Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Best way to make a tv smart?

Old 03-11-2013, 16:13
*Sparkle*
Forum Member

I'm considering getting some kind of add-on device for my parents to hook up to the tv to give them access to the iPlayer and the various other options that come with smart tvs and similar devices.

They have got a "perfectly good", and reasonably modern tv and Humax recorder, with no intention of upgrading either any time soon, but they don't have a laptop and don't like going to the computer to watch iPlayer.

Catch-up tv is probably the main thing, and perhaps the extra sport that streams via the BBC Sport app, but come Christmas, we might appreciate YouTube, Skype and Netflix etc.

I was thinking about a Blu-ray player, even though they have a "perfectly good" DVD player that they hardly use!

Is there anything else I should consider? I've got some spare Homeplugs, so would use that for internet.
*Sparkle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 03-11-2013, 17:37
*Sparkle*
Forum Member

Apologies for replying to myself, but I've just discovered that you don't need to sign up for a subscription to get the Now TV box to work, so that's definitely the cheapest way to get iPlayer, and it's nice and small, but I was hoping for Netflix, which is unlikely to change as it's considered a competitor for Sky's services.

It's also very white and a bit shiny and might be hard to hide! Perhaps more suited to the tv sitting on the fridge.
Old 03-11-2013, 18:09
emptybox
Forum Member

I'm presuming your "Humax recorder" is an old one, that doesn't get any of the catch-up services?
emptybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 21:54
David (2)
Forum Member

Apple tv or Google box might b worth a look.
David (2) is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 23:14
*Sparkle*
Forum Member

I'm presuming your "Humax recorder" is an old one, that doesn't get any of the catch-up services?
I have a new one with on demand, plus a smart tv. It's my parents who lack the on demand facilities, so I'm hoping to get them an add on for Christmas, but they wouldn't accept a new box. They'd consider it a waste, and so would I when there are much cheaper alternatives.

I've ruled out Apple tv, because as far as I can tell, it doesn't come with the iPlayer, and the only way to get it on is to have an iPhone or iPad, and my parents have neither of those. It's also more expensive than the DVD players and Now TV I've been looking at. They wouldn't be downloading anything from iTunes either.

Is google tv not just a platform that is on some of the boxes/tvs?

I've managed to work out that the Now TV hardware is essentially a much cheaper Roku, but with Netflix removed. At just £10, there isn't much to lose, so I might just go for that, but the removal of Netflix is annoying.
Old 04-11-2013, 00:54
Matt D
Forum Member

Apple tv or Google box might b worth a look.
No iPlayer or other catch-up services on the Apple TV, and I think not on the Google one either.
Matt D is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:52
Winston_1
Forum Member

I've got some spare Homeplugs, so would use that for internet.
Don't do that. Throw them in the bin and use a CAT 5 cable connection. Homeplugs are bad technology that cause interference to your neighbours.

http://www.ban-plt.co.uk
Winston_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:56
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

Don't do that. Throw them in the bin and use a CAT 5 cable connection. Homeplugs are bad technology that cause interference to your neighbours.

http://www.ban-plt.co.uk
Usual rubbish from Winston - they are perfectly legal, and almost certain NOT to interfere with your neighbours.

Don't bother looking at the anti-PLT website he posted either, it's just a similar minded persons personal rant - the official sites disagree entirely.
Nigel Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:12
Winston_1
Forum Member

Usual rubbish from Winston - they are perfectly legal, and almost certain NOT to interfere with your neighbours.

Don't bother looking at the anti-PLT website he posted either, it's just a similar minded persons personal rant - the official sites disagree entirely.
Usual lies from a radio ham who should know better.

Yes, they are legal. They WILL cause interference as being legal cannot change the laws of physics. Nigel has never posted links to these so called official sites. Do they exist?
Do look at my link, then you can form your own opinions. Also look at this BBC White paper.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/publications/whitepaper195
Old 04-11-2013, 13:50
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

Usual lies from a radio ham who should know better.

Yes, they are legal. They WILL cause interference as being legal cannot change the laws of physics.
See, you're at it again - just making it up.

They MAY cause interference in a tiny number of cases, as is proved by the actual OFCOM cases.

There's no 'WILL' about.

Nigel has never posted links to these so called official sites. Do they exist?
I didn't post them, but YOU did - until it was pointed out that it proved you totally wrong.

Do look at my link, then you can form your own opinions. Also look at this BBC White paper.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/publications/whitepaper195
Which also contradicts your claims - and is one of the sites you stopped posting because of that.
Old 04-11-2013, 14:04
Winston_1
Forum Member

See, you're at it again - just making it up.

They MAY cause interference in a tiny number of cases, as is proved by the actual OFCOM cases.

There's no 'WILL' about.

I didn't post them, but YOU did - until it was pointed out that it proved you totally wrong.

Which also contradicts your claims - and is one of the sites you stopped posting because of that.
I just don't get you. You are a radio ham and presumably passed an exam on radio theory to get a licence, and you work in a service capacity in the TV field. Yet you repeatedly deny the laws of physics. If you feed RF into an unbalanced, unmatched, unterminated line it will radiate. Radiation that is not intended is interference. ALL Homeplugs WILL cause interference in EVERY case. Whether people nearby are affected or not depends on whether they are trying to use affected equipment but none the less the interference is there.

The BBC White paper does not contradict my claims at all. On the second page QUOTE:

"Operation of the PLAs caused interference to indoor-portable reception of both FM and DAB broadcasts, in varying degrees from no effect to total disruption. The ‘digital cliff’ of DAB reception means that when interference occurs the impact is extreme. The PLAs were also found to disturb reception of FM using an external antenna at one of the homes."

Can't be much clearer than that.
Old 04-11-2013, 14:38
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

I just don't get you. You are a radio ham and presumably passed an exam on radio theory to get a licence, and you work in a service capacity in the TV field. Yet you repeatedly deny the laws of physics. If you feed RF into an unbalanced, unmatched, unterminated line it will radiate. Radiation that is not intended is interference. ALL Homeplugs WILL cause interference in EVERY case. Whether people nearby are affected or not depends on whether they are trying to use affected equipment but none the less the interference is there.
If no one is affected, there is no interference - I suggest you try looking up the meaning of the word?.

Pretty well ALL electronic equipment generates RF, which 'can' cause interference - and such equipment has to meet legislation regarding it.

The HomePlugs meet the required legislation, so no problem, although there 'may' be interference in a small number of cases to a small number of people - as with any electronic item.

The BBC White paper does not contradict my claims at all. On the second page QUOTE:

"Operation of the PLAs caused interference to indoor-portable reception of both FM and DAB broadcasts, in varying degrees from no effect to total disruption. The ‘digital cliff’ of DAB reception means that when interference occurs the impact is extreme. The PLAs were also found to disturb reception of FM using an external antenna at one of the homes."

Can't be much clearer than that.
No you can't, which totally contradicts your claims - I've underlined the relevant parts.
Old 04-11-2013, 15:10
Winston_1
Forum Member

If no one is affected, there is no interference - I suggest you try looking up the meaning of the word?.

Pretty well ALL electronic equipment generates RF, which 'can' cause interference - and such equipment has to meet legislation regarding it.

The HomePlugs meet the required legislation, so no problem, although there 'may' be interference in a small number of cases to a small number of people - as with any electronic item.

No you can't, which totally contradicts your claims - I've underlined the relevant parts.
So interference only exists while someone switches on their radio? They switch off because they can stand it no longer and by your definition there is suddenly no interference until they switch on again. What a strange interpretation!

You are arguing for the sake of it. Interference generated by most electronic equipment is incidental and can be suppressed without affecting its operation. Homeplugs depend it for their operation. Even the manufacturers know it and notch out ham frequencies. Why would they do this if they didn't cause interference?

Homeplug manufacturers self certify, but independent tests have shown some of them to exceed permitted limits by a factor of ten. Read some of the links which you also say are wrong.
Old 04-11-2013, 16:08
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

You are arguing for the sake of it.
No, I'm refuting your ludicrous claims, that aren't supported by any of the facts - according to your claims every single home plug in use is interfering with all it's neighbours - something which is entirely untrue.

Perhaps you should try using a few modifiers in your claims? - such as 'may', 'possibly', 'in a small number of cases', 'to a tiny number of users'.
Old 04-11-2013, 17:37
Winston_1
Forum Member

No, I'm refuting your ludicrous claims, that aren't supported by any of the facts - according to your claims every single home plug in use is interfering with all it's neighbours - something which is entirely untrue.

Perhaps you should try using a few modifiers in your claims? - such as 'may', 'possibly', 'in a small number of cases', 'to a tiny number of users'.
Every single Homeplug in use creates interference. FACT. If the neighbours are using receiving equipment in the relevant bands they will (not may) get interference.
Old 04-11-2013, 17:41
scruffpot
Forum Member

I'm considering getting some kind of add-on device for my parents to hook up to the tv to give them access to the iPlayer and the various other options that come with smart tvs and similar devices.

They have got a "perfectly good", and reasonably modern tv and Humax recorder, with no intention of upgrading either any time soon, but they don't have a laptop and don't like going to the computer to watch iPlayer.

Catch-up tv is probably the main thing, and perhaps the extra sport that streams via the BBC Sport app, but come Christmas, we might appreciate YouTube, Skype and Netflix etc.

I was thinking about a Blu-ray player, even though they have a "perfectly good" DVD player that they hardly use!

Is there anything else I should consider? I've got some spare Homeplugs, so would use that for internet.
If your parents have a tv with an hdmi connection.. consider something like:
http://www.roku.com/uk/what-is-roku
http://www.nowtv.com/
http://www.ebuyer.com/501755-sumvisi...one-android-x2 (if google play has all the on demand things you want) - you'll probably want a small keyboard and a mouse

there are variants around of smart tv boxes I think Which? did a few reviews...

In terms of the internet and the arguments above just do what works for you. I have a small pc connected to my tv in the front room running windows7 With ethernet cables under the carpet, where as the other machine that i use for streaming works perfectly and fast over the wifi, just depends how strong your signal is.
scruffpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 18:46
Mr Dos
Forum Member

Every single Homeplug in use creates interference. FACT. If the neighbours are using receiving equipment in the relevant bands they will (not may) get interference.
I have 2 pcs (that are part of my little render farm) in the bedroom, connected to the rest of the render pcs in the lounge via homeplugs. I render 24/7 and the homeplugs transmit GBs of data an hour. I have an AM/FM radio in the bedroom connected to the same mains outlet as the homeplugs and don't get any interference at all. Ditto lounge TV, kitchen radio etc. All the anti-PLA stuff is BS.
Mr Dos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 19:28
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

That's why your ridiculous comments can't be taken seriously, how do hope to promote your cause by posting utterly incorrect claims all the time?.
Old 04-11-2013, 19:30
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

I have 2 pcs (that are part of my little render farm) in the bedroom, connected to the rest of the render pcs in the lounge via homeplugs. I render 24/7 and the homeplugs transmit GBs of data an hour. I have an AM/FM radio in the bedroom connected to the same mains outlet as the homeplugs and don't get any interference at all. Ditto lounge TV, kitchen radio etc. All the anti-PLA stuff is BS.
Not entirely, but Winston ludicrous rants are.

As I've said all along, there is a possibility of interference under certainly circumstances, and to certain users (all reports listed by OFCOM have been radio hams - and to keep Winston 'happy' I include SWLs in that).
Old 04-11-2013, 19:41
*Sparkle*
Forum Member

If your parents have a tv with an hdmi connection.. consider something like:
http://www.roku.com/uk/what-is-roku
http://www.nowtv.com/
http://www.ebuyer.com/501755-sumvisi...one-android-x2 (if google play has all the on demand things you want) - you'll probably want a small keyboard and a mouse

there are variants around of smart tv boxes I think Which? did a few reviews...

In terms of the internet and the arguments above just do what works for you. I have a small pc connected to my tv in the front room running windows7 With ethernet cables under the carpet, where as the other machine that i use for streaming works perfectly and fast over the wifi, just depends how strong your signal is.
Thanks.

I wasn't actually asking about the Homeplugs. Just letting people know I already had that angle covered, so didn't need advice on it. I should have realised that it was an invite to some to do so anyway!

My parents live in a big detached house on the edge of a village, so not much chance of annoying the neighbours. The reason I've got them spare is I got them with my BT Vision Box. I didn't realise that's how they were going to connect it and had a panic about all of the reported interference, but so far they cause less interference to my devices (ie none) than my portable phones do. I got a new set as I wanted one with a double output so I could get rid of that ethernet cable that was making my hall messy.
Old 04-11-2013, 19:54
shhftw
Forum Member

Winston_1 - you know one 'fact' that you are determined to pass into truth by telling it to as many people as you can.

I'd quit while you're a good way behind.

FACT - You are being bombarded by NUCLEAR radiation every second of every day. And one day you WILL die.

Do you want to join the dots?
shhftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 21:26
Dansky+HD
Inactive Member

Is it just me or is off topic the only source of amusement for the regulars on these forums.

I have some crazy ideas in my posts but I'm always on topic.

Some weird tension happening lately.
Dansky+HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 23:51
Winston_1
Forum Member

Homeplugs generally radiate interference between 2 and 30MHz, the high speed ones extend to 300MHz. If you use the low speed ones and the AM part of your radio is MW you obviously won't hear the interference as it not in that band. I assure you Homeplugs are proven to cause interference and it is not BS. Please read the links, earlier in this thread, you don't have to take my word for it.
Old 04-11-2013, 23:58
Winston_1
Forum Member

[QUOTE

As I've said all along, there is a possibility of interference under certainly circumstances, and to certain users (all reports listed by OFCOM have been radio hams - and to keep Winston 'happy' I include SWLs in that).[/quote]

So, you don't even know the difference between a radio ham and a SWL?

Think about it. If you cause radio interference, the people to complain are going to be radio users, what is so surprising about that?
Old 05-11-2013, 00:07
Arcana
Forum Member

An android device, either a smart TV box / dongle or even a tablet with hdmi output, is a good jack-of-all-trades particularly for people already using android on their phone or whatever.

I have a bunch of 'smart' devices connected to my 'dumb' TV but if I had to pick just one it would be the android dongle. If you can make do with its limitations, however, the Now TV box is a fab bit of kit for the price.
Arcana is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote