust
Forum Member

I was going to give A Field... a whirl tonight. Depending on that I may have a look at Satan's Claw to see if I've seen it years ago when I was a kid when Friday night late horror double bills were the norm.
Do you remember a blonde bird with awesome knockers dropping her cloak and saying "do you like what you see?"? If so, you've seen it.
Z Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 14:22
Johnny Clay
Forum Member

^ Ah, the things that stick in the mind.

Watched it last night along with a second viewing of A Field in England. My second cracking double bill this week.

Both fantastic in their own right. Loved the harsh ruralness* of 'Satan's Claw and AFIE currently my film of the year.

*rarely saw a scene with any sunlight, just a bleak, blank sky throughout. Lovely touch.
Johnny Clay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 17:16
mike65
Forum Member

Its been shown on the Horror Channel three/four times at least in the last two years, does Film4 count as a terrestrial channel these days? Is it on Freeview?

Great film, with a lovely feel for the English countryside (and nubile boobs )
mike65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 21:28
Alrightmate
Forum Member

I really liked Blood on Satan's Claw, but I have to say it, I thought that the ending wasn't very good.
Old 03-11-2013, 23:41
lionelmorton
Inactive Member

Do you remember a blonde bird with awesome knockers dropping her cloak and saying "do you like what you see?"? If so, you've seen it.
Linda Hayden may be very nice to look at but her knockers are definitely not in the awesome category

If she floats your boat you can finally see the scenes of her masturbating in the notorious video nasty Expose as its been recently released uncut in the US on a Bluray / dvd double pack under its other title- House On Straw Hill.
All the scenes the BBFC cut are back in
lionelmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:55
spiney2
Forum Member

very brief glimpse of wendy padbury's ample chest (thanks zoe). more than the free online version but not as good as original release.
spiney2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:50
Brass Drag0n
Forum Member

Linda Hayden may be very nice to look at but her knockers are definitely not in the awesome category
For a moment I thought it was the model Cara Delevingne when I saw the eyebrows

Also, who was the brunette with the great boobs who appeared in the final "mass" at the ruin. Had she been in the rest of the film or was she just shoe-horned in at the end because she was willing to get naked and "dance"?

Not that I'm complaining mind, she had a great rack.

Terrible film though
Brass Drag0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 20:20
Pearl Necklace
Forum Member

Oh god this film scared me to death when I was a naughty 7 year old and sneakily stayed up to watch it on my bedroom TV. I had nightmares for weeks! I think I just got past the bit with the gardening shears and that was me done, I was straight under the duvet. My mother wasn't very sympathetic

I love horror movies, the scarier the better, but I still haven't been able to watch this one all the way through because of the bad memories!
Pearl Necklace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:36
Kal_El
Forum Member

Watched it last night for the very first time. Both me and the missus very big Wicker Man fans.

Have to say we really enjoyed it, but we definitely got the feeling that a great chunk was missing somewhere. There seemed to be a couple of big leaps in the story, such as the young lass Angela's original possession and the villagers seemingly immediate compliance to the creature. Both seemed to me to have little to no explanation and somewhat rushed through. But overall it was a very solid 70's horror film with some surprisingly shocking bits.
Kal_El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:46
Gusto Brunt
Forum Member

A bit of a kinky horror for its day. I've seen it a few times. Good horror.
Gusto Brunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 18:05
balthasar
Forum Member

Watched it last night for the very first time. Both me and the missus very big Wicker Man fans.

Have to say we really enjoyed it, but we definitely got the feeling that a great chunk was missing somewhere. There seemed to be a couple of big leaps in the story, such as the young lass Angela's original possession and the villagers seemingly immediate compliance to the creature. Both seemed to me to have little to no explanation and somewhat rushed through. But overall it was a very solid 70's horror film with some surprisingly shocking bits.
That was my thought too, that story arcs seemed to have been
dropped.
balthasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 20:19
Z Stardust
Forum Member

If she floats your boat you can finally see the scenes of her masturbating in the notorious video nasty Expose as its been recently released uncut in the US on a Bluray / dvd double pack under its other title- House On Straw Hill.
All the scenes the BBFC cut are back in
I was about 13 the one and only time I recall seeing BoSC, seeing any knockers on TV was awesome.
Z Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote